Just a taste

Nanda H.

Today I was able to get the Silvio's cables dressed. Only ran into one blip...the rear derailleur even with the High adjustment screw backed off would not line up with the 11T cog. I wasn't phases and when through the rest of the gears, which all worked well with the DA bar end shifters without any in-line adjusters. One of the demo customer asked to straddle the Silvio before I had even got the chance, but no worries, I was able to analyze all the ergos and bar and boom adjustments for a rider near my size.

After the demo customers had departed, I did one final pre-flight and checked the snugness on all the critical fastners after pulling in the boom to match my leg reach. I waddled out doing a Flintstone impression and paddling my feet to get up a little speed to feel the Silvio out before planting my feet. As soon as I found the pedals, the FWD concept started to sink in, along with the learning curve that I had anticipated. Even as a relatively experienced bent rider, this was a whole new game, but not too foriegn to many short wheelbases I've owned. Applying lite pedal pressure was the key to relaxing enough to let the brain compute what was going on. After several laps my confidence was building and I started to muscle the pedals and let the bb wander around, then finally realized the counter arm-pulling techinque equates to some serious forward acceleration. This was quite addictive, and I realized I should probably grab a helmet as the speeds were increasing. At the storage facility where I run http://www.spincyclz.com/ the straight aways are long, and I pedalled strong there but coasted in the turns as the legs and arms compete a little to get the Silvio into a turn.

I used electrical tape to hold all the cables in place as I knew there would be some adjustment required, before getting the handlebar sorted. With the Nitto Noodle bars, the same 2" cut off the ends that others have done would also work well, and drop the bar-end shifter to within 1/2 a palm away from the regular hand position. Maybe the Nitto Mustache bar will be a good option as they are almost like a flatened out roadie bar.

Final assembled weight with some average platform pedals and heavier Schwalbe Stelvio 700x28mm tires was 28.4lbs, not too bad for a plush riding bent. Oh yes, the suspension was a welcome addition, and further enhanced with the large volume tire.

Can't wait to get some more seat time on this black beauty. I just kept thinking...John is a genius :idea: and that the Silvio has some massive potential both for noobie bent riders and seasoned riders looking for a new challenge.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Nanda,

I ran into the same limit problem for the rear derailleur.

The derailleur hanger is very thick to make it strong - that offsets the derailler to one side and exceeds the limit screw capacity.

I robbed a limit screw from an inexpensive derailleur (like a TD-one from a walmart bike) that was longer. It fit the Campy Centaur derailleur fine and solved the top cog problem.

Have fun,

Doug

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
+1 about John being a genius. What a design! Talk about thinking outside the box! I still cannot figure out how it is I'm riding on 700c wheels, yet sit lower than I did on my 26/20 Vision. This approaches miraculous in scope. Also, the ride... The bike just soaks up rough pavement. I'm in awe.

Mark

Nanda H.

Hardtailcruzer wrote: Hi Nanda,

I ran into the same limit problem for the rear derailleur.

The derailleur hanger is very thick to make it strong - that offsets the derailler to one side and exceeds the limit screw capacity.

I robbed a limit screw from an inexpensive derailleur (like a TD-one from a walmart bike) that was longer. It fit the Campy Centaur derailleur fine and solved the top cog problem.

Have fun,

Doug

Thanks Doug. I backed the limit screw all the way off but the RD wouldn't travel further down to the 11T. It has no problem getting into the 34T.

Nanda H.

Got some Silvio pix posted:
[URL='http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6097.JPG class="bb-url">http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6097.JPG[/URL]
[URL='http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6131.JPG class="bb-url">http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6131.JPG[/URL]
[URL='http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6121.JPG class="bb-url">http://spincyclz.com/images/IMG_6121.JPG[/URL]

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Nanda,
What i was wondering, since I saw it on Mark's bike too, was how come you cross the cables over on top there, why not just turn them down and through the cable routing under the stem sleeve? Kind of hid them away more. Is crossing the cables over some kind of custom or superstition? ;) I just want to get rid of them, if it were possible.
55_7af382438cac2f2fb1754e7b315e3f4d

On the above, the gear cables don't look to bad if you get them the same length, and the knee clearance just means a little more consideration on the set up but very manageable. Maybe I over did the caution on the Silvio component selection page. Really for all the alternative, the shimano sti works like magic on this bike.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: Nanda,
What i was wondering, since I saw it on Mark's bike too, was how come you cross the cables over on top there, why not just turn them down and through the cable routing under the stem sleeve? Kind of hid them away more. Is crossing the cables over some kind of custom or superstition? ;) I just want to get rid of them, if it were possible. [attachment]IMG_3833.jpg[/IMG]
On the above, the gear cables don't look to bad if you get them the same length, and the knee clearance just means a little more consideration on the set up but very manageable. Maybe I over did the caution on the Silvio component selection page. Really for all the alternative, the shimano sti works like magic on this bike.

I crossed mine to keep a larger radius on the bend to make the shifting easier.

Mark

Nanda H.

johntolhurst wrote: Nanda,
What i was wondering, since I saw it on Mark's bike too, was how come you cross the cables over on top there, why not just turn them down and through the cable routing under the stem sleeve? Kind of hid them away more. Is crossing the cables over some kind of custom or superstition? ;) I just want to get rid of them, if it were possible. [attachment]IMG_3833.jpg[/IMG]

It was my first instinct to keep a larger radius without cutting into the already tight pedaling area. I had a bit more slack in the cables also before actually sitting on the bike and adjusting the boom out a bit. I like the headbadge on the headtube, more visable then under the cable mess. Mounting the badge was a snap, just leave a piece of tape over it for a good hour or so, and it stays seated.

If my WTB bars arrive today, then I will do the Paul Thumbie setup with the Barcons front and center (like gun sights :) Guess my goal was to have it as clean as possible, partly why I didn't want to jump on the STI's right away.

The real question is....is that a carbon boom in that photo?????

Nanda H.

Yahbut, I can't get Campy parts from my supplier which is why I am leaning towards a clean SRAM Force DoubleTap setup with a compact crank set.

So Mark, what is your rear cluster? You mentioned on your climbing ride report that you could have used some slower gearing, and got some wheel spin (don't know your own quad strength). What size chainrings are you running up front?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Nanda,

I'm running a 54-42-30 on the front and a 12-25 (I think) on the rear. There were only a couple places where I would have liked another tooth, or two.

The wheel slippage is more due to my tires and my weight distribution, I think. I'm pretty heavy right now, which switches the weight bias to the rear. My tires are cheap, old and dried out 23c. I bet it acts a whole bunch different with some decent rubber up front. I think the gearing will be fine, too, as I get back into some kind of condition.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Here's another example: I don't feel the radius is tight at all.
55_ac0601611fcc26bbf38984ae9ef33119

BTW those are the mtb style road bars I found at the Taipei show.
55_83c51b3064be8dd083c8c42f4b910361

The side view shows the rest of the cable path.

John my WTB Mountain Road Bars angle out at about a 40 degree angle from the brake hood to the bar end, it looks like those bars you show in these pictures angle before the brake hood and then go straight down after the brake, which doesn't provide the comfort of your wrists in a comfortable angle. My bars allow my hands to be in a comfortable grab position with my left hand going from 1:30 on the clock position and my right hand at 10:30 clock position (hour hand)

Rick Harker

Hi Mark,

I was just looking at your bars and wondering how they would be on a Sofrider only the other way around.

What's your thoughts?

Regards,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Hi Mark,

I was just looking at your bars and wondering how they would be on a Sofrider only the other way around.

What's your thoughts?

Regards,

Rick.

Hey Rick,

I think that might be a little weird, but who knows. I am thinking about getting another set for my conversion. If I do, I'll let you know.

Mark

Nanda H.

The WTB bar and Ultegra STI's arrived today...like Xmas in April eh.

I already pulled the Nitto Noodle bar, barcons, and Ultegra brake only levers and transferred the levers and shifters onto a crank forward touring bike with Mustache bars, which should be quite a looker.

1st priority is to get the Silvio back together with the new setup, and leave a little more room in the cables for longer legged demo riders. 2nd is finishing up a 700c Fusion project, and get some more progress on the touring bike. Lastly, I just got 7 bikes today for the Sea Otter Classic mtb festival, which I'll be prepping for the RANS demo booth. If your in the Monterey area 4/17-20, come and see my other passion.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Nanda H. wrote: The WTB bar and Ultegra STI's arrived today...like Xmas in April eh.

I already pulled the Nitto Noodle bar, barcons, and Ultegra brake only levers and transferred the levers and shifters onto a crank forward touring bike with Mustache bars, which should be quite a looker.

1st priority is to get the Silvio back together with the new setup, and leave a little more room in the cables for longer legged demo riders. 2nd is finishing up a 700c Fusion project, and get some more progress on the touring bike. Lastly, I just got 7 bikes today for the Sea Otter Classic mtb festival, which I'll be prepping for the RANS demo booth. If your in the Monterey area 4/17-20, come and see my other passion.

Busy, busy, busy..... It would be kind of cool to get a ride in, huh? ;)

Mark

Nanda H.

Surething Mark, I ride my custom Dynamik 3-4x per week, just love fast singletrack and the trailhead is a short 5 minutes from the house, a perfect warm up before the climb. Not sure how long the loop is, but it take about 1.5hrs door to door at a good pace, and sheds 1.5lbs if I do 3 loops per week, with reasonable eating. I get a better sweat mtb'ing then I ever did road biking, and it use's more muscles and more body english. Can't wait to hit the trail tonight for another quickie :oops:

BTW, the WTB bars are looking good, and so are the Ultegra levers (a tad heavy, one reason I was angling for the DA barcons)..oh well. Should have the Silvio prepp'd and recabled by Saturday for Peter to get another taste.

Nanda H.

Ultegra STI, with WTB bars

4d95.jpg

Making some progress in fitting the Ultegra STI's (my first experience with them as most RANSz runs SRAM, and I've never had a modern road bike). After looking at Brian's setup on the Yahoo Group home page, I think I need to slide my STI's higher up to eliminate the cable/knee interference I was hoping to avoid by using Barcons shifters, or SRAM/Campy shifters. Looks like he's got the rubber flats and the top of the bar flats about parallel eh?

The bars feel much more roomy, even just sitting on the bike in the floorstand and the STI's are the shizzz...can't wait for round II with the new setup :lol:

Sorry for being stubborn John with my barcon experiment, but evolution is a sloooow process and I am still a Cruzbike caveman :p