Japanese Odyssey with a S40

Marcel Graber

Dear Cruzbike Family,

I've finished two weeks ago the Japanese Odyssey with the S40.
The Japanese Odyssey is a self-supported bikepacking race with around 1500 miles and 130'000 feet of climbing.

I've used the standard S40 Frameset/Seat with a 1x12 (9-52) SRAM AXS setup and Parcours Gravel wheels with a SON Hub-Dynamo and GP5000 AS 35mm tires in tubeless setup.

The S40 was a perfect fit - no pain - no problems.

Thanks for this great bike!

Attachments

• pic-segment1.png
    pic-segment1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
  • cruzbike-s40-kagoshima-start.png
    cruzbike-s40-kagoshima-start.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

CruzRider

That sounds like a lot of fun. Also an impressive achievement. Kudos to you!

I really like how you have maximized the storage space on the S40. That is a very clean setup.

Is this your first bikepacking adventure? Do all the bags change the handling of the S40? Do you have any tips on climbing?

Marcel Graber

Is this your first bikepacking adventure? Do all the bags change the handling of the S40? Do you have any tips on climbing?
For me the S40, because of the moderate angle, is more relaxed in climbing than my V20 before. Till around 12% on paved surface, it works very well, but it had also some mandatory gravel climbing... but I had good shoes for walking ;-)

Marcel, I remember following your Oman race attempt. I am truly impressed.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job Marcel - When you start planning things for 2024 - let me know and I can suggest some things you may be able to set WUCA and Guinness for. You need to plan them about 1 month ahead. email me at wuce.world.records@gmail.com and I can give you all the info about applying and setting world records. This is how Maria, Jim, and I have done them. Jim and I are actually on the board of WUCA now and I am also the chairman of the records committee.

Marcel Graber

Great job Marcel - When you start planning things for 2024 - let me know and I can suggest some things you may be able to set WUCA and Guinness for. You need to plan them about 1 month ahead. email me at wuce.world.records@gmail.com and I can give you all the info about applying and setting world records. This is how Maria, Jim, and I have done them. Jim and I are actually on the board of WUCA now and I am also the chairman of the records committee.
Thank you Larry, this is very kind! At the moment I have no plans for 2024... if you have a nice idea, let me know ;-)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Of course you already know of the TABR (Congratulations BTW), but how about tackling several unsupported bike races in a single year?

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Well, there is one thing AI gets right as it tries to imitate humans... how to use a lot of words to say just about nothing. That this bot has confused the S40 with a car model gives me hope.

Maria Parker

Administrator
Dear Cruzbike Family,

The Japanese Odyssey is a self-supported bikepacking race with around 1500 miles and 130'000 feet of climbing.

I've used the standard S40 Frameset/Seat with a 1x12 (9-52) SRAM AXS setup and Parcours Gravel wheels with a SON Hub-Dynamo and GP5000 AS 35mm tires in tubeless setup.

Marcel! This is so great. We'd love some more details and pictures if you have them. You can email them to me or post here. maria@cruzbike.com

garychuck

Dear Cruzbike Family,

I’m putting together an S40 and would like to know more about your gearing.. I’ve ordered the sram rival electronic 12 speed shifters with hydraulic brakes.. are you using electronic or cable.. I’ll have to convert my Chris King hub to the XDR in order to use the 12 speed cassette.. you can PM me if you prefer.. messenger or email Gary Chuck…. chuckgary2000@yahoo.com

garychuck

I’m putting together an S40 and would like to know more about your gearing.. I’ve ordered the sram rival electronic 12 speed shifters with hydraulic brakes.. are you using electronic or cable.. I’ll have to convert my Chris King hub to the XDR in order to use the 12 speed cassette.. you can PM me if you prefer.. messenger or email Gary Chuck…. chuckgary2000@yahoo.com
Sorry about my manners… congratulations on the Odyssey and keep postings with lots of pictures.. all the best for the holidays and the new year.. if every in Atlanta Georgia let me know..

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
This is easily the most epic thing I have ever seen for a recumbent to accomplish. I have doubts there are many (any?) other recumbents out there that could finish this sort of challenge.

And kudos to you for the incredible physical feat this must be!

CONGRATS!

Last edited:

CruzRider

As a fellow S40 owner, it is thrilling to know the bike is capable of such incredible feats. The rider is a different story.

Kudos once again to Marcel for his accomplishment.

Velocivixen

A hearty congratulations from Oregon, USA! You really are an inspiration as to what the body & mind can do.

I would be interested in your experience wiring your dynamo-powered lights. I have a “front” 650b dynamo hubbed wheel that I built for a different bike, and have been pondering installing it on my Q45. Thanks!