Pelso Brevet review / comparison to vendetta.

jond

Zen MBB Master
We have a very successful and helpful Greenspeed dealer in SA, who also organises weekly rides!!!!
He also loans out display trikes, for one day to week long trials, or for visiting friends relatives to ride with a Trike owner!
Rays Trikes
16 Allendale Grove,
Woodside SA
04 2722 4439

Ray can also be contacted on strava. He is a member of bent trike riders club. Name rays trikes.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@super slim @jond @benphyr

update on aero parts. i still have not heard back from wendy, but, i pinged jesse at hostel shoppe, wendy told him they were out of aero parts and waiting for new parts to come in.
TRhen i pinged ray, and he too is actually rebuilding an aero, and so he is on the hunt for parts as well. he said wendy told him they are out of aero parts too.
ray said he had a guy who might make us parts, and i suggested we get the guy to make super light parts, and he and i could have superlight aeros. he said he would keep me in the loop.

in the meantime i will go back to working on other projects, and trying to figure out how to get me and a bike to sebring so i can ride on the CB CRAP racing team.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Edit.

curiosity got to me and I fitted a performer tiller to the pelso.

it’s more aero looks better to me and less bulky but still a little slower than the vendetta albeit not by much.

it’s also harder to push around with loss of real estate for accessories. Possibly less stable at ultra slow speeds. Meh.

verdict. Nil plus.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)

A(nother) pic ... I manipulated Jond's pic to better make out details of the bike. Ta da ...

Jond, is that a Bacchetta Brainbox bag on the back of the seat? If so, does the install use the bag's "seat pocket" (my terminology) that's intended to slip over the top of the seat? There appears to be an added black wrap of material around the angled bottom of the bag and the seatback, yes? Very interested in how this is mounted, as the seat appears to have a stiffening ledge around the perimeter, like the stock seat on my S40, which would seem to interfere with mounting most similar "brain box" type seat bags. I'd very much like to mount a bag of this type on my S40, but I've seen photos online of some installation issues with the Cruzbike seat (see attached pics). Are you willing to divulge the secret sauce behind your brain box install success?

Thanks!

-Jack K.
Raleigh, NC

Attachments

• aaaaa2E9179CC-F331-490F-9ED6-5A534F4E7A84_InPixio.jpg
    aaaaa2E9179CC-F331-490F-9ED6-5A534F4E7A84_InPixio.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 74
  • zzzzzzzth2.jpg
    zzzzzzzth2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 77
  • zzzzzzzzzth3.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzth3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 68

3bs

whereabouts unknown
of course in my distorted sense of reality, after emailing with ray several times and learing that he too is having no luck whatsoever gettting aero parts for his aero rebuild, i found a used SLR, also in yellow. should be fun. i think it is a 3x 348, so it will have an inch and change clearance. but, i think that if i re rim it to 406 i pick up an inch. which will make it pretty close to the aero. of course it will still be one handed tank steer and 20 degree seat tilt (like a vendetta...) then i can build the aero whenever greenspeed wakes. up.

jond

Zen MBB Master
A(nother) pic ... I manipulated Jond's pic to better make out details of the bike. Ta da ...

Jond, is that a Bacchetta Brainbox bag on the back of the seat? If so, does the install use the bag's "seat pocket" (my terminology) that's intended to slip over the top of the seat? There appears to be an added black wrap of material around the angled bottom of the bag and the seatback, yes? Very interested in how this is mounted, as the seat appears to have a stiffening ledge around the perimeter, like the stock seat on my S40, which would seem to interfere with mounting most similar "brain box" type seat bags. I'd very much like to mount a bag of this type on my S40, but I've seen photos online of some installation issues with the Cruzbike seat (see attached pics). Are you willing to divulge the secret sauce behind your brain box install success?

Thanks!

-Jack K.
Raleigh, NC

hi jack. The pelso new seat like the original Bacchetta railgun does indeed use the seat pocket as a sleeve and thus protrudes slightly past the top lid. The added black wrap comes included with the bag and further supports and secures the bag via two top clips an over seat wrap and two adjustable underseat straps.

The vendetta seat was too narrow and resulting angle resulted in tyre rub on bag. So I made a flat aluminium bar paddle shape that attached to neckrest. Bag was still below top neckrest.

Attachments

• C97A9D12-4A31-4523-9D4C-5331ED3D3A9E.jpeg
    C97A9D12-4A31-4523-9D4C-5331ED3D3A9E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • AB37096F-3E1F-4935-82D2-AFA67A86469C.jpeg
    AB37096F-3E1F-4935-82D2-AFA67A86469C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • E049A648-3775-4644-9B8F-7E156C9351FE.jpeg
    E049A648-3775-4644-9B8F-7E156C9351FE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67

jond

Zen MBB Master
Another pic.

Attachments

• B4F32448-B22E-4E35-B780-665269B89BB6.jpeg
    B4F32448-B22E-4E35-B780-665269B89BB6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Most AL RHS framed Greenspeed trikes are now built in Taiwan!
I don't know where the Aero is built?
I think only the old Chromoly frames were built in Australia???

I hope Greenspeeds are still sold in Australia, through the existing network!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
My gto was my first and will be my last recumbent. A quality product. Sad that greenspeed has left our shores. That’s business. Onwards and upwards.

yes the original cro moly frames were made in Australia by straylyans . By 2002 the cro mo was being welded painted overseas.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
my gts is my favorite and fastest tadpole. but, my SLR is supposed to be here next week. i suspect it will be faster than the gts, but i may not enjoy the lower seat angle, lower ground clearance and single tank steer, as i ride everything on the road. that said i have some ideas on logical updates to the SLR, but if i could just get this aero built up, i would leave the SLR in original condition.

i cant see them ending the Australian presence. greenspeed has distributed terra/ wiz stuff down under for a pretty long time. seems to me that this would create a good drop ship location for those products. i could also see grand rapids being a logical onshore warehousing for GS in the states. i think their onshore guy was based in Chicago, so this is really not a big distance change. given some of the fantastic MUPs that continue to grow in west michigan, this is ideal for growing trike numbers. terra and GS trikes dont really overlap that much, so i think the combination will be a great sum than the whole of the parts.

Enid

Cruzbike vendetta V2 and v20 50,000 klm plus. Sram red mechanical build enve 6.7 wheelset. I run a pneumatic old inner tube inside oem neckrest for increased comfort

Pelso brevet 3000 klm . Dura ace sram xo build. yoleo 50 mm carbon wheels. Disc brakes.

I could bang on forever with facts and figures but that info is already readily available

so subjective opinion then..........

they are different bikes purposed for me. Both are similar specs and seat lay backs.

The pelso is fitted with their new seat not the Bacchetta rail gun seen online even in the euro spec.

It is more laid back and now at around twenty degrees I use a neckrest. The Bacchetta rail gun I do not need a neckrest even at max recline below twenty degrees.

If I want the fastest I ride the vendetta.

If I want the lightest I ride either.

If I want maximum versatility I ride the brevet.

cruzbike vendetta advantages.

that efficient fwd driveline mbb and great design. A real sports car. Purposed for speed. Yet most capable of audax and even touring if so inclined.

wheel weighting 50/50 approx and v20 infinite adjustability.

customer support and forum.

Great reliable quality established product.

Number one attribute is speed.

pelso advantages.

seat angle adjustment.

possible for greater comfort largely due to larger Tyre size choices up to 42 mm. like cruzbike s40 versatile and perhaps a better comparison.

the pelso pad is notably very very comfortable. I run with a thin ventisit pad on both bikes however due to utility.

Both bikes are ergonomically great and ride quality is most comfy.

Given that tyres are the chief comfort giver on any non suspended recumbent then the pelso shades the vendetta comfort here.

But not totally because of frame material differences. Both bikes at 100 psi tyre pressures can be over rough potholed surfaces rather bone rattling . I note no major real advantage of carbon v aluminium in the frame attributes. Unlike my aluminium to carbon fibre df experience. Testimony then to the advanced material design of the vendetta.

The jbar though visually still somewhat ungainly to my eye are nevertheless superb and I won’t be putting a tiller on. Edit um I did....

nice quality finish and thoughtful design.

number one attribute is comfort.

This bike is a gto. It’s bigger than the vendetta in every way. You sit on the brevet rather than in despite the euro swoop. Gnomes need not apply.

conclusion.

like all of my recumbents my favourite is the one I rode yesterday. And no mistake they each have separate purpose. Which leaves the brevet the most versatile for my needs.

edit oct 2021. I fitted a tiller to the pelso removing the antler like j bar. Makes it marginally faster but loses some handling. Minor. Still hold to my review.

View attachment 8573 View attachment 8574 View attachment 8575 View attachment 8576
Now that you have a tiller on the bike and have ridden it for some time, can you provide more detail on the speed/comfort differences between the Pelso and the V20? The Pelso should be lighter, right?