Help me decide: s40 or v20

cruzKurt

I have had various recumbents over the years, I just turned 60 last year and got interested in more biking and less running. I have a Bacchetta Corsa older model and had some issues with the bike, so I started looking for a replacement. I stumbled upon Cruzbike, not sure how, but it happened. I ended up buying a QX100 locally and have been practicing my riding on it and got bit by the bug. I am in the market for more of a road bike now for general training and riding, all for health and fun. I live out in the country (Eastern NC) and have access to miles of flat roads to ride on. Eventually, I would like to do some extended trips, maybe camping, maybe credit card touring. I don't have access to try either of the s40 or v20. I am concerned if I go with an S40, I will regret not having a more reclined seat position. I am not sure I have any other real concerns other than maybe a speed difference associated with a v20. One bonus is I can get an s40 directly from Cruzbike. Interested in any comments or thoughts. I have been thru multiple pages of posts on this and the v20 forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on camping and carrying any amount of gear that equals more than a Scarab bag - an S40 is the only real option. The V20 is like a time trial bike - it is not designed or intended to haul panniers or any other amount of gear other than the usual stuff to support a race run.

The S40 is my personal fave.

DocS

Guru
I've had the Silvio 2.0, S40 and Vendetta. For me, the Vendetta was the most comfortable, with the Silvio coming in second. As for speed, the Vendetta, but the other two weren't slouches either...
I like the wider tire options on the S40 for Texas roads, but couldn't get really comfortable with the 40 degree seating... I got recumbutt, so sold the S40. I've seen a couple local folks Bikepack on a Vendetta, but as Robert said, the S40 is built more for that...

Blessings,
DocS (Rudy)

3bs

whereabouts unknown
eastern nc is pretty far from here, but i have both you could just come ride them back to back.

i have ridden both on trips of more than a week. i think there is a pretty significant difference in the bikes. the s40 is a better backpacker as the rear triangle is a bit sturdier and it takes a rack better. with the raised seat angle you get a better climb. but once you are situated on the v20, the increased wind resistance of the s40 can be a bit annoying. actually i would suggest the q45 over the s40 as the suspension really makes a difference on rough roads and limestone mup. i don't have a q, but i have a sofrider, and i have done more than century on it on gravel, and it is quite noticeable. its not as fast as the v or the s, but its really a different type of bike.

there are also quite a few people who swear that they get recumbutt on the s40 and not on the v20. i think this is valid. but i ahve thor seats on both v and s and i dont have a problem. one thing about the sofrider is i can rake the seat way back too, so when i am rolling flats i keep it reclined.

i have rudys old s40, and i took off the rack and went to a narrower tire and made it a 2x10. amusingly, i am in the process of turning it back into more of a bikepacker and putting the rack back on and going from 28 tires to 40's. i want to test how the s40 with a ewider tire compares to the suspended sofrider.

BikeGary

I have a Silvo 2.0 and I've put a rack on the back, and the large scarab pack underneath for commuting. I have read about a guy in Norway who has these "banana" bags alongside his seat on a V20 who does ultra fast touring. For me, the lack of bosses in the frame limits the weight the rack can carry and thus the amount of gear. You could do a similar mounting job on the V20, but you would have trouble putting a full camping load on the bike. (tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, clothes etc.) The S40 has what you need for that type of a ride.
@Tor Hovland Is the V20 Rider who has this setup. Maybe he can provide the details on his rig.

Last edited:
I think you just need both. I am in Hilton Head and have both you can try if you make it down this way.
I wish I would have seen this a couple weeks ago. My son's tennis team did their spring break trip on Hilton Head Island. So I was looking for some recumbent rental places and I would have LOVED to have tried the S40 and V20 when we were there. My other son might make the same spring break trip next year and if he does and I still haven't gotten my hands on either of those bikes for some trials, I may reach out

BikeGary

One other thought and that is to tour with a trailer. (There is at least one member who has done this.) That way you don't care if your V20 has all the frame mounts etc.
Opps: Found the post, and he did not like it. (nor touring with a loaded V20)

But @LarryOz 's suggestion, to get both, is probably the right one :)

TomM

eastern nc is pretty far from here, but i have both you could just come ride them back to back.

i have ridden both on trips of more than a week. i think there is a pretty significant difference in the bikes. the s40 is a better backpacker as the rear triangle is a bit sturdier and it takes a rack better. with the raised seat angle you get a better climb. but once you are situated on the v20, the increased wind resistance of the s40 can be a bit annoying. actually i would suggest the q45 over the s40 as the suspension really makes a difference on rough roads and limestone mup. i don't have a q, but i have a sofrider, and i have done more than century on it on gravel, and it is quite noticeable. its not as fast as the v or the s, but its really a different type of bike.

there are also quite a few people who swear that they get recumbutt on the s40 and not on the v20. i think this is valid. but i ahve thor seats on both v and s and i dont have a problem. one thing about the sofrider is i can rake the seat way back too, so when i am rolling flats i keep it reclined.

i have rudys old s40, and i took off the rack and went to a narrower tire and made it a 2x10. amusingly, i am in the process of turning it back into more of a bikepacker and putting the rack back on and going from 28 tires to 40's. i want to test how the s40 with a ewider tire compares to the suspended sofrider.
Which Thor seat/seats have you put on your CruzBike? TomM

cruzKurt

Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply, seems I can get my hands on a v20 easier than a used S40 or S30. I like Larry's suggestion and I will have to live with having both bikes maybe, who knows. But I appreciate the input.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply, seems I can get my hands on a v20 easier than a used S40 or S30. I like Larry's suggestion and I will have to live with having both bikes maybe, who knows. But I appreciate the input.
I think you'll love a V20. I've never ridden an S40 but it seems like a very capable tourer that is fast. However, some CBers have turned their fast V20s into light tourers with the addition of the a Scarab bag. Being more interested in squeezing out the most mph of speed with a tad bit of touring capability instead of vice-versa I chose the V20. I'd have a very hard time in finding how much further I got with the V20 on a lightly loaded touring ride compared with the S40, if any at all, but when the bags came off I'd notice that speed difference right away. I've never had recumbutt on my V20 even doing 7-8 hour rides, and I think that is likely because of the reclined position getting more of my upper body weight on the seat instead of putting pressure on my butt. Would I get recumbutt on the S40? Probably not because I would add a thin foam layer like I did on my V20, but who knows? With all that being said, I can't realistically find anything I would change about the V20. Some folks complain about starting and stopping in traffic and they have a point or two with the seat height and angle. With a bit of practice with cold starts or even doing the butt slide it's not a big issue. I think you'll find that all of the above, and more, will reveal that a V20 is going to add a lot of enjoyment to your rides.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a v20... it eats roads for not many watts... I am 60+ and prefer to spin and prefer less drag so it doesnt kill my knees. If you do trails... try the s40... with disc brakes you can get 650b wheels with big tyres that give you better suspension. My V flies but is a bone shaker on rough ground

Last edited:

cruzKurt

I have a v20... it eats roads for not many watts... I am 60+ and prefer to spin and prefer less drag so it doesnt kill my lnees. If you do trails... try the s40... with disc brakes you can get 650b wheels with big tyres that give you better suspension. My V flies but is a bone shaker on rough ground
Thanks DavidCH, I turned 60 last year so appreciate this. I have agreed to purchase a 2019 v20 and am excited to get it and ride. Currently riding a Bacchetta Corsa and have a Bacchetta Carbon Aero I am repairing for the road. I will start a new thread I guess when I get my bike so I can document my journey.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Good... but it a little forgiving go for the 650b with big tyres and a thor seat. If you want it for speed and being super cool stay with stock. I have a disc brake up front and a rear rim brake which works very well

M00se

For me I started with the S40. I know would love to have a V but I don't think I would be able to see out of my glasses in the right spot lying that far down. Just a thought if you wear trifocals, or progressive glasses.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I've had the Silvio 2.0, S40 and Vendetta. For me, the Vendetta was the most comfortable, with the Silvio coming in second. As for speed, the Vendetta, but the other two weren't slouches either...
I like the wider tire options on the S40 for Texas roads, but couldn't get really comfortable with the 40 degree seating... I got recumbutt, so sold the S40. I've seen a couple local folks Bikepack on a Vendetta, but as Robert said, the S40 is built more for that...

Blessings,
DocS (Rudy)
Well, this is a nice disccussion. @cruzKurt , glad you finally got a V20!

I've never ridden a V20 but Iam blessed to have a S40 gifted to me by some great friends here. I love my S40 and I ride it alot despite my initial fit and hotfoot issues.

I can personally confirm that the S40 with the stock seat indeed has a recumbutt issue (probably not affecting everyone). But I believe it can be fixed or reduced. I think it is cuased by the shape and design of the stock seat when in combination with the 40deg recline angle.

(Probably I should have started a entirely different thread (here) all together about how to fix recumbutt on S40).

First and foremost, the boom should be properly adjusted to allow optimum knee bend(145-155deg) while at a full leg extension of the pedal stroke. (Bonus tip: If you experience numb feet(aka hot foot), set the cleats about 25mm behind the ball of your feet. I personally just drilled my old spd shoes and moved the cleats backwards. No need to spend money on custom shoes. Then adjust the boom to compensate for the change in the effective leg length.)

The stock seat has an adjustable plate at the bottom that should be extended out to give proper support and hence avoid the likelihood to slide forward on the seat.

The shape of the bottom of the stock seat also lacks the necessary bowl-like curvature and therefore cuases the glutes to seat realtively flat on the seat. Consequently they bear the forward sliding weight while pedaling. The key is to find a way to slightly suspend the glutes. I used some pieces of form padding on the edges to create a bowl like shape which reduces pressure on the glutes. I hope this makes sense.

1656317527683.png

All in all, proper shoulder/neck support (note my plastic diy neck rest), relaxed hands, a little patience plus these modifications may reduce or resolve the recumbutt issue on S40. However, you may need to give it a few rides and allow your body to adapt before you make your conclusions. (Oh yeah, and I reduced the thickness of the stock pad slightly .. -20mm or so. It was too thick for my taste.)

1656318416956.png

Cruzbike recently released an adjustable carbon seat for the S30/S40/V20/V20c which I guess probably @Robert Holler and team took into consideration these matters. I have not tried their new seat but hope it is way better and wider than the stock seat.

Last edited: