Learning to Ride a Vendetta question?

Hi All,
I currently ride an Optima Baron ( 7 years) and am really considering buying a Vendetta frame kit.
I remember when I bought my Baron (my first recumbent after many years of racing DF bikes) there was a bit of a learning curve but after a weekend I was pretty confident and , knock on wood, have never crashed my low racer.
I have never ridden a MBB type bike but with my recumbent experience how much of a learning curve should I expect and is there much of an issue going back and forth between the two bikes ?
Thanks
BTW, if anyone has a Vendetta they are looking to sell, I might be interested.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Learning curve is open ended with some picking it up in a day and other like myself struggling for a couple weeks(no prior bent experience).

You may want to add where about you are located to see if someone around you has one available to test or buy.

Learning curve is open ended with some picking it up in a day and other like myself struggling for a couple weeks(no prior bent experience).

You may want to add where about you are located to see if someone around you has one available to test or buy.
Thanks , Good Point :)
I'm in eastern North Carolina

hurri47

Expect a huge issue with going back and forth at first. Some suggest not even trying until you get comfortable on the Cruz (and have stopped pulling on the bars All The Time), and even then the first ride back on your RWD will likely be appalling. Once that horror show has abated, you shouldn't have any trouble going back and forth ever again.

That's how it worked for me anyway.

-Dan

I will echo Rojo, contact Jim to learn how to ride and test ride. You can find his contact info at https://cruzbike.com/pages/dealers.

I have taken two trips to their garage. Each time, Jim has taken great care to get me fitted to each bike. He took me through a few balance drills; yes it feels different from my other 2-wheel bent experiences. Then a few laps around by the house. Finally, there is a nice, flat stretch of riding by their house.

If you can arrange the time, it is well worth the drive.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
of all the cb's it is the hardest to ride. and at least for me every time i ride the v, i get better at it. but i ride a lot of different stuff, and that is a real problem for me.
i have issues switching between the vendetta and everything else. but i also have that issue going from high racers to anything. i do not have any such issue with low racers.
i do not have that issue with the t50.

part of my problem is seat angle. trifocals and some GI issues keep me from being okay at 20 degrees. i keep changing my wedge to see where i can find a sweet spot between angle and speed.

when you are learning the vendetta a little wedge does help a lot.

before you buy a v20 go ride a q45 and a s40.

Thank you very much for your insights.
Before I buy, I will schedule a test ride in Lumberton. For the time being, I think I’ll stick with my Baron unless I run across a deal that I can’t refuse. Thanks again.

billyk

Guru
Thank you very much for your insights.
Before I buy, I will schedule a test ride in Lumberton. For the time being, I think I’ll stick with my Baron unless I run across a deal that I can’t refuse. Thanks again.

No! Take the opportunity to try one of these bikes! Don't sit around wondering. If getting to Lumberton isn't too much of a drive (or ride) you might as well have some actual experience to chew on rather than listening to us chatter away.

But I will echo @3bs above: start out with a Q45 or S40 and get the feel of these guys. Yes, there's a significant learning curve.

Remember that even if you end up buying a used one, that still helps cruzbike by keeping the resale value high, encouraging sales.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
The V20 was my first ever recumbent, after 30 years of riding upright. The learning curve was steep, but I got over it with time and practice and can now ride it as naturally as I did my uprights. Since buying the V20, I also own a S30 for social rides, and a S40 for commuting/city riding. All three are great, but I ride the V the most, by far. It's the fastest, most comfortable, and most entertaining of the three--at least for me. I took a chance on the V and have had no regrets.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Hi Andrew,
Lumberton, North Carolina is still our home, but we are beginning to move up to new Cruzbike HQ in Newburyport, MA in May. Email me at jim@cruzbike.com and I'd be happy to schedule a time to introduce you to the V20. I'd probably start you out on the T50 or Q45, which are the easiest for beginners to get the hang of.

Jim

Thanks Jim
I'm still on the fence about what to do. My shop space is limited and with a Harley, the Baron and 3 other bikes I'm running out of room :)

3bs

whereabouts unknown
you should go ride with jim while he is still in n.carolina. no better explainer of the process than he. there are other tribe members around you too, and most every cruzbike owner will open their doors to you. i am meeting two people this weekend to let them look and ride, and i have had one other guy come and he bought a used Q after riding the t50.

you should not worry about the close quarters on the bikes. my cruzbikes get along well with all of my bikes and my harleys. they even sat next to my ancient thor without a peep.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Today I met with a prospective cb rider who had exactly ZERO experience on a bent other than her husband's trike. I brought herhmy t50. Windy and cold in a high school parking lot. The lot has a nice very slight pitch. She had watched all of the videos. I had her do what I thought were the best simplified exercises including just walking the bike flipping it left and right to feel the flop. In 15 minutes she was peddling, in 45 minutes she was shifting turning starting and stopping in an out of the wind, up and down the pitch. When she was done at maybe 90 minutes she had totally embraced cruzlogic. I am hoping she will invest in a q45 as I think it will be perfect for her. She was not looking for a race bike, but an all arounder of high quality