My T50 Emeljay Mod

rx7mark

Guru
I used an oversized tube for mine. So it slides over the existing frame tube. That meant I had to cut a squeeze groove and find a 1.5 inch stem.

The clamp is a work in progress. I had some random things that I manage to get together. You want to make your clamp as stiff as possible, and also fully grip the tube all around. So those seat clamps do a good job of gripping.

I actually used an flag mount clamp for a roll bar. Two actually, as I needed to of the same sides, it being made of two pieces.

If you have access to a machine shop, you really only need a tube clamp to use with the existing pivot that clamps at the top of the head tube. You can find, or make, a shim to clamp that to the 1 1/8 steerer.

So look at the clamp on the existing higher end bikes, and use that as your basis to cut your own, if you can. Using the existing pivot has the advantages of a big. fat through bushing and a wide mounting point. Two things that add to the rigidity greatly.
Please post pics when you have a chance. Without pics it doesn't really exist!

Mark

Rampa

Guru
I'll take some better photos when I have it off the bike again. Here is a quicky. Note that I did have to do a bunch of filing to get stuff right. This particular adjustable stem used a single bult to lock both clamps. If I do it again, I will use a steerer clamp with it's clamp separate from the pivot. Because of this, I went with a clamp that is 2 parts with some bolts on top. This gives me a bit more flexibility in clamping. The bolt is big because it is only one, and I wanted plenty of grip!
81902732_2551346581799620_2137743723029594112_o.jpg

Gromit

Guru
I've found an alternative, 31.8mm seat post clamp with rack mount to the M Part(?) ones which Mark used.
https://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/detail/SystemEX/Seatpost_Clamps/2405/
The seat clamp is from SystemEX.

I contacted SystemEX for information on the 31.8mm seat post clamp with rack mount (Stock code XCLFR318).
The distance between the two faces on the seat clamp where a luggage rack would be mounted is 37mm (1.457")
The thread size of the bolts needed to attach a rack is M4.

I am not sure how this compares with the M Part 31.8mm seat post clamp with rack mounts (pictured below) which Mark used on his conversion?
upload_2020-5-18_22-7-18.png
The distance between the two faces on the seat clamp where a luggage rack would be mounted on the M Part item would vary depending on the exact size of the tubing onto which it is being clamped.
I think that Mark wrote that he used M5 bolts with the M Part seat clamps?
Edit: Added picture of M Part 31.8mm seat post clamp with rack mounts.

Last edited:

Gromit

Guru
I have just ordered a T50 frameset. Black frame + black assembly.

Initially I plan to build the bike up with the unmodified frameset parts.

I will use a drop handlebar.
To get the drop handlebars into a suitable position, I'll use a reversed stem. I have plenty of different length options in my cycle spares box.

At a later date, I intend to do an Emeljay mod on the T50's front end and fit a Thor Seats Easy seat to create a poor man's Silvio.
I will use the 31.8mm seat post clamps with rack mount (internal lip filed away) for the Emeljay mod, like rx7mark did. Please see his pictures in his first post in this thread.

I am thinking of chopping a section of the steerer off with a hacksaw. As far as I can tell, the steerer is 1 ⅛" though I can confirm this as I build up my frameset. Cutting down the steerer should allow the top one of the two modified seat clamps to be fitted the other way around supporting the slider tube closer up towards the handlebars and maybe making the whole assembly a bit stiffer?

I also think that I should be able to remove the Problem Solvers type expanding headset spacer and replace it with a 5mm high, aluminium, 1 ⅛" headset spacer. The stock steering bracket will then sit on top of the spacer. A split sleeve, cut off the bottom of the stock steerer extension tube, will go inside the steering bracket. The height of the split sleeve will be the same as the steering bracket. Another 5mm high, aluminium, 1 ⅛" steerer spacer will go on top of the steering bracket. A star fangled nut will go inside the steerer and a top cap with a bolt, on top of the spacer will then apply the headset tension. The star fangled nut, top cap and allen bolt from the stock steerer extension tube can be reused to do the deed, I think?
Note that the aluminium headset spacers will need to be fat enough to make proper contact with the steering bracket for it all to work.

Thoughts? Clearance to get an allen key into the steerer top cap allen screw/bolt to adjust the headset tension might be a bit tight? A 10mm aluminium headset spacer rather than a 5mm one above the steering bracket might be a better option if it'll fit?

I will post my own pictures when I have completed my own Emeljay mod but that won't be for a while yet.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
Sounds like a pretty good plan.

Do you know how you are going to mount your handle bar? Will you bore a short stem out, to 31.8mm to mount on the tube, like I did, or?

Mark

P.S. Still love this setup and ride as much as I can, very comfortable and fairly fast.

Gromit

Guru
Sounds like a pretty good plan.

Do you know how you are going to mount your handle bar? Will you bore a short stem out, to 31.8mm to mount on the tube, like I did, or?

Mark

P.S. Still love this setup and ride as much as I can, very comfortable and fairly fast.
All a bit too early to say on the stem. Sadly the short stem which you bought isn't available over here in Europe (Great Britain), as far as I can tell.
I've been looking at pictures of other stems but so far I haven't found one with as much material on it, to machine out to 31.8mm.
I also need to find a local source for the T6061 aluminium 1 ¼" tubing to make the slider tube. I did wonder whether a short piece of the 1 ⅛" steerer extension tube could be glued with epoxy into the end of the 1 ¼" tubing with a couple of safety rivets as back up? Any stem would then fit onto the short 1 ⅛" stub.

rx7mark

Guru
All a bit too early to say on the stem. Sadly the short stem which you bought isn't available over here in Europe (Great Britain), as far as I can tell.
I've been looking at pictures of other stems but so far I haven't found one with as much material on it, to machine out to 31.8mm.
I also need to find a local source for the T6061 aluminium 1 ¼" tubing to make the slider tube. I did wonder whether a short piece of the 1 ⅛" steerer extension tube could be glued with epoxy into the end of the 1 ¼" tubing with a couple of safety rivets as back up? Any stem would then fit onto the short 1 ⅛" stub.

If you run out of local options, I could get another stem like mine, have my buddy bore it to 31.8mm, and then ship to you.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
If you run out of local options, I could get another stem like mine, have my buddy bore it to 31.8mm, and then ship to you.

Mark
That is a very generous offer. Thank you very much.
I will see what I can come up with locally once I have the frameset and the 1 ¼" T6061 tubing for the slider tube.
Often having the parts actually in my hands can drive the inspiration on how to proceed.
If nothing springs to mind then I may send you a private message.

Last edited:

Gromit

Guru
After a lot of searching for something suitable, I've ordered a 31.8mm stem.
This appears to substantial enough to machine out, on the steerer side, from 1 ⅛" (28.6mm) to 1 ¼" (31.8mm) diameter to fit onto the slider tube.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086QRYWCG
upload_2020-5-16_2-2-2.png
Free delivery from China. 7 to 9 weeks though.
Edit: Amazon has notified me already that the stem has shipped and I have a courier name and tracking number. I'm hoping that it'll arrive a bit sooner.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru

Rampa

Guru
Giant makes 31.8 steerer stems. They come with a shim to drop down to 1 1/8 as well. Probably the route I will go if I decide my current mod is not what I want.

Look for Giant Contact OD2 stem.

Gromit

Guru
Giant makes 31.8 steerer stems. They come with a shim to drop down to 1 1/8 as well. Probably the route I will go if I decide my current mod is not what I want.

Look for Giant Contact OD2 stem.
A great find Rampa.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-contact-od2-stem
Those look very good and avoid the need for machining (or filing). I have a Giant bikes dealership in my town so they should be able to get me one if needs be.
The shortest one appears to be a 60mm though whereas the one that I purchased via Amazon Marketplace should bring the handlebars close to the slider tube like on Mark's (rx7Mark) T50. Having said that I might find that to get the handlebars into the ideal position for me, one of the Giant Contact OD2 stems would be a great option as they size from 60mm to 120mm in 10mm steps.

Last edited:

Gromit

Guru
I've bought a 50mm length Giant OD2 (1 ¼") stem on eBay ready for when I do an Emeljay conversion on my T50. :)
Giant_50mm_OD2_ Stem.jpeg
The 1 ⅛" to 1 ¼" spacer is pictured to the right of the stem. The stem's top cap is resting on top of the spacer.
The spacer may come in handy during the Emeljay conversion too.
Giant_50mm_OD2_ Stem_Side.jpeg

I waited weeks for another stem pictured in my post above to arrive from the Amazon Marketplace seller.
I unpacked the stem which they had sent, only to find that they had sent me a completely different make and model of stem with insufficient material in it to machine out from 1 ⅛" to 1 ¼"! :(
The seller offered me a partial refund which I have accepted. I'll list the stem on eBay one day.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
Gromit quote
"I unpacked the stem which they had sent, only to find that they had sent me a completely different make and model of stem with insufficient material in it to machine out from 1 ⅛" to 1 ¼"! :(
The seller offered me a partial refund which I have accepted."

Bummer Gromit!

Last edited: