I'll just hop that curb!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I was out with a really fast group of guys on Tuesday. It was my first time riding with this group. They are a really friendly bunch, and fast. Recumbent? No problem! So, toward the end of the ride, only a few quick miles from the shop, I was out front and didn't know I should hop on the bike path. I heard them yelling, so I whipped around and was going head on straight into a nice big, sharp, concrete curb. "No problem!" my brain said. "Just hop the curb like you used to do on the upright." So I went head on into the curb and pulled up hard. And KAPOW! I blew not only my tube, but also my tire. And bent the rim. And was stranded. So I called the bat cave for an emergency extraction (wife) and had to listen to you know what on the phone. "I thought you were Superman!" "No, I can't fly, obviously. No x-ray vision. No special powers. No flying in outer space or over curbs. I just go fast. That's my thing." "Well, how fast can you walk home?"

LMT

Ouch, not good. Another thing I've learned is going up a kerb which has been lowered, be sure to go up at an angle which is as close to perpendicular as possible with the kerb. You get into a habit of approaching a kerb on a DF at a shallow angle and lifting the front wheel, which you cannot do on a recumbent. Glad you are okay.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I was out with a really fast group of guys on Tuesday. It was my first time riding with this group. They are a really friendly bunch, and fast. Recumbent? No problem! So, toward the end of the ride, only a few quick miles from the shop, I was out front and didn't know I should hop on the bike path. I heard them yelling, so I whipped around and was going head on straight into a nice big, sharp, concrete curb. "No problem!" my brain said. "Just hop the curb like you used to do on the upright." So I went head on into the curb and pulled up hard. And KAPOW! I blew not only my tube, but also my tire. And bent the rim. And was stranded. So I called the bat cave for an emergency extraction (wife) and had to listen to you know what on the phone. "I thought you were Superman!" "No, I can't fly, obviously. No x-ray vision. No special powers. No flying in outer space or over curbs. I just go fast. That's my thing." "Well, how fast can you walk home?"
Bummer Joe - Hope you and your bat-mobile are ok now! I won't try that since you did - I mostly like sliding down the road on my butt! :)

BJ686

Maybe a front suspension system like on the old Silvio's would've helped! Glad it was only the wheel and tire that took the damage

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You need to ask Jond how to wheel hop over a Wombat at 50 kph!!!

At least you stayed upright!!!
And hear about it from the Emergency Extraction Crew for ?? years!!!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Terrifying! What was your speed? Is your wheel destroyed? Did you land badly?

I don't think this sort of thing is covered in the famous ratz instructions.

Nor is wombat-hopping.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Ouch. Quick repair and you will be back on the road in next to no time. Great that you have a new bunch of friends. Let them lead for a while. Pleased that you are ok

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Terrifying! What was your speed? Is your wheel destroyed? Did you land badly?

I don't think this sort of thing is covered in the famous ratz instructions.

Nor is wombat-hopping.
Don't know the speed, but I was accelerating. Wheel is functional after a trip to a bike shop, a truing, and some rim bending - but it will need replacing. I came to an abrupt stop, did not go over the bars, did not do a reverse wheelie, did not fall over. Just heard a gunshot-like sound marking the end of the race - almost. The B riders blew past me eventually since I got my speed back up to 2 mph after dismounting and walking.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Dang Joe, you're brave.

So: What wheel do you have in mind to replace the one you blew up?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
OW!

Time for a set of those Light-Bicycle 88's!

cyclocross-rims.JPG

:cool:

DavidCH

I guess an airbag protection device on the handlebars might help. Can't help but think it was a near impact with the undercarriage.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I guess an airbag protection device on the handlebars might help. Can't help but think it was a near impact with the undercarriage.
Due to the low c of g of the rider on a Vendetta or Silvio compared to a DF and especially a MTB DF rider when standing up, the Venstta can brake 200% better than a DF rider and %%%??? better than a standing DF rider

Last edited:

DavidCH

Due to the low c of g of the rider on a Vendetta or Silvio compared to a DF and especially a MTB DF rider when standing up, the Venstta can brake 200% better than a DF rider and %%%??? better than a standing DF rider
Nice to know, especially in a peloton. Imagine with disc brakes and in a peloton. You could brake really well but the guy behind you won't. If you have disc brakes; best to stay to the side of the peloton or at the back.