How I spent my Summer Vacation (an ongoing vendetta saga)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Neat idea, but color me skeptical. I've had lights break off from some of the spleen busting holes I've hit. Not convinced a magnet would have held.
Yeah I won't be using those for lights; but I have other ideas :cool:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Nice clear photo of the Parts prior to painting.

Water bottles attach at the bolts at the ends of the black "Y"

View attachment 824
ratz this is a work of art. very well done. will you insulating the mount at the headrest bar? that sugru magnet ad was hilarious. has some real potential there. i have read about many travellers on crazy guy on a bike using it for mounting solutions.

jond

Zen MBB Master
These arrived in the mail....

Suddenly I feel a *cough* coming on; I think I might have to take the afternoon off.

View attachment 877
ohh oh oh all this christmas in july stuff is getting out of hand. see ratz budget envy. awesome ratz have fun. nothing like new toys to lift to the stratosphere the cruzbike pilot. :)

ratz

Ratz has earned the "I installed the Power2Max Rotor 3D onto a Vendetta" badge.

Holly crap batman that was a challenging install. Love my bike but I'm not going to morn the death of the BB Cup Clamp; and the self ejecting derailleur hanger.

The power meter spider just just just clears the BB Cup Clamp. To get a working fit I had to gently file the paint off the weld of the clamp; my frame had a sloppy right-side weld compare to the left side. So patience and care resolved that. Then I had to offset the clamp alignment to the left 1mm to allow for the Rotor and Enduro Bottom bracket preloading. The Rotor clamp preloads the BB against a o-ring on the non drive side; and the Enduro BB uses a wave washer to pre-load the drive side. This actually worked well together to give the power meter the correct clearance versus the BB. In the end it worked good and spins great but having never worked with the rotor cranks before (slightly modification of Shimano's system) it took too much thinking. There is a longer spindle available as an option from rotor and that probably would work well; if paired with BB cup 2mm MTB spacers on each side. I considered that mid way through but wasn't sure I'd like the Q-factor; so the paint got filed instead.

If anyone else attempts to do this in the future feel free to PM me for detailed steps to save you time. (If you don't have the power meter then it would a simple straight forward install).

So now we have a power meter that can actually measure Qrings. Sampling and calculation rate on this unit is 50hz, so the variable angular moment is accounted for.

FYI I ordered the GXP BB on error; thanks to great design from the RWC guys All I had to do was pound out the right side shim and the BB converted into as shimano 24x24 BB. Brilliant design.

Power2MaxV1.jpg Power2MaxV2.jpg Power2MaxV3.jpg Power2MaxV4.jpg

ratz

Interesting like all things bike maintenance it not what you know it's what you've done wrong before. The second install on Mrs Ratz Silvio went perfect and took about 25 minutes total. It just a appear that the weld lines on my Vendetta were the main cause of problems. The fit on the Silvio was perfect, but also aided a lot by knowing how the unit goes together for a good fit.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz,
Interesting like all things bike maintenance it not what you know it's what you've done wrong before. The second install on Mrs Ratz Silvio went perfect and took about 25 minutes total. It just a appear that the weld lines on my Vendetta were the main cause of problems. The fit on the Silvio was perfect, but also aided a lot by knowing how the unit goes together for a good fit.
I agree with you totally, as long as you do the second bike fairly soon after the first!!!, and as you get older, that time between the two bike upgrades NEEDS to be sooner than later, as some details seem to drift off into vaporware??!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Have you done any rides over similar courses that you have ridden using your OLD power meters on?
Are the effective CdA the same?

ratz

When are you going to become a Cruzbike Dealer???

Hmmmmmm..... Actually Mrs Ratz's business is going to morph to recumbent focused. Being the chief mechanic I can reveal that pluckyblond.com will likely start offering custom build to order services after I retire from my main job. I have to hire a couple more guys to run the main computer business so I can get down from 100 hours a week to 20. Between now and then maybe a few here and there for anyone that can track me down.

ratz

Have you done any rides over similar courses that you have ridden using your OLD power meters on?
Are the effective CdA the same?

I started last night; already learned my left leg is a wimp; I would have bet you dollars to donuts that it was the other way around. Also learned that shifting my sitting a spot left or right a tiny amount can throw my power balance off up to 10%. That makes a strong case that a race setups should use a crotch molded seat to keep the racer in position left to right during hard efforts. Maybe just a foam insert for events as I don't think I'd want to ride that sort of seat day in day out.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
I started last night; already learn my left leg is a wimp; I would have bet you dollars to donuts that it was the other way around. Also learn that shift my sitting spot left or right a tiny amount can throw my power balance off up to 10%. That make a strong case that a race setups should use a crotch molded seat to keep the racer in position left to right during hard efforts. Maybe just a foam insert for events as I don't think I'd want to ride that sort of seat day in day out.
fantastic effort in making the setup work ratz. the bike looks great. so very interesting having the left right split turn out opposite from your subjective...... actually a concern.? how about comparing left leg right leg spinning only. interesting the seating position too. keep up the great work. you would be a fantastic bike dealer :) so what is the shop going to be called eh? tan's bicycle works/ tan's two wheels/velotan ........ "did you know bob works there ? " :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I started last night; already learned my left leg is a wimp; I would have bet you dollars to donuts that it was the other way around. Also learned that shifting my sitting a spot left or right a tiny amount can throw my power balance off up to 10%. That makes a strong case that a race setups should use a crotch molded seat to keep the racer in position left to right during hard efforts. Maybe just a foam insert for events as I don't think I'd want to ride that sort of seat day in day out.

Is this what is needed?

http://gearjunkie.com/shark-fin-bike-saddle