KOM Thieves :)

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
It looks like you have a bit of a friendly rivalry going on. That he got it back so fast is impressive though. There is some room for improvement since you can still run dual discs which should be at least 6 seconds faster than Zondas. Either discs or cleaning up behind your head should be enough to get it back. And possibly keep an eye on the weather to make an attempt on a day that has a stronger tail wind.

All of the KOMs on my path have been set on very windy days. There is a Keirin track or two nearby that the Arakawa serves as sort of a training ground for some of the sprinters who take the short KOMs up to about 3km long. I don't really care about those anymore. Since there is no traffic lights for the first 37km of the path, the triathletes train on the Arakawa as well and go after the longer KOMs and they have most of them from about 10km-25km long. I took the majority of the ones that are from 25-43km, but the 10-25km are the ones that interest me again.

Here is why. the Sprinters are just quiet on their descriptions, but the triathletes are standoffish. No waves or head nods in return when I pass them going the other way. I followed a few of them for a while and saw all the pats on the backs they gave each other, and I occasionally gave kudos and commented when they posted a good ride, but just crickets. On 1 of my rides 1 of them commented what I thought was some crap about being on a recumbent so I replied with an explanation how Strava won't give us our own category so my hands are tied, and that my rides with KOMs keep getting flagged (maybe him?). He made a snarky comment after my explanation so now I have a new goal ;) It is Summer, so the winds blow up the river and those KOMs are up for grabs so I'm keeping my eye on the weather reports a few days ahead.
I'm considering going after every single KOM he has now if he won't let me keep my measly two KOM'S. lol

He has 33, I'm going to take at least half of them!

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Just flag the segment as dangerous and find someone else to fight with or make a new segment that is slightly longer or short that overlaps the riding path but includes sections that you have the advantage and own his arse on that one; he'll waste all his time trying to take it from you and you can go do other riding....

Not that I've ever done that before.
I'm having fun with it, I don't consider this to be a bad thing so I'm not wanting to do anything like that. I'll just keep working at it and hopefully take them back. If not, well that's just life I guess! But I think I can take it back at least one more time!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I'm considering going after every single KOM he has now if he won't let me keep my measly two KOM'S. lol

He has 33, I'm going to take at least half of them!
I was thinking it would be funny if you sat in a lawn chair under a parasol on the side of the road after taking it back and when he comes back you jump out in front of him with your arms open like Red Rover Red Rover shuffling left and right to block him would be a hoot.
I'd do that but the triathletes I'm competing with wouldn't see the humor in it :D

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
I was thinking it would be funny if you sat in a lawn chair under a parasol on the side of the road after taking it back and when he comes back you jump out in front of him with your arms open like Red Rover Red Rover shuffling left and right to block him would be a hoot.
I'd do that but the triathletes I'm competing with wouldn't see the humor in it :D
Dude, I'm gonna go start smoking his KOM'S next week, I get my new Blacklabel Aero 65's in on Sunday. This dude is gonna get wrecked.

I'm only kidding of course, but I'm going to give it all I have. That 2nd KOM I want back I rode it tonight, didn't even really try and I was only 5 seconds behind him. So I'm definitely going for that one first.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Dude, I'm gonna go start smoking his KOM'S next week, I get my new Blacklabel Aero 65's in on Sunday. This dude is gonna get wrecked.

I'm only kidding of course, but I'm going to give it all I have. That 2nd KOM I want back I rode it tonight, didn't even really try and I was only 5 seconds behind him. So I'm definitely going for that one first.
It's all about getting faster. I feel ya on the wheels. The improved aerodynamics as well as the placebo effect are gonna help. The effort and speeds should scare the crap out of ya so you'll know you gave it your all. None of the KOMs on my route are even a possibility right now but I checked Windy just to be sure because now I want some hahaha.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
It's all about getting faster. I feel ya on the wheels. The improved aerodynamics as well as the placebo effect are gonna help. The effort and speeds should scare the crap out of ya so you'll know you gave it your all. None of the KOMs on my route are even a possibility right now but I checked Windy just to be sure because now I want some hahaha.
Nice! I forgot about windy, but I'll definitely look at it every day and then strike when the wind is in my favor. Haha

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Fun conversation to follow. I have about 40 KOMs between my V20 and S30, and I've found that the ones that stick best are the longer ones, like 10 miles and up. And if there's one thing that the V does really well, it's holding a high speed for longer distances.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Fun conversation to follow. I have about 40 KOMs between my V20 and S30, and I've found that the ones that stick best are the longer ones, like 10 miles and up. And if there's one thing that the V does really well, it's holding a high speed for longer distances.
That's true. The only two KOM'S I have are 3/4 mile sprints. Those high end tri-bikes and a young dude behind the wheel and it's hard for even the V20 to outrun on a flat.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
As they say in the auto world "There is no replacement for displacement."

August and September are typhoon season in Japan, and I can't wait. Not only are the tailwinds massive, most people stay inside clearing up the bike paths. Even on the weekends all of the sporting events are closed on the river, meaning the workers don't bother to put up the gates making Saturdays and Sundays possible to ride without much interference.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
That's true. The only two KOM'S I have are 3/4 mile sprints. Those high end tri-bikes and a young dude behind the wheel and it's hard for even the V20 to outrun on a flat.
I think too, that riders on DF bikes have a short-distance advantage in that those riders are in a better physical position to put out bigger watts, compared to the laid-back position that the V puts us in. So a young dude with beefy legs can put out big 500+ watt efforts for a short drag race, but then that's it. He'll have to pull it back. In the meantime, the V rider has been humming along at a similar pace at 250 watts, which, if he's fit, he can hold all day long (or at least for a many miles).

Check to see if the dude has any higher milage KOMs and start targeting those. Bonus: It's a great training plan.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I think too, that riders on DF bikes have a short-distance advantage in that those riders are in a better physical position to put out bigger watts, compared to the laid-back position that the V puts us in. So a young dude with beefy legs can put out big 500+ watt efforts for a short drag race, but then that's it. He'll have to pull it back. In the meantime, the V rider has been humming along at a similar pace at 250 watts, which, if he's fit, he can hold all day long (or at least for a many miles).

Check to see if the dude has any higher milage KOMs and start targeting those. Bonus: It's a great training plan.
I used to make segments out of 90% of a 30-mile route. At first, it was just a gag to game the Veloviewer signature graphics. Odd though, people started competing on them so I guess people will still chase a rabbits; even the long-legged ones.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever

This is a great strategy. I'll start chasing his long KOM'S and snatch those. His average mph on rides isn't that much, something like 16mph. I'm sure I can take a few of those.

M.J

Agreed.
I have a couple of 30-milers (clockwise and counter clockwise of the same route) that are only coming down if a dedicated trio or foursome of roadies decide to go after them.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Just an update to this thread, but I came within less than a second of taking it back. I got interrupted by two cars, and at the end, I was sure that I didn't have it so I backed down a little. I think I would have easily taken it by 3-4 seconds if not for that chaos. I'm waiting a few days, but this weekend I'm going to push my legs to the brink! I hit 30mph on flat road, it was both exhilarating and scary, haha.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Nice going braddah but that sucks to hear about the minor slow downs. Scary is good though. I came around a small bend today that is overgrown so the guy who just ran down the steps and right into my path almost caused a collision. I was too low for him to see me until I was already at his feet, and I barely got out a "HOLY $#!T" before flying right between him and a cyclist. I didn't even say "sorry" because I already stepped on the gas and I don't think he would have heard me anyway because I probably blew his eardrums out with the first scream.

Gotta make a new snarky title for the ride too for when you take it back lol.

I had a good ride today, but didn't even get a single PR and certainly no top 10. It's okay though because it is typhoon season ;)

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Nice going braddah but that sucks to hear about the minor slow downs. Scary is good though. I came around a small bend today that is overgrown so the guy who just ran down the steps and right into my path almost caused a collision. I was too low for him to see me until I was already at his feet, and I barely got out a "HOLY $#!T" before flying right between him and a cyclist. I didn't even say "sorry" because I already stepped on the gas and I don't think he would have heard me anyway because I probably blew his eardrums out with the first scream.

Gotta make a new snarky title for the ride too for when you take it back lol.

I had a good ride today, but didn't even get a single PR and certainly no top 10. It's okay though because it is typhoon season ;)

I might wait until I put on Ratz Flo 90's that I just bought. That gets me slighlty more aero than the Reynolds Aero 65's, I think anyway. :D

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Start with just the 90 on back; if you loose it ; then put the 90 on front and take it back again :)
Well, it's definitely a lot easier to swap out the rear wheels than doing both. But you know (and appreciate) the aesthetics of having both those wheels on it! I'll take some pics once I have them on and post them. :p

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Welllllll, so tonight I took out the V20 on a quick run on the new wheels. Both times, cars all over the road. I still managed to tie my PR, still 1 second from the KOM. If I can just get one run without interruption, I easily take it.

Pics of my ride coming together! Ratz came through big time!

20230803_190358.jpg