Moose pack question (for the V20C)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Personally I would rather see them make a hardcase with door. If the case conforms to the fame exactly then it would be an aero advantage.
Plus with my Moose pack, I always put too much in it and it rubbed with rear wheel

You could make one like this:

I made one with coroplast:

I use it for stuff I don’t plan on getting frequently, so Gorilla Tape makes for a good door closure. Right now I have my Moose Pack on my V20C, using a piece of fender like this. This winter I’ll be making my own box again. Probably will cover with some monokote or something to make it look nice.

I made a storage box using a piece of 60mm wide fender, Coroplast, silicone caulking, and duct tape.
I’ll cover with some vinyl wrap. I have some black carbon-looking stuff, but I may get some yellow to match.

Attachments

• EF062743-E044-4C15-B30D-46A9B5AC3DC6.jpeg
    EF062743-E044-4C15-B30D-46A9B5AC3DC6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 715894F2-2F59-430A-BAE8-1AFD986ED820.jpeg
    715894F2-2F59-430A-BAE8-1AFD986ED820.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
And...... I just lost a bunch of time down the 'make your own carbon fibre' route. I mean, it doesn't look hard, just fiddly....

Thanks for that video Piston9
That process should be quite simple for making a CF or even fiberglass case without needing to make a mold.

I did basically the same as the video to make my tail box for my V20. Some details here:

I covered my Moose Pack alternative with some carbon-looking vinyl wrap. My first time trying this. It looks okay, but shows the underlying imperfections. Makes me want to revise it sometime.

Attachments

• 03B91C23-0961-4A06-A000-3F0741222ECD.jpeg
    03B91C23-0961-4A06-A000-3F0741222ECD.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 56

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That looks sweet Mathew. I bought 2 rolls of glossy black Monokote yesterday and considered covering the same area on my V20 with it, but I wish we had some of that pattern in my local shops.

I recently got some thin carbon sheet (0.3mm) and did a similar covering to @Mathew Fy above, but I actually covered the top/front quarter of the wheel also... so basically the back of the cover goes from the axle up to the tailbox. I should have taken photos, but it looks pretty good (carbon weave matches my tail box). Not sure how well it will work for aero... I have not ridden it yet!. I was planning to ride it a bit before reporting on it, but noticed the post above, so mentioned it now.

Would love to see it when you get some pics of it Vos and to hear if it helps your CdA.

So my 0.3mm Carbon sheet was a fail. Not because of the carbon sheet... just because of the location I put it. I had it between the bottom of my tail box and the bottom of the triangle. It seems that the V20 has quite a bit of flex built in here for suspension. It would also be that the bars supporting my tail box flex a lot, or the extra weight of the box causes more flex in the head support bars. Either way, when you hit a bump, the rear axle gets closer to the tail box. With the carbon sheet there, on small bumps it is OK. On medium bumps, it sounds like someone is beating a drum near your head. On large bumps the carbon flexed enough to touch the wheel spokes which damaged it!! So not my best idea!! I think it was marginally more aero and I am sure I could work out a solution to cover that area that handled bumps better (either a stretchy material, or something not attached to the tailbox itself with an aditional support fram up from the axle area that can move with it).

Anyway, I ended up with the traditional approach. Note I also used some of this carbon to make a fairing for my garmin that does seem to work OK:

IMG_1941.jpeg