Our Three T50 Builds, and Maybe a Sofrider Retro-fit

NeaL

Guru
We're looking at ape hangers.

https://store.bigbellycrew.com/images/1344709370662-732185388.jpeg

When sitting up in the seat, I didn't get enough belly clearance until moving the slider forward to where the clamp would be between the two threaded holes for the bottle cage.

But I can't have a bar across there unless it's very narrow because otherwise my fat knees would hit it. I need the U of the bar narrow enough for my knees to go to the outside.

My Sofrider came with bars like those on castlerobber's Bacchetta. My thighs were too fat to fit between the handle bars and the head tube in the center.

NeaL

Guru
I had forgotten about the riser option.

Because we had moved the slider ahead so that the ring was between the threaded mounts for the bottle cage, the boom is now too long. It must be hitting against the inside there at the forward thread point. We were talking about cutting a few inches off of the boom.

I’d rather not cut anything at all, if possible. A riser might allow for moving the slider back so the boom may stay intact.

NeaL

Guru
We were on the verge of ordering a new riser when I discovered that I had two of them; one black and one silver.
I went into the garage to look at the one on my Sofrider for comparison. Then I suddenly noticed that my kids’ T50s have risers of different lengths. The two from the Kickstarter T50 era were shorter than the riser on the blue production T50. Somehow I had never noticed that. I looked in the box full of leftover parts from building their T50s and redoing my Sofrider. I found the risers in there. It looks like the two Kickstarter frame sets had come with a choice of two different riser lengths.

NeaL

Guru
Added a really tall riser to get more belly clearance. The risers which came with the T50s don't fit. This riser is a little too high, places the bar around the upper chest to neck area. Laying back, can now move the slider back to where I can reach it while reclined but also sorta blocks my field of view. I've ordered a shorter riser, as well as a curved slider and the back wedge from the Cruzbike website.
I might stick with the stock bars but I kinda want to try an ape hanger bar, too.

Attachments

• 57485219_10219746546241275_6010625113764921344_n.jpg
    57485219_10219746546241275_6010625113764921344_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 32

NeaL

Guru
I finally picked up the bike today.
There was a miscommunication. All of the boxes which the components came in, the SRAM drivetrain, cranks, brake pads... after being held for me for a month or so, someone threw them all out. So, all the technical data on the packagings are gone.

In order to get my current body shape to work with the bike frame, I have added the back rest wedge under the seat cushion, a medium-ish size stem extension above the head tube to raise the handlebars, and replaced the stock slider with the aftermarket curved slider.

At first, having the curved slider going downward was fine, but after setting the boom length for my feet to the pedals, my fat thighs would then collide with the handle bars. So we flipped the slider around and pointed it up to raise the handle bars. Now my legs have enough clearance.
Fortunately, all adjustments were simple bolt-on, or Velcroed-on, without having to saw anything off or drill holes anyplace, so as I slim down and adjust things accordingly, everything should be returning to more normal positions.

Oh, and I also added 30mm pedal extenders so that my 14EEE shoes don't keep smacking the heels against the cranks.

I took a picture of it after the first successful test ride, outside the local bike shop.
60147869_10219931059813999_5167259747769909248_o.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Nice bike! I like how you see challenges that many would balk at and you step up to the challenge and take it in stride.

How much clearance does the rack have over the rear wheel?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My spirit animal is half Honey Badger, half Sloth.

Using metric Allen wrenches as feeler gauges, the 1.5mm is a very tight fit.
It will remove any three corner jacks!!! but if riding on a muddy road, you might need to increase it if you have a rack bag on it!

NeaL

Guru
I had to Google that. It looks like three corner jacks are a bit of a problem down there in Australia.
Due to my fat belly and thighs still obstructing each other, I have difficulty getting my foot up and over the seat, especially the way that Ventisit pad is extra-grippy when the sole of my shoe touches it. So I’ve been thinking about getting a 2nd set of rims with a smaller diameter to lower the frame closer to the ground. That will put some space between the rack and the smaller tire, too.
I spent yesterday evening mounting the Cruzbike bottle cages & spacers behind the seat, two T-Cycle flag mounts, the Origin-8 light mount, and putting on spoke reflectors. I ran out of the reflectors, gotta order more.
Today: test fitting of panniers on both racks, plus finding some nice, steep hills for practicing pushing the S40 up them, I mean, riding up.

Yep, climb mountains like a goat, a goat that pushes bikes along because he still feels like walking, sometimes.

Attachments

• EE2CFAAB-54CD-41F1-9C01-C35ABBA982B4.jpeg
    EE2CFAAB-54CD-41F1-9C01-C35ABBA982B4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36

NeaL

Guru
Have you tried leaning the bike over to 30 degrees above horizontal, then stepping over the seat?

The challenges regarding the seat height are all about the same as I have with my Sofrider. My butt is so fat, it's like sitting on top of a thick cushion. My feet don't firmly, comfortably touch the ground. Only, disc brakes aren't an option on the Sofrider frame. You can't put smaller diameter wheels on a frame if the caliper brakes won't touch the rim; not without extensive welding modifications.

Laying the bike down on the ground to get off and on is fine, if I have to. It just sucks and it looks clumsy.

I know there are bikes out there which are suitable for fat people but once you lose the weight, it will remain a fat people bike. I'm sold on the FWD/MBB design of Cruzbikes. Sure, I could probably build something of my own design, if I wanted to spend my time doing that.

The cool thing about this is, I can swap out wheels, sliders, seat cushions, stem extensions, handlebars as necessary. And once I have, if I ever, lose the weight I will have a stock S40 to ride.

Like I told Maria while waiting for the S40 frame to arrive, I'm already looking forward to my first V20. I say "1st" because, once you get your 1st V20 the next step up from there would be a 2nd V20.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If your 26" tyre is 1.6" (42 mm) wide, then going to a 24"*2.0" (50*557) will lower the seat 14 mm, OR going to a BMX 20"*2.0" (50*451) will lower the seat 44 mm!
The softrider front fork has disc mounting points, and the rear just needs a bracket like in the photo.P1060351.jpg

P1060354.jpg

Tired Pedaler

Hi SupaSlim- Is the disc mount brake adapter in your photo above, for the rear of the Sofrider, a commercially available item, as is, or did it take machining to fabricate? If commercial, do you have a brand name and web-link to purchase? I have wanted to go all disc brakes on my Sofrider-v3 for quite a while, but haven't been able to find a local shop to cut an adapter from Doug Burton's template.

Cruzbike forum threads-disc-adaptor-for-sofrider-dropout--11788/#post-135915

Thanks.

Tired-

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hi SupaSlim- Is the disc mount brake adapter in your photo above, for the rear of the Sofrider, a commercially available item, as is, or did it take machining to fabricate? If commercial, do you have a brand name and web-link to purchase? I have wanted to go all disc brakes on my Sofrider-v3 for quite a while, but haven't been able to find a local shop to cut an adapter from Doug Burton's template.

Cruzbike forum threads-disc-adaptor-for-sofrider-dropout--11788/#post-135915

Thanks.

Tired-
The photos above are of the rear with a 100 mm hub in a 135 spacing fork so a greater offset!

I made the bracket out of three 3.0 mm thick Al flat bars, 1 off 25*3, and 2 off 12.5*3, using a hacksaw, files and sand paper, and a hand held drill.
Please see attached pdf.

I used a 185 mm REAR IS bracket, that was 10 mm thick and BB7 mtn disk caliper, with spherical washers to allow for a non vertical bracket, and I elongated the two slots in the Disk caliper so I had room to adjust the BB7 with the inside adjuster 4 clicks from being fully retracted.

http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/2004 disc fit info.pdf
This was for a Softrider V1.0 with the rear swing arm for a 135 mm hub, and I used a single speed 135 mm hub, with the 6 bolt face 15.27 mm from the hub end,. See the attached link.

If the Softrider V3.0 has a 100 mm rear hub spacing, the bracket should be the 5.1 mm thinner, with the 6 bolt face 10.16 mm from the hub end .
On my Quest V1.0 with a 100 mm wide rear hub, the bracket inside, is 2.0 mm away with the fork inside!

http://www.dirtfreak.co.jp/cycle/sram/service/avid/avid_technical_specifications_my13_updates.pdf
According to SRAM, on page 5, the front bracket inside should be 4 mm away from the front fork inside!

The photos below are of a 135mm hub in a 135 mm rear fork.

Attachments

• Softrider Rear Disk bracket.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190603_160715.jpg
    20190603_160715.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190603_160726.jpg
    20190603_160726.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Softrider Rear Disk bracket.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 11

Tired Pedaler

Super Slim- Thank-you for sharing all the technical details and more photos of your disc brake builds. It is good to know it can be done on one's own, with some elbow grease and mathematical application.