Newby Bike Builder Question

Sorry for such a basic question but I’m looking to build a V20 from a bare frame and I’ve seen some wheels that would be ideal for me…

My question is, based on the text below from the seller’s ad, would I need to have the wheels relaced to swap the hubs over due to the CB configuration and if so, would it be more cost effective to get wheels built from scratch?

”Front wheel has DT Swiss 240s hub with 28 spokes. Rear has DT Swiss 350 hub with 32 spokes”

Henri

scatter brain
Are you talking about driven wheel being in the front? You just take what is sold as rear wheel and put it in the front and take what is sold as front wheel and put it in the rear. You will need to look for compatibility in the axles and stuff, but you can pretty much ignore what is supposed to be front and rear.
There are wheelsets though, where the rim shape is created with the aerodynamic environments in mind that differ front and back. With those you obviously won't get the small benefits of that specific optimisation.
But also when front and rear have different spoke counts, as in your example, there is not much relacing you can do, as the rims have the same spoke count as the hubs so you couldn't swap the pairings, if that's what you mean.

Beano

No relacing needed, the extra spokes are due to the extra stress that the rear (drive) wheel goes through except this will be on the front of the bike.

As above, the only thing I'd be concerned with is to make sure that the wheels are compatible. With the exception of the V20c I believe all V20 are QR so make sure that these wheels are QR, or can have the necessary adapters fitted to them to make them QR.

Are you talking about driven wheel being in the front? You just take what is sold as rear wheel and put it in the front and take what is sold as front wheel and put it in the rear. You will need to look for compatibility in the axles and stuff, but you can pretty much ignore what is supposed to be front and rear.
There are wheelsets though, where the rim shape is created with the aerodynamic environments in mind that differ front and back. With those you obviously won't get the small benefits of that specific optimisation.
But also when front and rear have different spoke counts, as in your example, there is not much relacing you can do, as the rims have the same spoke count as the hubs so you couldn't swap the pairings, if that's what you mean.
I told you it was a stupid question.. Of course the spokes are directly related to the hubs … I was thinking that the extra spokes on a traditional “rear” wheel are for the weight but clearly they are also there to transmit the pedalling force..

The wheels have an excellent load rating and stiffness so I think they’ll be perfect.. I’ll ask the seller if they are suitable for QR skewers and not set up for thru axles but I guess I’m good.. They are for rim brakes but that’s another choice.. do I go for discs instead.. I’m tempted to bite the bullet and let the LBS do it who built the S40 I bought.. they’d done a superb job on that with Hope rims and hubs etc so I guess I can get a quote and see what it looks like.. the only downside there is paying full retail for components as opposed to getting bargains but I can always say no.. and it keeps a small business going

Last edited:
No relacing needed, the extra spokes are due to the extra stress that the rear (drive) wheel goes through except this will be on the front of the bike.

As above, the only thing I'd be concerned with is to make sure that the wheels are compatible. With the exception of the V20c I believe all V20 are QR so make sure that these wheels are QR, or can have the necessary adapters fitted to them to make them QR.
Got it.. Thanks for the reply

cruzKurt

I am not an expert, but know the skewer on my v20 is longer than a stock skewer. Also as far as Disc Brakes go, I think it depends on where you live and what kind of riding you do. Again no expert here, but I think disc brakes might be suited for hills and such. But, with that said, the wheels on my v20 are rim brake but have disc hubs and could be converted to disc if I wanted. The rear wheel needs to be compatible with what type of cassette you plan on running also. Like an XDR driver for a SRAM 12 speed or an XD driver for a SRAM 10 or 11 speed. I am not 100 % sure, but the hub may dictate what types of drivers will fit. There are also newer wheel hubs that have a wider width than my v20 which is 130 mm drive wheel and I think 100 mm non drive wheel.

Another question please for the V20 owners... I have Dura Ace rim brake calipers and when I put the front brake on to see what it was going to look like I realised that I would need a thick spacer to make it work. The shakeproof washer is with the caliper but on the frame there's a recess that brings the caliper too close to the fork bridge to make it work.

Looking at one of the V20 build diaries I see there is an insert of some kind that I don't have... Is this a Cruzbike part or would a regular LBS have it as mine is clearly missing?

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 19.09.07.png

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Looking at one of the V20 build diaries I see there is an insert of some kind that I don't have... Is this a Cruzbike part or would a regular LBS have it as mine is clearly missing?
What is needed is just a standard "brake washer" with the serrated edges. You can get whatever width you need for the brakes to clear the fork,

What is needed is just a standard "brake washer" with the serrated edges. You can get whatever width you need for the brakes to clear the fork,
Thanks Larry, the fork in the picture looks like it has an insert of some kind hence the question so I’ll grab some washers from my LBS

You looked at this one?
Yes, that’s where I saw the front fork with a spacer / insert

cruzKurt

Hijacking this as I am also a newbie building a v20 frame up. I need some front and rear brakes, not looking to break the bank, this is a spare bike for me and will spend most of it's time on the Kickr. Any recomendations for a front and rear rim brake set I can buy and install with out having to modify?

rdl03

Hijacking this as I am also a newbie building a v20 frame up. I need some front and rear brakes, not looking to break the bank, this is a spare bike for me and will spend most of it's time on the Kickr. Any recomendations for a front and rear rim brake set I can buy and install with out having to modify?
If the bike will mostly live on the Kickr, why brakes at all? (I have a Kickr as well - with a permanently mounted bike, that has never seen a brake.).
I personally would never go back to rim brakes, but your frame may not have the option. (I'm also biased because I had to be the bearer of bad news with my son's Pinarello, whose rims were too worn, and the wheels had to be tossed.).
Looking at Amazon, you can get Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex rim brakes for less than $100 for the pair. I'd have no hesitation with either.

cruzKurt

If the bike will mostly live on the Kickr, ....
I have some other mods I want to test out like oval chain rings and extended chain stay, want to have a stock v20 and another with mods for testing. I know.... but it is something to do and keeps me energized. In addition to the cold plunge I am building. :)

TransAm

The V20 rear brake has clearance issues, so you need a caliper with a short arm. The most cost-effective option I found was the FSA Gossamer:

FSA Gossamer Pro Brakeset Black

I also used a flexible brake cable "noodle" e.g. from Jagwire.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
This year, I switched to Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9100 brake calipers on my V20 and love them. I had ancient Dura-Ace brakes for many years until they needed replacement. I tried SRAM and was disappointed. Then I went back to Dura-Ace, but the newest version. When I adjust them, they stay adjusted. And they can grab the wheel. Love them! $266 for the front and rear pair new in Feb 2022.