Pelso Brevet review / comparison to vendetta.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cruzbike vendetta V2 and v20 50,000 klm plus. Sram red mechanical build enve 6.7 wheelset. I run a pneumatic old inner tube inside oem neckrest for increased comfort

Pelso brevet 3000 klm . Dura ace sram xo build. yoleo 50 mm carbon wheels. Disc brakes.

I could bang on forever with facts and figures but that info is already readily available

so subjective opinion then..........

they are different bikes purposed for me. Both are similar specs and seat lay backs.

The pelso is fitted with their new seat not the Bacchetta rail gun seen online even in the euro spec.

It is more laid back and now at around twenty degrees I use a neckrest. The Bacchetta rail gun I do not need a neckrest even at max recline below twenty degrees.

If I want the fastest I ride the vendetta.

If I want the lightest I ride either.

If I want maximum versatility I ride the brevet.

cruzbike vendetta advantages.

that efficient fwd driveline mbb and great design. A real sports car. Purposed for speed. Yet most capable of audax and even touring if so inclined.

wheel weighting 50/50 approx and v20 infinite adjustability.

customer support and forum.

Great reliable quality established product.

Number one attribute is speed.

pelso advantages.

seat angle adjustment.

possible for greater comfort largely due to larger Tyre size choices up to 42 mm. like cruzbike s40 versatile and perhaps a better comparison.

the pelso pad is notably very very comfortable. I run with a thin ventisit pad on both bikes however due to utility.

Both bikes are ergonomically great and ride quality is most comfy.

Given that tyres are the chief comfort giver on any non suspended recumbent then the pelso shades the vendetta comfort here.

But not totally because of frame material differences. Both bikes at 100 psi tyre pressures can be over rough potholed surfaces rather bone rattling . I note no major real advantage of carbon v aluminium in the frame attributes. Unlike my aluminium to carbon fibre df experience. Testimony then to the advanced material design of the vendetta.

The jbar though visually still somewhat ungainly to my eye are nevertheless superb and I won’t be putting a tiller on. Edit um I did....

nice quality finish and thoughtful design.

number one attribute is comfort.

This bike is a gto. It’s bigger than the vendetta in every way. You sit on the brevet rather than in despite the euro swoop. Gnomes need not apply.

conclusion.

like all of my recumbents my favourite is the one I rode yesterday. And no mistake they each have separate purpose. Which leaves the brevet the most versatile for my needs.

edit oct 2021. I fitted a tiller to the pelso removing the antler like j bar. Makes it marginally faster but loses some handling. Minor. Still hold to my review.

BCC93BFB-1931-408C-9F47-970435016A66.jpeg DE585F51-4E09-47CA-BB95-C8E3A80BBD4C.jpeg 05A96D50-A16F-4765-A395-E379CCCCAF27.jpeg B7CF1C4B-4EEE-4436-962B-0815962B9381.jpeg

Attachments

• 98A88F8D-705A-4709-9320-516E01C7D94F.jpeg
    98A88F8D-705A-4709-9320-516E01C7D94F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Yet most capable of audax

Indeed, I saw plenty of Cruz bikes on Paris Brest Paris and they finished. I did see one Peloso Brevet and it finished, too. (typo fixed)

If you had to climb mountains with switchback turns like the Stelvio Pass in Italy, which of the two would you choose, if either?

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I like my Silvio because of the famous "whole body" experience. I miss this when I am on the Grasshopper. I do most of my miles in town, in traffic or among pedestrians, and this is when the difference in steering is most noticeable. I keep the Grasshopper because it has the Radical Banana bags, the biggest size, so I can carry stuff. I like the springs, but now I have Tannus I know that pneumatic tyres absorb impacts that springs do not. I also like the Rohloff. Could not fit one on the Silvio.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Indeed, I saw plenty of Cruz bikes on Paris Brest Paris and they finished. I did see one Pelosi Brevet and it finished, too.

If you had to climb mountains with switchback turns like the Stelvio Pass in Italy, which of the two would you choose, if either?

pelso is new bike less than a year old. Aussie mates pete heal dome deli saw about four pelso brevets and heaps of cruzbikes on pbp.

If I had to climb steep grades routinely I use the df 7 kg bike. The cruzbike is a better climber up to front wheel slippages then brevet is easier to manage. Low speed stability is better for me on pelso but not by much.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I like my Silvio because of the famous "whole body" experience. I miss this when I am on the Grasshopper. I do most of my miles in town, in traffic or among pedestrians, and this is when the difference in steering is most noticeable. I keep the Grasshopper because it has the Radical Banana bags, the biggest size, so I can carry stuff. I like the springs, but now I have Tannus I know that pneumatic tyres absorb impacts that springs do not. I also like the Rohloff. Could not fit one on the Silvio.

sometimes I want to paint my hurricane green.

Yes upper body input value hits home after riding rear wheel fixed bb bents and coming back to mbb.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
as soon as we get Greenland under contract, i would also like to pick up the Netherlands so i have more bike trails and boating opportunities

jond

Zen MBB Master
before there was a pelso bevet, there was a morciglio apache.View attachment 8577

the schlitter carbon stick was made by same company that now makes their own bike the brevet. Szatuna is parent company. For a long chain I like the chain line and one only idler position. Zero chain interference or chain slap with type 2 sram mech. Of course heel strike on front wheel is a minor issue.
Interestingly schlitter now source their very nice euro looking aluminium frameset from performer.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
yes the stick is the straight system, and the brevet is a drippier version. on the apache, its even drippier. you sit a lot lower and on 650c. i tilted the seat up some because i just dont like it too flat. i like to taste my meals only on the way in not backwash. my m5m, also on 650c has the drippier seating, but pushes the crank out front further.

one of these days i need to play with shifters and bars on the apache and the m5. i really hate grip shifters, and i have widened them both some but i still don't have quite the confidence i should have, but i switch from bike to bike and from bike to trike so much, muscle memory is more like a memory test.

wattage and rider equal, i think the Apache is a tad faster than the v20, but i have more confidence climbing on the v20.

i guess the reality is that for me, much of the fun is riding the different bikes and building and restoring and tweaking them here and there.

and thus, the quagmire of N + 1 (Footnote: the week before last i actually declined the chance to buy a used bike at a good price that have wanted for a while. all in all after congratulating myself on my demonstration of restraint, in a moment of self awareness, i realized with all my current unfinished projects that my restraint was akin to having only 19 shots of Jack Daniels instead of 20.)

jond

Zen MBB Master
yes the stick is the straight system, and the brevet is a drippier version. on the apache, its even drippier. you sit a lot lower and on 650c. i tilted the seat up some because i just dont like it too flat. i like to taste my meals only on the way in not backwash. my m5m, also on 650c has the drippier seating, but pushes the crank out front further.

one of these days i need to play with shifters and bars on the apache and the m5. i really hate grip shifters, and i have widened them both some but i still don't have quite the confidence i should have, but i switch from bike to bike and from bike to trike so much, muscle memory is more like a memory test.

wattage and rider equal, i think the Apache is a tad faster than the v20, but i have more confidence climbing on the v20.

i guess the reality is that for me, much of the fun is riding the different bikes and building and restoring and tweaking them here and there.

and thus, the quagmire of N + 1 (Footnote: the week before last i actually declined the chance to buy a used bike at a good price that have wanted for a while. all in all after congratulating myself on my demonstration of restraint, in a moment of self awareness, i realized with all my current unfinished projects that my restraint was akin to having only 19 shots of Jack Daniels instead of 20.)

bikeaholism anonymous.

Cannot believe your restraint congratulations.

Still compared to Larry’s herd we are showing a modicum of restraint. For the record I’m at five bents and five df style Jd shots as a teetotal . ;)

Bill K

Guru
(Footnote: the week before last i actually declined the chance to buy a used bike at a good price that have wanted for a while. all in all after congratulating myself on my demonstration of restraint, in a moment of self awareness, i realized with all my current unfinished projects that my restraint was akin to having only 19 shots of Jack Daniels instead of 20.)
So, now you owe yourself a new bike. You practiced extreme self restraint which proves you earned it and deserve it. Reward yourself. You know you want to.
Thats how N+1 works:)

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Thanks @Bill K you are a fine codependent enabler. I am sure my wife is tracing you IP address as I type.

@jond it was @LarryOz who offered me the bike. He is thinning his herd.

There are plenty of people with more bikes and trikes than me. ( I will leave it at that)

which reminds me. Jd do you have a good source of greenspeed parts. I need aero parts.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks @Bill K you are a fine codependent enabler. I am sure my wife is tracing you IP address as I type.

@jond it was @LarryOz who offered me the bike. He is thinning his herd.

There are plenty of people with more bikes and trikes than me. ( I will leave it at that)

which reminds me. Jd do you have a good source of greenspeed parts. I need aero parts.

I went straight to Aussie Ian Simmo himself god rest his soul in Victoria. Eg hub dynamo wheel bearings dropout spokes wheels new stickers tyres .....Except the idler where I went tcycle. Victoria Probably still best bet. Aussie peso pretty cheap.

however ......
Now I’d go through raystrikes south Australia for greenspeed parts. Try to help south Australia keep its statehood.

love my gto it will be my last bike. Seen a gtr one inch ground clearance but not seen the mighty mighty aluminium tank steer aero. Didn’t exist at time of catrike 700 purchase. 2014. And whilstat the time I loved the vortex it’s ground clearance put me off. Of course the vtx today is a better trike.

do you pay import duty in merica. Been watching too much John cardogan Aussie motor reviews.

thinning the herd is difficult. I know....sniffles

and just who are these plenty of people with more bikes than your good self. Bill k is right .

im safe downunda from your wife right . Don’t let her talk with my wife. ;)

Last edited:

3bs

whereabouts unknown
we have similar trike experience.
my expedition is set up for guests with a chain take up. i also experiment with wheel size on it. but, as wonderful as it is, it is not set for speed. i did not buy the 700 as i felt i needed something anyone would like to ride as a guest trike.

i rode an slr. interesting but not practical.
i have a sims built gts custom 30 degree seat, 700mm track, 349 x 3 sims rims cross one in front cross two in back 9/26 cassette, drums, scorchers. i never get tired of riding this trike.

but, why not have all of this greatness and see if i can shave weight? so i scored a new aero frame. now i just have to find the parts for the rebuild, and then look at the parts to see what i can lighten or make more aero. frame with kingpin bearings weighs 9 lbs. which is why i need to find parts. greenspeed usa has no aero parts. i emailed wendy and she said she would get back to me. but i fear it may be a little uneasy down there in the wake of losing ian. so this may take a while to build. i need the stock aero parts so i can work on logical changes is possible. target weight 25lbs. realistic weight 27. and it sill must climb well and descend well, so i will likely still be 2 rings in front.

lucky for me as a distraction, i have three different FWD projects going right now. i am accumulating parts for two and i have the third under construction in an undisclosed location.

i had another epiphany / cathartic moment a few years back when i went back to bikes from decades of cars and trucks. i can put all of my bikes in two full sized parking spaces, and my annual expense on insurance and upkeep on N number of bikes and trikes does not match even the cost of 1 car or truck (not that i am totally out of petrol powered locomotion, but i have in deed cut the inventory dramatically.

some cars and some bikes however i will likely keep to the end.

i know a couple guys with bike shops. they have more than i
no one is safe from my wife if she chooses. lucky for me she is a good mother, seems to like me enough not to kick me to the curb, and is a profit center.

yellow greenspeed gts.jpg DSCF0138.JPG

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I went straight to Aussie Ian Simmo himself god rest his soul in Victoria. Eg hub dynamo wheel bearings dropout spokes wheels new stickers tyres .....Except the idler where I went tcycle. Victoria Probably still best bet. Aussie peso pretty cheap.

however ......
Now I’d go through raystrikes south Australia for greenspeed parts. Try to help south Australia keep its statehood.

love my gto it will be my last bike. Seen a gtr one inch ground clearance but not seen the mighty mighty aluminium tank steer aero. Didn’t exist at time of catrike 700 purchase. 2014. And whilstat the time I loved the vortex it’s ground clearance put me off. Of course the vtx today is a better trike.

do you pay import duty in merica. Been watching too much John cardogan Aussie motor reviews.

thinning the herd is difficult. I know....sniffles

and just who are these plenty of people with more bikes than your good self. Bill k is right .

im safe downunda from your wife right . Don’t let her talk with my wife. ;)

We have a very successful and helpful Greenspeed dealer in SA, who also organises weekly rides!!!!
He also loans out display trikes, for one day to week long trials, or for visiting friends relatives to ride with a Trike owner!
Rays Trikes
16 Allendale Grove,
Woodside SA
04 2722 4439