It has became normal

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I do the sit up and plant both feet to 'hop' up a curb on my Quest 559 and my Quest X100. Note: my Quest 559 still has stock steering triangle. But my X100 has a modified steering triangle similar to the V/S/Q45. My curb jumping technique is similar for both but I have to sit up/slide back in the seat more with theX100 modded steering.

The first time I did it I sat up approaching the curb, STOPPED as I planted both feet while lifting the front wheel up the curb still straddling the seat, walked onto the sidewalk bumping the rear wheel over, then flintstoned to get going.

I've experimented to try to make a speedier as well as smooth transition from the roadway up, and have a couple of times almost bumped myself off my bike! :eek:

So I have stopped trying to speed up, but been able to smooth out the process by doing the above and adding a hesitation as the rear wheel is about to hit and just let it roll up the curb. Then Flintstone forward as I slide into the seat.

Last edited:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
A couple more rides in and I can finally feel major progress. Out for about 15 miles of rolling hill park roads so few cars. Actually had a few stretches where I wasn't thinking about riding - just riding. 15-17mph now feels pretty comfortable most of the time. Still not feelin in a clip in mood but that should come in another week. Then I'm guessing it's just logging the miles.

Dave Arnold

A couple more rides in and I can finally feel major progress. Out for about 15 miles of rolling hill park roads so few cars. Actually had a few stretches where I wasn't thinking about riding - just riding. 15-17mph now feels pretty comfortable most of the time. Still not feelin in a clip in mood but that should come in another week. Then I'm guessing it's just logging the miles.

You'll get there--we all do.

quickbeam

You can go down a curb easily enough at slow speed (I have rear suspension). I have gone over small-size parking stoppers (whatever the proper name is) in a parking lot, with just enough momentum to carry me over, but I don't recommend making a practice of that. Just wanted to make sure I could handle it if I suddenly came up on the situation.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
small steps
Yep... I make sure I don't pedal. Keep the feet on the pedals and lift your bottom up so you are resting on your shoulders. You still might have jettisoning bottles so go slow and you should stay on. This works on rough roads, not kirbs. Nothing works on kirbs. Going down a kirb perhaps but up a kirbs... never.

jond

Zen MBB Master
My fat bike eats curbs for breakfast but my vendetta is very particular with a strict diet of df s for brekky lunch and tea. Morning tea afternoon tea. Late night munchies.

Seriously protect your steed lovingly dismounting for curbs.

Some huge potholes on the rural roads around me, I've managed to avoid them so far on the S40 apart from one rids, but managed to hit one hard enough to puncture on the M5 last winter, not fun changing a rear that's 135mm with a 132.5 spacing, on a verge in the cold.

The S40 seems a lot bouncier but no kangaroo - I'll stick to avoiding the kerbs for now

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Ventured out on first group ride w the new S40. 40 miles at an easy pace. After the ride everybody wanted to try the CB since nobody had seen one before. Interestingly the only two able to hop on and immediately ride on down the road without trouble are both part time high wheeler riders. Both said the CB felt very similar in terms of balance etc.

dtseng

Look at this cruzbike training:
youtube.com/watch?v=lrMrGbaUCgs

There is no trouble to ride over the obstacles such as car-stops at the parking lot and door steps. In bikes such as softrider and quest with more up-right positions, it's more difficult to pull the handlebar during climbing because the handlebar is very close to the chest.

Last edited:

Opik

Commuting is the way to train the bike.

This was basically how I got used to the recumbents I bought. The other key is research.

Starting was another point that was hard. But then, "Just move the bike first" makes it easier. Just like how going downhill first makes learning brakes and steering and pedalling so much easier. Moving the bike first with your leg down and pushing will create the move momentum, which makes it easier to pedal.

Before that, I was just like a madman pushing my back hard against the seat and mash the pedal as hard as I can while swaying left and right

It's just the same with DF. starting from a stop by Kicking the ground, moving the bike, then pedal is easier then standing up and mashing the pedals, but as we'are used to it, we can do it. We forgot how we swayed left and right then fall