Psycho 48 in NC, 21-23 Oct 2023

It's back again, and this year the 24 hour is also a RAAM qualifier. I'm planning to do the 48 hour just because it's there, and my CruzBike V20 is just so darn comfy and fun to ride! I'll have two good friends with me, one on a Bacchetta Carbon Aero 3, and the other on a Catrike Expedition. We did this last year and had a blast (and got a bit wet and tired). Hope to see a few other CruzBikes there too!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'll be there for the 12-hour if I can get my Van repaired - requires a complete tear down - barely made it back from Cycle-Con.
I've barely been riding this year so I'lll be lucky to ride the 12 hours without falling over this year. Last year I beat the fastest 12-hour rider by over 10 miles - but I was in the 24 hour - and had to quite because I was seeing double. :(
Hope to see you all there!

LarryOz

Cruzbike has another WUCA North American Championship title, as I won the overall 12-hour race yesterday at the 2023 Pyscho event. Covering 258.6 miles in the heavist winds I have ever ridden in. My closest competator was Georgi S on an upright bike. We were together in a small group until I rode away from them at mile 65 when we were riding dead into 15mph headwinds. I beat him by over 10 miles. in the end
The wind was relentless and was at least 25mph much of the time and gusty. Unfortunaly the way the course was laid out, riders had to deal with 25 miles of heavy cross and headwinds, and only 10 miles with a tail wind. When I got in the tailwind I could ride close to 30 mph easily and I know the wind was blowing close that speed because there was no feel of wind agaist me at all - and very quite. It was quite fun - but riding dead into it was not!

2023 Psycho 12-hr Podium.jpgHere is my Strava file: https://www.strava.com/activities/10080899858
There was a huge consensus at the award ceremony that Gerorgi should have been the overall winner because I was on a recumbent, and there were also a couple comments on Georgi's strava feed that: "They gave it to the Recumbent
32.png
bs".
In reality there were Overall, Upright, and Recumbent categories for both male and female.
They did not have a specific award ceremony for Upright, Recumbent Male or Femail categories, although the had one for Male 75-80 Uprgiht which was odd.
I think the male upright riders were greatly dissapointed they did not have a specific award ceremony for their category - espcially since they represented over 50% of the field. The female overall just happened to be 2 upright riders - but that is because Maria wasn't riding
It seems like it would be best to work the up to the overall and give some recognition to as many riders as possible.

The race in less than 1000 words!
I rode with the the "fast" group out of the gate which was comprised of about 20 uprights and myself. After 1 -35 mlie lap the field was down to 3 ( 1 - 100 mile rider, Gerogi and another upright 12-hour rider. I was riding the Magic
5 or 6 miles before the finish of the 2nd lap at mile 65 I left this group of 3 - not that I was trying to, but I was just set at my wattage and they just slowed down (I think because we where straight into the headwind.
I then stopped for about 30 secs at the loop finish and tunred on my taillight.
Then I started on the 3rd lap. The wind was even more ferocious and I had a terrible time controlling the bike. I prayed for the Lord to just get me through this lap so I coud change over to the V20C - (yes, just like Natchez Trace last year). I fought the wind for the 25 miles of that loop and was so grateful to finish. I stopped again to switch bikes. My good friend Jill offered to help me and graciously filled whatever bottles I needed. I that point I had ridden 4 1/2 hours and had drank 90 ounces of fuel.
I took off again on the 4th lap with aobut a 4 min advantage on the 3 riders behind me who had worked together the entire 3rd lap while I rode my solo.
The V20C was so nice a stable. I felt the power of the wind but did not have any trouble controlling the bike.
I basically rode each lap about the same intensity for the next 3 laps - stopping at my car - where Jill would fill me in on my closest competitor and fill my bottle with fuel. I did this for the laps 4,5,67. In the middle of lap 6 I had stop and turn on my headlight and relieve myself. Riidngin the pitch black was also a stuflle for me. I was seeing double again (just like last year) - which makes is especailly challenging at night. I was glad only 1 hour of the 12 hours was in the dark!
When I finished lap 7 and 248 miles Jill told me my closest rival was 20 miles away. I still had about 35 minutes to go. Wow! I thought - that meant there was no way they could catch me. Regardless I soldered on - and manged to ride another 10+ miles for my final total. The temp had also dropped to about 50 degrees and it felt quite chilly with sweat soaked clothing. Jill was kind enough to pick me up with 5 minutes of stopping. WHen I was done I found out the the person is 2nd was only about 10 miles behind be but no one knew because his traker apparently was not working correctly. I'm really glad I kept going - or we would have tied - as he stopped right at the finish of his 7th lap

We all know the Vendetta in any year have is super aerodyamically to any upright. However many have proven that a fully tricked out upright with a wind tunnel trained rider is very close.

It is not uncommon for upright riders to claim we have unfair advantage - but I was really curious: did Georgi's effort for the 12 hours really exceed mine significanly, but I won because I was just cheating on my V20C?

After looking at the power data from both our rides yesterday - the answer is a resounding no! I actually had a 5% higher W/Kg output than Georgi over the entire 12 hours (and he was even fortunate enough to ride in at least a 3 person pace group for 106 miles with 2 other teammates. I was in the group for only 65 and then rode solo for a194.)
Here is my analysis.
LarryGeorginotes
weight Kg6575(est) for Georgie, as he is significantly larger than me - estimate 10 KG - later confirmed by him
power W132145
W/Kg2.031.93
Delta-5.04%
Recumbent factor 10%2.231.93It is well known that there is a power lost in the recumbent position of 10-20% (based on low seat angle and resulting hip angle - when compared to an upright power

I realize my 12-hour power (and even W/KG of only 2.0) is not really much compared to some out there (like Cliff, Derek or Jason), but I am pretty happy with it because I know since my heart attack almot 3 years ago that its capabily to pump was reduced by over 50%. (That will never change or heal - it is dead tissue now.) This result was also only after 7 weeks of training. Mostly 2-5 hours of zone 2 riding 4-5 times a week, and one Zwift race (usually 1 hour) on Tuesday nights. So when you only have 2 months to train for an event - don't worry - you can still do it!

Amazingly I could still stand up.
Larry at 2023 Psycho.jpg
Thank you everyone for your support and encouragment!

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations Larry!

Their comments are really interesting. It's like complaining someone win because they ride in a $15k super bike instead of a $8k bike. No one is stopping them from riding a recumbent bike other than themselves. :)

Opik

The podium photo is very funny, Larry looks like a kid being held up by his uncles.

also, it's rather strange Georgi had a lower wattage. maybe he exchanged drafts with the 3rd? because usually it's bentriders who have lower wattage owing to the aero effect so they don't work as hard and the limited pumping of blood

Robert Volk

Psycho 48 results.

420 miles in 24 hour non-drafting race

* 1st place for age group 50-59.
* 1st place for category
* 5th place overall out of 32.

12,154 calories burned.

https://strava.app.link/YOAkQHqg8Db

Bike setup:
V20c
SRAM Force AXS 12 speed
FLO AS 77 wheels
Continental Grand Prix TT TLR tires

Started with a temperature of 64 degrees and winds out of the west at 22 mph. Minimum night temperature was 50 degrees. I enjoying the cool temperatures, for a change

Lots of critters out at night, almost hit a possum just sitting in my lane. Seen a lot of weird things between 1am and 4am, course most of it isn’t real, just the brain seeing things when you’re tired and all the shadows around. I think I may have fell asleep once. Was biking along and then all of a sudden I didn’t know what side of the Road I was on. Funny how the legs just keep going.

Fun and well organized race. Roads were super flat and smooth, traffic was light, and the drivers were very courteous.

IMG_9357.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9358.jpeg
    IMG_9358.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9377.jpeg
    IMG_9377.jpeg
    764 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
This says it all: 3 Goliath's against 1 David!
This was somewhere near the end of the 2nd lap - probably around mile 60 or so.
At mile 65 I passed them and road solo for next 9+ hours.
View attachment 16240
The great thing about you Larry is that you have very good Watt to volume ratio. Less drag is such a pleasure and even more so in the wind. You were putting out great power numbers as you weren't drafting... unlike them.

Awesome job @LarryOz I was inspired each time you passed me! Amazing comeback from a heart attack three years ago, God has certainly blessed you. Thanks for the great write up. My friend Dominic stopped by the Cruseum the day after he and I finished the 48 hour race, he did 560 miles. I was on my V20, he was on a Bacchetta CA3, but had mechanical issues so had to switch to a heavier Corsa. He’s been looking hard at the V20C and might get one soon. I had another friend there, Mike, who rode a Catrike. He’s considering a V20C also, but really did a lot of miles (420) on his trike. I managed to cover 585 miles in the 48 hours and win the recumbent category. There were 14 total cyclists in the 48 hour event, I was third overall compared to all 48 hour riders, but they did separate out our award ceremony between uprights and recumbents instead of combining it like they did on the 12 hour. Overall great experience. It was windy, but last year it rained. Despite the wind, the weather was beautiful.
IMG_3177.jpegIMG_1612.jpegIMG_0916_Original.jpegIMG_6504.jpegIMG_6503.jpegIMG_6491.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryOz

Awesome job @LarryOz I was inspired each time you passed me! Amazing comeback from a heart attack three years ago, God has certainly blessed you. Thanks for the great write up. My friend Dominic stopped by the Cruseum the day after he and I finished the 48 hour race, he did 560 miles. I was on my V20, he was on a Bacchetta CA3, but had mechanical issues so had to switch to a heavier Corsa. He’s been looking hard at the V20C and might get one soon. I had another friend there, Mike, who rode a Catrike. He’s considering a V20C also, but really did a lot of miles (420) on his trike. I managed to cover 585 miles in the 48 hours and win the recumbent category. There were 14 total cyclists in the 48 hour event, I was third overall compared to all 48 hour riders, but they did separate out our award ceremony between uprights and recumbents instead of combining it like they did on the 12 hour. Overall great experience. It was windy, but last year it rained. Despite the wind, the weather was beautiful.
Super result David - very proud of you - and Dominic
Yes - the awards thng is odd. Since the 12-hour was a WUCA Championship they required all (unfaired) bike categories to be combined together. That kind of ruffled the feathers of all the upright riders as they did not get their own podium.
This will probalby be the last event that happens unfortunatley - so I guess I was lucky to get that recognition.
See you next time.

and yes , it was great to have Dominic come by and see the Museum. Hoefully I'll get him all setup on a V20 sometime soon. I think he's convinced after seeing our results