KOM Thieves :)

Kind of funny to me as this is the second time it's happened.
I've had this 2.8mi KOM for over 3 years. These 2 guys , who I know and are several years younger than me and very strong worked together with a 10+ mph tail wind to take this KOM yesterday :) It was before I had my Power meter so I cant get a power comparison but does show the superiority of the Cruzbike platform .

kom.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well, I like my bike setup. Just need to put covers on my rear wheel, lose the Xmas fat and eye up some KOMs , ideally away from the pro peloton routes. I did see a video last night of a racer cresting a carbon 68g mudguard... now if I enhanced that into a front aero guard then I am sure that would help significantly

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I have over 40 local KOMs with my V20 and V20c, and I've always felt a little bad about it because of the advantage I have on this bike. A few years ago I inadvertently took the KOM for the last 30 miles of our local century (I was just riding my ride, and had no idea there was a segment called "The last 30 miles"). Last year, I lost that KOM to an eight-person paceline with some local hammers in it. Like Andrew, I'm moving out of my KOM hunting stage, but when I saw that I got bested by a paceline, I thought, "Okay, game on!" On a solo training ride, I didn't cover the whole 70 miles before the last 30, but I did ride much of it, then turned myself inside-out for the final 30, regaining the KOM by almost four minutes. Eight vs. one, and the one currently holds the crown? I don't feel bad about that one. Now, the century is coming back around in April. If those guys decide to regroup, make a go of it, and take it back, they can have it, fair and square.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Losing KOMs stings, so I'll always try to take them back on a ride when the wind favors it. It was nice to see the difference in power numbers between the V20 and other fast riders on very fast bikes such as a Cervelo P5 though. While it is not exact because I don't know how good Kenta's position was, but he rode on the same day I did and we both had the exact same speed over 25km with a good tailwind. It cost him 286watts on his P5 to my 211watts, a difference of 75 watts. I'm assuming both of our power meters were working properly. Even if there is a 2-5% difference in his favor that is still very significant. Since the 2nd rider saves about 20% and a 3rd rider about 25-30% while drafting I don't feel bad taking KOMs from roadies who team up. There is a trio of triathletes who swaps KOMs with me and while it is nice having your name on the leaderboard I am just happy to keep getting PRs.

Beano

I too find it odd, I get using the wind to get that extra speed (I've done it myself.) But to go out as a team and draft each other is a no no imo. Yes one could say about the aero gains of a recumbent, but riding a recumbent is open to anyone to go out and do. It's another thing to team up and try and beat a KOM as it is not your sole effort, although having said that having just check the T&C's of Strava going out and drafting your mate for that bit of extra speed is allowed.

Does not help when you have the likes of GCN looking to run a chain gang up Alp D'Huez in order to get that KOM. Does not say much for the person who holds that KOM who had done the effort.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I agree 100% Beano. I don't remember there being a team option when I signed up for my Strava account. The worst case I saw on Youtube was a very strong woman rider in California who would kick the pants off me probably even on my V20. She was drafting off 2 very strong male riders. Of course she still had to put in a monumental effort for the QOM, but it depends on where people want to draw the line on what qualifies for the QOM. For me, that line is on the account signup page where we register as a single. Make different categories according to bike type like they do for world records if they want, but the effort should be solo. It is "King" or "Queen" of the mountain, not "Kings" or "Queens." I really only care about the PRs now, but that is why I put in the extra effort to go after the triathlete's KOMs.

There was a time when this really ticked me off. We have this father/ son 'team' in our area where all they do is train and race....wife/ mother is a big time Dr so I think they are both 'kept men' but, I digress. They took a KOM from me in the same manner. Very obvious, you could see by their power data that they were taking turns at the front. I , in good humor, teased them about it on Strava about it taking them both and the son lit up on me. Really getting nasty. Truth is... in my 30's that kid couldnt even sit my wheel. SMH, Oh well. A few months after this incident I saw them both out riding, I chased them down in short order while they were obviously working on staying away and sat their wheel until they turned off. :) Havent heard a word from them since.

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Just got a notification this morning when I woke that I lost a KOM by 1s. I clicked through it to find that the triathlon trio took way more than 1. And the guy who got something like 20 total KOMs during the ride, titled the ride "Arakawa 5km pulls south with Top Gunna." I am not sure if I should be glad he was honest that someone else helped pull him along parts of the ride.
On the side, I got a notification that my ride was flagged even though there is a link to a Youtube video of the ride in the description. You can even see my feet flailing around in it. What a joke! HAHAHAHAHA.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Because you were too fast for others?
Yeah, it was a really nice tailwind for a 42.9kph average for 25km. Unless I was drafting off an invisible car and just bicycling my legs off the front of a silent motorcycle it was pretty obvious that I was riding a bike. Perhaps the flagger should click on the youtube link in the description and check the Strava stats for what kind of bike I was riding. But hey...

CB should use this in a commercial. "Wanna get your Strava rides flagged because DF riders can't believe you actually rode that fast and stole their KOMS? Buy a new V20 today!"

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I was pretty mad at the trio of triathletes for tag teaming my KOMs haha. I just did the same 25km ride today with a really nice tailwind at 47.2kph, and it was flagged again. I can imagine that it is the guy who lost some of his KOM's, but probably not the triathletes. At least they know that recumbents are fast, and their egos likely aren't that fragile.
I protested the flag asking STRAVA to look at my over 2 years worth of rides to see that 40kph takes a little over 200 watts, and with a tailwind 50kph can be reached quite easily. The wind was strong today and flying down the river for a huge chunk of the ride. I was at 52.9kph for almost 7km on about 300 watts, and 58.9kph for almost 4.5km.

Not sure if you can see it because it is flagged now but here is a link to it...

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I did also Mathew. I really like that one. Recently though I was unable to get the GPX files uploaded into Garmin Virb Edit. I always got some kind of error, so I kind of gave up. Do you use a program to convert from GPX to a Fit file? If so, which one?

I did also Mathew. I really like that one. Recently though I was unable to get the GPX files uploaded into Garmin Virb Edit. I always got some kind of error, so I kind of gave up. Do you use a program to convert from GPX to a Fit file? If so, which one?
No, I’m using a Garmin which records the ride in fit format.
I haven’t tried the Cycliq app, but it’s supposed to work with Strava data.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
No, I’m using a Garmin which records the ride in fit format.
I haven’t tried the Cycliq app, but it’s supposed to work with Strava data.
Got it. I am using a Lezyne Mega XL with a 4iiii Power Meter, so there is probably a few more steps for me to go through to get the overlays on my vids.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Just got a message "This flag has been resolved" and the ride is fine now. Sadly, that might be the last strong downriver wind since the Summer winds usually blow the opposite direction. Maybe I'll get lucky with a hurricane instead lol.