New To Cruzbike and your T50?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@ Opik,
Thank you for the detailed response.

I too have lowered the tire pressure and added a section of puzzle mat but only behind the back to move me forward on the seat bottom because the seat bottom is too big for my small boney butt so the front edge hits the bottom of my leg. I'll try a little more and see how that compares for me.

Do you have any pictures that you can share?

Thanks again.

Opik

I can't post pics as I haven't reached 15 yet.

You can try to have a blank in the middle (between front and back). Look at chair designs, usually the middle where the back and front joined, there is a curve and not straight. So you can move the back mat up a little bit and the front mat a little bit so there is a "hole" in the middle.

This makes me more comfortable. This is because my butt has much more room and the pressure is distributed not only on the butt, but also on my back and legs.

Play with how big the hole should be and if you want a straight" hole" or a slope/curve. Chair designs should give you an idea

Opik

As I posted before, I also ride a customized Mongoose Omega, A DF touring bike, which was my previous go to bike. Switching between these two helped me to learn something new. The balancing of right and left, the positioning of my body and ergonomics. There are many things you don't think when you ride one thing becomes a surprise when you ride other bikes.

Opik

JUst yesterday had a puncture after going through some glass. the front was ok as it was Schwalbe marathon plus, but the rerar which is WTB had a small glass piece stuck in. did the patching job. Its remarkable how only one stuck after going through that

Opik

This is what it looks like,
55560389_2187947491270449_4300899195591589888_n.jpg

Added a flag for more visibility, the back yellow stick was for an older flag but I'm too lazy to remove it

55549787_2187947611270437_8048462468650893312_n.jpg

Inserted 5 layers of cut rubber mats for the back and three for the front. Too lazy to do gluing and putting velcro, so I just tied them with a shoe string and a hig vis cloth that I cut from a high vis vest found on the street. Notice the gap? It is intended. I find having a gap somehow makes my back supported better and my butt doesn't get sore. The 5 layer at the back makes it comfortable going on the bumps

One thing that isn't in the pic is how the bolts on the carbon seats uses washers. Had a case where the bolts made the hole bigger and made a bit of crack, so it slipped easily from the seat, to fix this i used washers on both sides. Also less creaking sound

55552001_2187947671270431_3688426233432899584_n.jpg

The cruzbike seat was furthr back, so even the shortest boom still feels too long for my legs, and I can't get the seat to go forward as there was no room and I'm afraid of cutting the seat ( what will happen then? will it be too short to sit? will it be too reclined?). So this is why the rubber mat is three layer and longer. so I can just slid more forward for more reach.

The bike doesn't fit me, and i tried things so I can fit it better, but nevertheless it was a good purchase. I feel much more relaxed on my rides, its good for long rides.

Opik

Attended the Sydney Classic Bicycle Show and had a go at the track, A recumbent Parade

image1.jpeg

Opik

Finally got it fixed....

Was always troubled by the creaking since I got and assembled the T50. last week just saw and realized that the headset was moving after 3 months of riding. Lucky no big damage has happened although I rode it quite hard. Got to a workshop and fixed the headset. Turns out I really did it wrong and the parts that I got wasn't good for the bike.

Having it fixed really makes a difference, no more creaking and I just feel my pedal stroke is transferred fully to move, no more creaking and little loss.

RMS

Hi. I am new to the forum (I think). I used to ride about 36 miles per day (sometimes twice) when I was much younger.

I stand 5'4.5" but only have a 27" inseam. This has always made for difficulty finding frames that fit me etc. Even recumbents have to be tweaked to fit.

Years ago, I purchased the entry level Cruzbike (over ten years ago - can't remember what it was called). It was blue with the same seat as the T50, as far as I remember. Soon, I got rid of the Cruzbike because where I ride, there is a lot of gravel and hills and washed out roads....the front wheel kept spinning on hills and would force me to stop and have to walk the bike up the hill which I never had to do on other bikes.

Next, I purchased a recycled recumbent (over ten years ago) that I still have and use. It is a lwb. I also purchased and modded a KMX trike (over ten years ago) to 27 speeds. I sold that earlier this year (2020), just way too low for safety issues.

My back got fixed up by a chiropractor (not the doctors) and I have been riding regular bikes for sometime but I always missed the recumbents. Less butt pain and wrist fatigue.

Well, while poking around looking at Atomic Zombie recumbent plans and having the urge to build something from scratch, I stumbled upon the Cruzbike warehouse sale a few weeks ago. Calculating what it would cost for materials and a newer welder to build something I decided I would just purchase the frame and the component kit since it was cheaper and faster.

It arrived in less than a week. It had the usual parts missing etc. but Cruzbike (Maria) took care of the issues immediately!

The T50 is together and only has about 5 miles on it due to inclement weather. Also, I won't take it out on a regular ride until I make sure all is well with it. I felt that the seat was too straight so I leaned it back further back buy drilling a couple of holes and moving the back seat bracket closer to the top of the seat. Hopefully this will be enough, but, if it isn't I can shorten the seat stays.

I saw some other modifications that make the front BB length adjustment and the handlebars on one and the same tube. I want to do this down the road. I am glad it has already been done! Nice.

Hopefully I can get everything worked out on it and it will be a fun bike for me. Oh, I have some Michelin Country Rock tires on order for it so I can ride where I ride.

As I get older I have a feeling this is the route most people will go as they age but those are just my thoughts. Well I just wanted to say hello and make myself known to the T50 community.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:

Xrad-T50

Hmmm, To quiet here. I'll add than. I received my shinny new black T50 in December '22. It went together just fine and all the youtube help was great. First I am loving it. I was excited to have the front wheel drive system on this as it is my second recumbent in my cycling history. It did take getting familiar to the weight in the steering. But not an issue now after a month of commuting on it in the south bay ( where is that ? SF). Just having a great time with it and made a few changes. The best one was going to a 9 speed MTB level shift with a gear dial. Helps a lot knowing the right gear is ready at a stop/start.
cruzbike.jpg

Xrad-T50

cruzbike T50 1 year old.jpg
It has been a year of riding my T50. I have well over a thousand miles commuting to work (15 miles each day). It's a flat route so I'm still fresh as I arrive to work. The T50 is an excellent commuter in city streets. I have added a few items to help with my comfort with the handlebar and seat tilt. Carrying items is fantastic in many was. A rack or any number of attachment can be fitted as need. Lunch outings or trips to the grocery store are all the ways I use my T50. Weekend adventures across town or on a scenic trails are a breeze as well. Lots of trouble free miles. The exercise is fantastic and pain free. Thank you Cruzbike for a simple and reliable recumbent!