Thor Easy GS Medium mount to S40

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I ordered the Thor GS easy carbon seat with the ventist cushion for the S40. So what's the average shipping time to get to the states?
Too bad you didn't ask before ordering it. I've purchased 3 seats and 3 Ventist pads at different times. The first two took over a month to deliver. The last one, I asked Greg via email for express shipping and handling. He charged more, don't recall how much, but I didn't care. I had already invested in ~$1000 in seats. What's a little more for shipping. I got it in 3 days. I think it only took a week for some folks. With Covid, the USPS is moving overseas mail slowly. Good luck,

Bill

Edit: You can still ask for an expedite. His email is contact@thorseat.eu. You can pay him the extra via PayPal.

Last edited:

Sonnybea

Too bad you didn't ask before ordering it. I've purchased 3 seats and 3 Ventist pads at different times. The first two took over a month to deliver. The last one, I asked Greg via email for express shipping and handling. He charged more, don't recall how much, but I didn't care. I had already invested in ~$1000 in seats. What's a little more for shipping. I got it in 3 days. I think it only took a week for some folks. With Covid, the USPS is moving overseas mail slowly. Good luck,

Bill

Edit: You can still ask for an expedite. His email is contact@thorseat.eu. You can pay him the extra via PayPal.

Sonnybea

I did not use the velcro along the length. For the top part, I used a putty of the thermoplastic pellets to put in between the Thor seat and frame and push it down hard so that the top part of the seat rests at along about 2-3 inches of plastic conformed to both contours of the seat and the frame. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermoplastic+beads&crid=20C14LOOGEXLA&sprefix=thermoplastic,aps,241&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13 I suppose I could have put a strip of velcro there.
So basically it's 2 bolts at the bottom and zip tie at the top. I have been riding like that for 2000 miles with no issues.
I just recieved my thor gs easy seat yesterday. So I cut off the wings at the top of the frame, my question is the bottom of the seat the wings come in contact with the rails of the seat can you just drill thru the rails and mount the seat this way

Leif

I just recieved my thor gs easy seat yesterday. So I cut off the wings at the top of the frame, my question is the bottom of the seat the wings come in contact with the rails of the seat can you just drill thru the rails and mount the seat this way
You might want to scoot the seat back a little until the rails clear the wings.

Attachments

• thor.jpg
    thor.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64

Leif

Thank you for the picture. The spacer between the seat and mount is that a piece of thick rubber, I was thinking of using the molding plastic
Thanks again
Yup. That's a piece of rubber. I imagine molding plastic will work fine too.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
wings come in contact with the rails of the seat can you just drill thru the rails and mount the seat this way
It is clear somewhere on the thor site that the ribs are essential to the seat structure so don’t cut or drill through them. If you must then make sure to contact greg from thor first.

Last edited:

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Thank you for the picture. The spacer between the seat and mount is that a piece of thick rubber, I was thinking of using the molding plastic
Thanks again
Personally, I prefer a rubber shim. It provides some dampening against the ubiquitous Texas chip seal roads. Just don't make it too thick or the seat will rock a bit from side to side. I used just enough to clear the ribs and I experience no sway, and I'm 230 lbs.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Thanks for the info Robert. I will try every option until I find a solution. I need to have something I can ride continuously for a year. For now, I have another order in to Thor for a LARGE GS Easy seat. The Thor seat did solve my recumbutt but I had a back/hip pain issue. The medium seats do feel too small for me. I'm hoping that with the large seat and some combination of cushions, I can make the S40 work for me.
FYI, the large GS Easy seat was, in fact, too large. The bend for the lumbar support lands in the middle of my back. Very uncomfortable. I tried innumerable cushion iterations with no success. Had to go back to the medium GS Easy and work on my hip problem. I'm using it with the Ventist cushion with some success, though I haven't put any large miles on it. I went to an orthopedist for the hip. He prescribed some arthritis ointment that may be working. I'm mostly posting this to inform about the seat size. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and a large does not work for me. Once I get some reasonable miles in, I'll report back.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
FYI, the large GS Easy seat was, in fact, too large. The bend for the lumbar support lands in the middle of my back. Very uncomfortable. I tried innumerable cushion iterations with no success. Had to go back to the medium GS Easy and work on my hip problem. I'm using it with the Ventist cushion with some success, though I haven't put any large miles on it. I went to an orthopedist for the hip. He prescribed some arthritis ointment that may be working. I'm mostly posting this to inform about the seat size. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and a large does not work for me. Once I get some reasonable miles in, I'll report back.
You can probably try to sell the Thor seat here and get most if not all your money back. 1 week shipping seems to be great incentive. :)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master

I’m 6’1” and the L is perfect. Not surprised it’s too big for you at 5’8”

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I’m 6’1” and the L is perfect. Not surprised it’s too big for you at 5’8”
I was desperately trying to find a solution to my recumbutt and hip pain. I have failed. I plan to tour with the medium seat with two Ventist pads and live with the recumbutt. I'm not happy about it but I ran out of things to try. I think the optimum touring bike would be an S20. Basically and S40 with the V20 seat angle. It would be the perfect touring bike. I'm sooo comfortable on the V20 but it can't handle the weight of the gear. flops around like a wet noodle. Even tried a trailer. It was even worse. I start my year long tour next week. It may be cut short by butt nerve damage. We'll see. I may have to find an alternative recumbent brand to tour with if I can't get used to the S40. I'm hoping weight loss will help.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Sending comfort vibes your way.

A couple other things you probably already do that apply easier to touring than mid-race ae making sure your stretching well, not over-stretching but not neglecting them either. And frequently getting off and walking around for a few minutes helps reset the blood flow from bike muscles and restrictions to everywhere.

All the best on your ride and if it is possible it would be great to see some posts from it.

I was desperately trying to find a solution to my recumbutt and hip pain. I have failed. I plan to tour with the medium seat with two Ventist pads and live with the recumbutt. I'm not happy about it but I ran out of things to try. I think the optimum touring bike would be an S20. Basically and S40 with the V20 seat angle. It would be the perfect touring bike. I'm sooo comfortable on the V20 but it can't handle the weight of the gear. flops around like a wet noodle. Even tried a trailer. It was even worse. I start my year long tour next week. It may be cut short by butt nerve damage. We'll see. I may have to find an alternative recumbent brand to tour with if I can't get used to the S40. I'm hoping weight loss will help.
I sympathize with you. I can ease my recumbutt by intermittently lifting my butt using the pedals for support. Kind of like standing for a while when I used to ride a DF. I think that may be adequate for you. I know others like to tour with the more upright S40 and Q45. Personally I’m thinking the V20 with a wider fork (like the S40 has) combined with wide tires would make a comfortable tourer. That is if I can maintain stability while loaded and reclined that much.
I’ll be following your progress and hope things work out well.