Our Three T50 Builds, and Maybe a Sofrider Retro-fit

NeaL

Guru
Maybe some of our fitness & training experts can answer this one.

After my first stab at the new 12 mile Time Trail which Larry is running, I realized that I really needed to work on my control and stability of steering.
I went to a local high school's running track and did maybe 24 laps, all trying to stay within a lane, or stay right on one of the lines between the lanes.

In short, this is about as flat & even a paved surface texture one can imagine finding out there.

I thought that I would simply get more and more tired as I went along. Sometimes near the beginning I went up to the highest gear to instigate a little early fatigue, see if maybe I could get up to a top speed. Then started shifting down.
There were a few times I shifted down too far and was going too slow while pedaling too fast.

I had thought that I'd just want to keep downshifting as I got more and more tired but instead I found my desire for the amount of resistance to fluctuate all over the place, like I was getting a "2nd wind." Then a 3rd, then a 4th...
I'm wondering what's going on to cause that. Like stages of sleep, I seemed to be going through stages of energy and exhaustion.

NeaL

Guru
Another realization today.

Back when I was riding my Sofrider, there is a nearby park where I'd take the kids with our Cruzbikes and unicycles. The park has a 1 mile bike/jog/run/walk path which goes in a loop. At "the far end" is a bridge across a little stream and from each side of the stream, the approach to the bridge goes steeply uphill before a sharp, near 90 degree turn across the bridge, which has high railing on both sides of it, narrow enough for a couple people to pass eachother walking across.

I always struggled with approaching this bridge. I could climb the incline but I almost always lost control trying to pedal hard while making that turn, and then trying to avoid colliding with the railing on either side.

I've been participating in the weekly 12 mile Time Trial for the past 5 weeks, plus sometimes doing some riding mid-week. Granted, I know that putting the time and miles into riding has played a part, but I think there has been something else.

During the week I've been taking my S40 everywhere on the hitch rack on the back of my truck. I'm not quite ready to tackle the hills of my work commute on the S40 like I have on the trike. My stamina and endurance aren't there yet.

Not wanting to leave my bike unattended all day while I am at work, I've been removing it from the hitch and bringing it indoors. We have special access security cards at the doors and there are closed-circuit security cameras. I'd bring the bike all the way in to my cubicle if I could but the hallways are a bit too narrow. I leave it out in something of a foyer.
The need to lift and carry the bike, on and off of the rack, carrying it up and down the stairs each day, it has had my mind daily thinking about its weight & balance, how the front end behaves differently from a regular bicycle.

I think that familiarity of the bike's characteristics from walking with it and lifting it around, leaning it against things, all came into play today as I was slowly riding the bike around the park. It felt like more of an extension of myself today than I had noticed before.

Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
Now that the Time Trial is over, I’m renewing the effort to commute to work on my S40.

Why couldn’t I commute with it before?
Because honestly, the bike and I aren’t a perfect match yet.

When I first took delivery of the bike after getting its components through a local bike shop, I needed the seat wedge, an extension on top of the head tube, and a curved slider turned upward, all just to make it rideable.

When coming to a stop, getting turned around, and starting again, I want to be able to sit up straight on the seat. From this position I need the handlebars forward enough that they don’t block me from sitting up. But then laying back without the seat wedge, I could no longer reach the handlebars.

A few rounds into the Time Trial, I decided to go without the seat wedge. This necessitated moving the slider back so I could reach the handlebars.
This made sitting up at a stop uncomfortable, but doable. While laid back, the handlebars blocked my view. So I rotated the slider downward and adjusted moving it back more. This position makes it best for going fast. But there is no sitting up anymore, unless I’m holding myself up in a pull-up the whole time.
I feel like a turtle on its back with my toes barely touching the ground while laid back like this.

Have you ever seen a grownup try squeezing into a school desk seat meant for kids? I mean the old ones which have an entry to the seat on the left side, a desktop attached on the right, usually a little groove across the front of the desk for holding a pencil, and a mini shelf under the seat for holding books.
And if that grownup tries to stand straight up, the desk is lifted up from the floor, stuck around their waist and hips?
That’s what standing up from the S40 has been like for me. The handle bars and seat get stuck around my waist and hips while the rear wheel lifts up from the ground. I can’t stand straight up, it’s more like doing that Limbo game/dance leaning back to go under a pole, but I have to do it in reverse on one leg in order to dismount.

So... I didn’t like the idea of having to flip and reposition the slider and handlebars each week, back and forth, trying to commute and Time Trial on the same bike.

Should be interesting to see how the wedge feels again after getting used to not having it for so long.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I sit up on my Silvio. Really helps sometimes. It used to be really awkward, as was getting on and off. I solved this problem.

I assume you have racing-bike drop bars on yours. So the drops are way out in front of the clamp. For the drops to be within reach, you have to have the clamp poking you in the sternum. I got Deda Crononero with the ends sticking up. This meant that my hands were not forward of the clamp, so I was able to push the clamp forward and still reach the bar ends. Then I got long mountain-bike riser bars. I cut the ends off and got mountain-bike bolt-on bar ends. I prefer this, but the shape is only slightly different from the Crononero.

The problem is that the hands are forward of the clamp. Solve this and you can sit up and get on and off and still reach the bars easily.

Maybe all that helps.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I feel like a turtle on its back with my toes barely touching the ground while laid back like this.
I resemble that remark.

Have you ever seen a grownup try squeezing into a school desk seat meant for kids? I mean the old ones which have an entry to the seat on the left side, a desktop attached on the right, usually a little groove across the front of the desk for holding a pencil, and a mini shelf under the seat for holding books.
And if that grownup tries to stand straight up, the desk is lifted up from the floor, stuck around their waist and hips?
That’s what standing up from the S40 has been like for me. The handle bars and seat get stuck around my waist and hips while the rear wheel lifts up from the ground. I can’t stand straight up, it’s more like doing that Limbo game/dance leaning back to go under a pole, but I have to do it in reverse on one leg in order to dismount.
I love the description! Locked and loaded. @NeaL you are a bullet.

NeaL

Guru
I hope this isn’t too off-topic. My discovery of Cruzbike coincided with learning of Ed Pratt. He later took my Sofrider for a spin but I failed to catch video of it.

When I got the Sofrider off of Craigslist in early July of 2017, I wanted to use it for commuting to work. I knew that I would need “bicycle bags” for carrying stuff. I later learned these bags are called panniers. They didn’t sell any at the local bike shops so I had to research online to see where to get them and what kinds there were. It was from this to following cyclists on YouTube that I stumbled across videos of some guy named Ed from England who was riding a unicycle all around the world. He was just leaving China, going through a few SouthEast Asia nations before Australia and New Zealand when I learned of him.

Later in that same month of July, my kids have birthdays, all spanning from the 18th through the 12th of August, so, inspired by Ed, I got them unicycles. In October of that year I attended the Recumbent Cycle-Con in Philadelphia, got T50s for each of my kids for Christmas, and later a used Greenspeed Magnum trike for myself.

In the early winter months of 2018, Ed’s world tour brought him to the West Coast of the United States. On his website was a map of his planned route across the U.S. and it showed a more northerly route up near Canada. Not too long into his videos in the U.S. he announced that he wasn’t going to be posting regularly for a while because he was anxious to get home again. The time he spent Ed-itting his videos was slowing him down. He wanted to focus on seeing more, doing more, and save all the footage for when he was finished with the tour and could post it all from the comfort of home. And then he seemed to vanish from the Internet.
Meanwhile, I was taking my kids, their unicycles, and my Sofrider to a high school parking lot after church where we could all practice each week.

All three kids were enthusiastic about their unicycles at first. I was helping each of them mount until they were able to do it on their own. Once they were able to do that and start trying to ride away from supporting walls and posts, I turned my attention to riding the Sofrider.
That turned out to be a mistake because whatever ol’ dad was doing, my son wanted to do it too. First he was hijacking my Sofrider, then my trike after I got that. His sisters continued practicing their unicycles. Eventually they were able to ride all over the place with good sustain. When I tried to get my son back to his unicycle, suddenly he had lost all interest. Truthfully, he felt discouraged because his sisters had gotten so good at it while he had not. He still wants to know how to ride it but only if he’s the best at it. He doesn’t want to go through the learning process anymore, not while his sisters are able to show off and cause him to feel inferior.

Months later, Ed Pratt posted from the headquarters of unicycle.com where I had ordered my kids’ unicycles from. But... that’s down in Georgia! How the heck did he end up so far south? Well, he wasn’t expecting the weather to be so cold when he arrived in “tropical” California when he had planned his route almost 3 years prior so he changed his plans. I looked at his updated planned route and saw that it looked like he was coming through my part of Virginia on his way to New York City.

So I contacted him, said I had some unicycle-riding kids who would be excited to meet him and he was welcome to camp, shower, do laundry, whatever he needed at my place.

I had seen in some of Ed’s videos that sometimes he stops overnight, other times just waves while pushing on. He tries to get a certain distance done each day. He had a live-update GPS tracking map on his website so anyone could see where he was. As he was getting closer to Virginia I was checking it more often.

Since I had no idea what his plans were, I didn’t know if he planned to stop at my house or if we’d have to chase him down as he pushed on through our area. I had the kids’ unicycles loaded in the truck in case we had to drive ahead of him to let them out and try to pedal along with him for as long as they could keep up.
It was Father’s Day weekend of 2018 and due to the custody agreement, I got to have the kids for an extra day until 6pm Monday. I had scheduled the day off from work.

It was after church that Sunday when Ed was passing through our area. I was back home, repeatedly refreshing his website watching the tracker. I didn’t know if there was glitches in the network or what was going on but sometimes the tracker showed him making good progress. Other times he seemed stuck. I had seen earlier on his tracker in other countries that it often made no sense from looking at it, like he’d be following a road and then shoot in a straight line to some random place far away.

I was refreshing the page wondering how often things got updated, why he seemed stuck so much when... my phone rang. It was Ed. He asked if I could come give him a ride.

I had planned for many contingencies but I hadn’t expected that one.

He was only about two miles away. What I didn’t know was that he had worn a hole through his tire. He had been struggling with flats all day and was all out of patches and other options for keeping it inflated. The kids and I all loaded up in the truck to go meet him. I think I had my trike along with the kids’ three unicycles in the back of the truck and my Sofrider on the hitch rack. We still managed to fit that huge unicycle and his touring gear back there.

This might be hard to believe but no one in my town keeps 36” unicycle tires in stock, so Ed had to order one to be shipped to my place. He ended up staying for four days. I had to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and he resumed his tour sometime after I left for work that last morning, so we said our goodbyes before I headed in to work.

Strangest thing is, I never saw him ride his unicycle. He rode one of my kids’ unicycles, my trike, and my Sofrider, but never did I actually see him riding that big one of his in his videos.

Maybe he can’t actually ride it. It’s all cgi and special effects. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Rampa

Guru
I think he just needs the front of a Cruzbike! :)
RECUMBNT.JPG

NeaL

Guru
Ed’s U.S. series just released today, for those who have pre-paid to help support him. We’re in Episode 18 (yeah, I jumped ahead) and suddenly remembered that I had granted him the music from one of the albums I’ve played on to use as soundtrack, if he would like.
He had captured video of himself riding my Sofrider and included it. Awesome!

NeaL

Guru
I haven't updated this thread in a while.

The Sofrider hasn't been ridden much ever since I got the S40.

Last weekend, I went for a ride on a very busy trail. Previously I had been on a trail while riding the Sofrider, and to the 2018 Cruzbike Ride Retreat in North Carolina. The Sofrider had me sitting much more upright than while on the S40.

This was my first time riding while many other cyclists were even around. I noticed something unexpected while riding the S40 this weekend.

The, um... view.

And depending on the cyclist, what a nice view it was sometimes! Averting my eyes all the other times was not a problem.
Since I'm not married anymore, I'm not feeling inhibited on certain topics.
When people talk about the advantages and disadvantages of recumbents, I don't see much discussion about this. I wonder if the up-tight upright riders are self-conscious about recumbent riders' perspectives being so much lower. Might that be part of their issue, in not wanting to ride in the company of recumbents? They might feel neurotic if they're in the lead?

Last edited:

3bs

whereabouts unknown
LMAO!!!!!

i will just skip the stories i could insert here on that very topic.

consider that i am often not just on a recumbent, but low racers and trikes.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
LMAO also. There is a spectrum here, the ends of which are a long way apart. At one end, I would really like to be behind them in the peloton. At the other end, I just slow down and let them go.

I do not ride in my baggy shorts. Not unless the weather is really hot and I want air-conditioning.