Q45 Across America

DocS

Guru
I'm trying to convince a fellow Disabled Combat Veteran friend of mine to join me next spring!!!

Blessings,
DocS

Gofer

Hello Jim I like your 40 ounce water bottle and suction hoes set up on your Q-45 .Where did you order it and the mounting cage for the tube?

woodguy

Hi Gofer - I got the bottle, tube & drink attachment from Amazon. I’ve changed the system somewhat from my original design. See the new picture with the bottle underneath the front boom. I like this better. The cage is something I cobbled together from plumbing parts I found at the local home center. The bottle slides in and out easily & I hold it in place with Velcro. Needed a longer drink tube with the new location, but that was easy to find at the local hardware store.
26C0BC52-4897-4D9A-B92D-40FAB131BB23.jpeg

Gofer

Hi Gofer - I got the bottle, tube & drink attachment from Amazon. I’ve changed the system somewhat from my original design. See the new picture with the bottle underneath the front boom. I like this better. The cage is something I cobbled together from plumbing parts I found at the local home center. The bottle slides in and out easily & I hold it in place with Velcro. Needed a longer drink tube with the new location, but that was easy to find at the local hardware store.
View attachment 14211
That’s great thank you Jim.I will rig something like that on my Q-45 I am doing the ST starting Feb 1 2023

Mark Clayton

You are an inspiration. Thank you Jim.

I had a custom built diamond frame tour bike that I planned to ride around the world on. Then in 2016 I was hit on the freeway from behind by a truck and trailer. My bike was on the back in the rack. It was totaled, my car was totaled, my right shoulder was wrecked and I did not think my dreams of touring the world on bike could ever happen because I cannot put that kind of constant pressure on my shoulder anymore. Heck, I can't even be intimate with a woman in the missionary position any more.

I moved from Seattle to Ventura California a few months after the accident with my female partner who grew up in Santa Barbara. With all that beautiful weather in Ventura, it was killing me not to ride a bike. I searched the internet and found Cruzbike. In the fall of 2018 I purchased a Q45 in Portland Oregon, got on Amtrack, got off in San Louis Obisbo and road the final 200 miles home. I had not been on a bicycle in over 2 years and the Q45 made the ride easy for me to ride 30 to 50 miles per day.

I loved riding in 2019 and then COVID hit, I lost my female partner to COVID, and the bike went into storage in Ventura as I returned to living in Seattle. I got my bike out of storage a little more than a year ago and am living in Seattle and Bakersfield now.

I keep the bike in Bakersfield where I have a garage to keep it in. I drive back and forth between Bakersfield and Seattle every few months staying in each place 6 - 12 weeks. I am trying to figure out a quick and easy way to break the bike down, put it in the back seat of my Buick Lesabre and take it back and forth with me.

I just joined the forum today and will make a post about that. Thank you for your inspiration Jim.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master

I had a custom built diamond frame tour bike that I planned to ride around the world on. Then in 2016 I was hit on the freeway from behind by a truck and trailer. My bike was on the back in the rack. It was totaled, my car was totaled, my right shoulder was wrecked and I did not think my dreams of touring the world on bike could ever happen because I cannot put that kind of constant pressure on my shoulder anymore. Heck, I can't even be intimate with a woman in the missionary position any more.

I moved from Seattle to Ventura California a few months after the accident with my female partner who grew up in Santa Barbara. With all that beautiful weather in Ventura, it was killing me not to ride a bike. I searched the internet and found Cruzbike. In the fall of 2018 I purchased a Q45 in Portland Oregon, got on Amtrack, got off in San Louis Obisbo and road the final 200 miles home. I had not been on a bicycle in over 2 years and the Q45 made the ride easy for me to ride 30 to 50 miles per day.

I loved riding in 2019 and then COVID hit, I lost my female partner to COVID, and the bike went into storage in Ventura as I returned to living in Seattle. I got my bike out of storage a little more than a year ago and am living in Seattle and Bakersfield now.

I keep the bike in Bakersfield where I have a garage to keep it in. I drive back and forth between Bakersfield and Seattle every few months staying in each place 6 - 12 weeks. I am trying to figure out a quick and easy way to break the bike down, put it in the back seat of my Buick Lesabre and take it back and forth with me.

I just joined the forum today and will make a post about that. Thank you for your inspiration Jim.
Keep riding! Let me know if you want to ride together around Seattle in the summer.

Michael

woodguy

Thanks Mark - you are bringing back good memories for me from 2019! I haven’t taken on as ambitious a trip since then, but it was a great experience on the Q45. My long ride last year was 750 miles around Northern Minnesota.

I have taken my Q45 apart enough to fit in the back of my Toyota Camry. Not sure how that compares in size to the LeSabre. If you can put it on the back seat, my guess is that taking both wheels off might allow it to slide in. Of course you’d have to get some protection for the seat. Let me know if you get it figured out.

Mark Clayton

Keep riding! Let me know if you want to ride together around Seattle in the summer.

Michael
Hi Michael. I will be back in Seattle the second week of May and would enjoy having someone to ride with.

To be honest, the partner I lost to COVID was my riding partner. She watched after me since I took a few bad falls on the bike. I never broke bones but anyone my age would have without being in good health and having strong bones. I felt confident and secure having her ride with me. She was younger than me. I am now 66.

Now that I have no one riding but myself, I lack confidence, have balance issues, and am having great difficulty with my starts. That is not to speak of the fact that I gained some weight since buying the bike.

Only this past week I began riding a little bit again after being off the bike for nearly a year due to my confidence issues and the seat problem I am having. I am going to be riding while in Bakersfield with the hopes of getting my confidence back.

My seat is reclined like the seat on this V20. I struggled trying to fix it for a year each time I was here in Bakersfield. I would go out on a ride thinking it is fixed and the seat proved me wrong every time. Today, I sent a message to the dealer in Portland where I purchased it asking him for help with instructons on how to fix the problem.

With good success, by the time I am in Seattle, I will be in good riding shape and will not be a burdon on you to ride with me. Yes, I would love someone to ride with.

I am in Burien. I do not know if it is right for me to leave a phone number or email on this Forum without violating the rules. How do I contact you?

1709101067526.png

Mark Clayton

Thanks Mark - you are bringing back good memories for me from 2019! I haven’t taken on as ambitious a trip since then, but it was a great experience on the Q45. My long ride last year was 750 miles around Northern Minnesota.

I have taken my Q45 apart enough to fit in the back of my Toyota Camry. Not sure how that compares in size to the LeSabre. If you can put it on the back seat, my guess is that taking both wheels off might allow it to slide in. Of course you’d have to get some protection for the seat. Let me know if you get it figured out.
Thank you Jim. I will keep you posted.