It has became normal

Kenneth

While there are a few things I am still trying to master like hand's free riding or climbing extreme inclines, i no longer go riding on a cruzbike I now just go riding.....on my bike
All aspects of riding my S40 have now become normal and I'm no longer thinking about balance or pulling with hands or stops or starts. Once in a while I don't have a clean start at an intercetion and I just reset my pedals and start again ,without panic or thinking about it.
All in all it felt good to realize this and I encourage anyone who doesn't yet to stay the course, because it will come
Cheers

orind

So, how many miles/hours did it take to get to that point for you?
My first two wheeled recumbent was a catlike Musashi--great bike, but I remember "learning" to ride it--took a few weeks before it was normal for me. Then came the Rans Rifle- since this was similar to the Musashi, really no learning curve.
Now it is the S40--I was able to pretty much get my feet up and peddling around the driveway no problem. Then it was a large parking lot--again, no real issues, just a little different. I took it up the hill in my neighborhood today--I have a 10% climb from the end of my drive to get out of the neighborhood--no issue climbing or coming back down--still a little different, but not show stopping.

I am sure once I commute to work once or twice the different aspect will go away--still waiting for snow to melt, and the gravel to be swept up--figure a few more weeks.
The one aspect that really stands out to me so far is this thing can sprint--pour on the power and it goes.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Because of arm, shoulder, back, and rear end pain :( I developed when comutting after 40 years of riding I became attracted to the idea of recumbents on reclining seats. But I did not like bicycle drivetrain chains and was on the lookout for axel drive recumbents. I found axel drives but did not find what would work for me. But later found Cruzbike.com with regular sized chains. So I lurked on the forum for some time and read every post and practised on my bicycle by putting my legs on top of the handlebars and pretend pedalling my 'recumbent' before it slowed down too much to stay upright. I took the dive and bought a Q559 in Jan '15, but my first minute riding it I wondered what I got myself into.

But since I had done my research and read how to ride FWD (this is key) and knew that not only have many riders mastered riding Cruzbikes, and many have personal, course, and world records riding these bikes. And I had read and watched learning to ride materials on the Cruzbike web site.

So I rode around our town lake and felt better after each ride. Also did the figure eight drills. Did this every day for one week. Then feeling much more comfortable on my Q than the first ride, I started commuting to work on it and about 10 months later bought my X100. Found out that I did not need a lumbar support any longer since I did not have one to put on the X when I started to ride it. Today I am still commuting and taking adventure rides on my Cruzbikes over 3 years and 15,000+ miles later.

However, instead of getting faster as many Cruzbike riders I have slowed down since I am much more comfortable riding now not having to end the pain and numbness by getting to my destination as fast as possible. And I have started to spend more time sightseeing and 'smelling the roses'. Other's may have different experiences as the vast number of racing record finishes to this day show! :p

So how long it took for me depended on both how much I learned about riding the FWD Cruzbike from the Cruzbike website and later my actual riding.

You say quit with the personal history!:mad:

OK, so you asked how many miles/hours?

Ha! Depends on you!:cool:

Do your research on the Cruzbike website, reading the learning to ride postings and watching the vids, then when riding your Cruzbike; that is after the initial 'what have I got myself into', you do the learning to ride lessons starting from lesson 1 on.

Then with experiencing each successive ride, you, as I did, should become more comfortable with the FWD nature of the Cruzbike. ;)

So, as I did to learn to ride my first Cruzbike, my Q, as Nike would say:

'Just Ride It!':D

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
OK, since you asked, I rode up to 20 miles each day for the first week. Then when comutting I usually ride only 6 miles each way to/from work, sometimes more if feeling adventurous depending on time, and each week I felt more comfortable on the Q. I continued drills, and with only the 12+ miles daily to/from work I was feeling like riding my Q was second nature around the 3rd month. This is in my opinion minimal riding, but several times a week which if my memory serves it is not long rides but getting into the seat often, even short duration a couple times daily some say they experience better adaption to a Cruzbike.;)

Last edited:

quickbeam

Commuting is the way to train the bike.
After a certain point, sure. Initially though I was definitely scared to ride in traffic, because the bike would swerve seemingly with it's own mind. It took me awhile before I could stay on a sidewalk, then the task was to swerve around small potholes. It took a few months to get comfortable riding close to things/people/cars, but I was only putting on 5-10 miles a week (partly because I got the bike in the winter, so conditions were spotty, and I wasn't going fast anyway in the drills).

The way it seemed to me was the first time I got on the bike, I was quite unstable. The next time I was half as good as I used to be on my previous bike. And each time I rode, I improved by half : 75% as good, 87%, 93%, etc. It took awhile to get to where I couldn't tell the difference.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I'm 5 rides in on new S40 build over about 8 days. 30-90 minutes each time. After that time I can make it go in the desired direction without much thought. Starts are easy on a down grade or flat. Slight uphill is about a 50:50 venture. More than a slight uphill start is a - turn the bike around and go the other way or find a level driveway to get a start! Biggest issue is speed. At 10-12mph it feels nice and stable though not stable enough to drop 1 hand to take a drink. At 15mph essentially a rapidly approaching disaster. I'm guessing that will come w time. This is a very good process for anyone needing an ego-ectomy! But no saddle pain or post-ride numbness which is what made me hang up the DFs!!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
It takes a long time for everybody to learn the uphill starts.

If you have been a leg-shaver on your DF it will feel frustrating riding your brakes downhill at 15mph. Steep climb is good because you can do the watts without the wobblies. Do the mileage, and your speed-limit will increase, and you will be frying eggs on your rotors, like RojoRacing.

Seth Cooper

I'm up to 80 miles on my vendetta. I'm pretty comfortable on it, but still weave a bit from time to time. My last ride had two significant achievements:
1. I set a PR on my local 0.4 mile sprint segment. It's a fun little segment because a chicane at the start keeps the entry speed low and works the handling, then it is max effort for about 60 sec. Beat my best DF time by 1 sec, topping out at 32 mph.
2. I crashed for the 1st time. Riding a way that I rarely go, I came up on a ~2" step on a concrete path entering a bridge. It looked small enough thought I could somehow hop it, I yanked on the bars, and bam! and I was bucked off and onto the ground. Oh well, a small tear in the bib and a sore butt cheek.

Anyone have any tips for negotiating small steps in the path on a CB without suspension?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Also learned today to watch for obstacles on tough climbs. Today I was grinding up a hill of about 12-14% at 12mph and went over a 1" diameter stick. Front wheel spun out and I almost lost it. Steady and even spinning is much better than mashing up hill.

Brad R

I'm up to 80 miles on my vendetta. I'm
2. I crashed for the 1st time. Riding a way that I rarely go, I came up on a ~2" step on a concrete path entering a bridge. It looked small enough thought I could somehow hop it, I yanked on the bars, and bam! and I was bucked off and onto the ground. Oh well, a small tear in the bib and a sore butt cheek.

Anyone have any tips for negotiating small steps in the path on a CB without suspension?

If you can ride over it without damaging your rims or snakebititing your tubes, then go slow enough to prevent damage and maintain control. There is no hopping on an MBB bike.
There is generally no hoping on any recumbent bike. So front wheel drive is not at a disadvantage for this condition. If you can’t roll over it, then walk or go around.

Sounds like you are having fun. Enjoy the ride.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I remember seeing a video a while back where ?John Tolhurst? or someone demonstrated mounting a curb with a sofrider / Quest or something. They did it like this:
-sit up
-plant both feet just before the wheel gets to the curb so that the momentum caries your weight (and the bike with it) pivoting up on your legs
-once the wheel is above the curb continue on your way
-the rear wheel will follow (and help you return to regular position)

Note: this was with a rear-suspended bike so it may not work as well with a V but I have done similar with my unsuspended conversion kit so it can be done without suspension.
- finding the right amount of momentum to carry into the maneuver is going to be the hardest part - too slow and you will stop half way through, too fast and you'll curb it, bounce off balance, or lose control. But in the video they showed it broken down and in a smooth practiced action that didn't look as awkward at all.

Now if I can just find that video...

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
It's crazy to intentionally hit a curb with a vendetta. You're risking pinch flat, rim damage, bent fork, and CRASH and of course all the fun that goes with those things. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's crazy. I'll stick with my answer (on foot). That's essentially what the video benphyr was looking for implies.

cyberphage

glad I found this thread about MBBs and curbs.
I was pretty sure there was no hopping over a curb, or similar obstacle, as on my DFs; this confirms it.

thanx

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Seth Cooper said:
I came up on a ~2"step
That is huge, more like a wall. Do not attack kerbs. They get offended and hit back.

There are police in London who can ride their bikes down flights of stairs. Get a bike like they use.

Seth Cooper

Yeah, I'm not trying that again without a better plan.
I might practice the set your feet down and vault up technique, I'm waiting for the video