Quest modifications-advice wanted

lhill409

I decided to keep my Quest and gradually modify to meet my wants. I want to put 700's for better speed options and change out the handlebars for something a little more comfortable. I would love if there was a better seat option as well. I test rode the Silvio but need to be more upright for my back, shoulder and neck issues from a bad car wreck when I was younger so that is not an option. I'm thinking of buying the Ice trike head rest and mounting as well since my neck needs more support. I know I will have to change out the braking system as well with the larger wheels. Do you find changing the gearing has advantages as well? I live in the NW and we have lots of hills! This will be my second bike. I own a diamond frame which is my primary but will ride this when my back isn't in the mood to bend for that long.

Thanks for any advice based on your experience. I would like to start buying parts and bring to my local shop to build.

Thanks!
lorine

Gromit

Guru
IMHO You wont need to change

IMHO You wont need to change the braking system. The 160mm front disk is perfectly adequate and the 140mm rear disk, locks the wheel very easily as its loading is low when the front brake is in action.
I've just built up my Quest 3.0 29er (700c) with DT Swiss disk rims and the standard equipment Avid BB5 disk brake callipers.
I live in a relatively flat part of the UK so I've been able to use a Shimano Alfine 8 IGH. The Shimano hub has a Centerlock fitting so I just fitted a 160mm disk rotor.
Tyres are Schwalbe Durano 700c x 25mm.
I haven't changed the handlebars yet but I'm thinking about drop bars like the ones on the Quest 3.0 29er linked below.
http://www.cruzbike.com/reading-tea-leaves-ii#comment-26523
I've fitted a headrest but its a bit too springy, the ICE Trikes headrest looks more substantial.

lhill409

Thank you!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start making a list of options. Interesting about the disk brakes. When I bought the bike I was told I would have to switch to caliper if I changed the tire size. I am glad I don't have to. Do you have pics of your build?

Thanks again.

Gromit

Guru
Pictures of Quest 3.0 29er

Here are some pics. I also have an air shock.

Quest_29er1.jpg height:668px;
Quest_29er2.jpg
Quest_29er3.jpg
Quest_29er4.jpg

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Lovely machine, Gromit...

How much did you have to shave off of the kickstand mount to accommodate the 700c tires?

Nice job.

Gromit

Guru
Nothing

Nothing at all Doug. There is loads of clearance there.

Thanks for your kind words.
regular_smile.gif

Edit: Just measured it, 13mm clearance.

Gromit

Guru
Terracycle Fastback Carbon Slim Seatback Bag

The bag is a Terracycle Fastback Carbon Slim Seatback Bag. More information in my earlier thread including how to fit it.
http://cruzbike.com/terracycle-fastback-carbon-slim-seatback-bag

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That makes three

Colin also just finished his 700c mod we need to track him down and get some photos. The 2 we've seen so far look great.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Gromit, 
You can't get the

Gromit,
You can't get the cable feed to the hub to come down the fork, instead of the chainstay, can you? Or is the direction set by flats on the axle?

Gromit

Guru
Alfine/Nexus Non-turn washers

Hi JT

The Alfine 8 IGH uses non-turn washers which fit into the dropouts to control the angle of the cable fitting. The ones that I had to hand were for vertical dropouts. From the table below, I think that the non-turn washers for horizontal dropouts should turn the cable fitting to align with the forks. I'll investigate.

nexus8-washers.gif

Image source http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Ah yes, that very  much like

Ah yes, that very much like the fitting system for the SRAM i-motion 9 that we put on the Sigma. Since you have done so nicely cleaning everything else up, I agree it would be nice to have the cable run down the fork to the IGH. Exemplary.

Rotate the bars down a bit to ease wrist turn?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice. I just did a clamp

Very nice. I just did a clamp shave for a customer yesterday to prevent them hitting her legs.

Gromit

Guru
6L/6R non-turn washers did the trick.

Hi JT

The non-turn washers for horizontal dropouts (6L White / 6R Silver) have allowed me to turn the Alfine 8's cable fitting so it sits more or less parallel to the fork leg. About 5 degrees behind the leg. The cable passes through the top eyelet behind the fork leg (opened up with a drill bit) then curves gently into the cable fitting. The lower eyelet on the back of the fork leg is unused. I'll get a picture sometime. I've also rotated the handlebars down. It was dark by the time that I had finished. Thanks for your great suggestions JT, especially the cable routing one. I'll have to get the forks properly refinished this winter. My hacksaw job on the V-brake fittings is a bit crude.

Hi RCR

Thanks for your kind words.

Gromit

Guru
Pictures of Alfine 8 cable modification on my Quest 3.0 29er

Alfine 8 fitted with non-turn washers for vertical dropouts (8R Blue / 8L Green). Notice the way that the cable has to curve right around to reach the hub.
Quest_29er_non-turn_washers_1.jpg

Alfine 8 fitted with non-turn washers for horizontal dropouts (6R Silver / 6L White). Notice the way that the cable now curves gently into the hub behind the fork leg. Much better IMHO.
Quest_29er_non-turn_washers_2.jpg height:1004px;

Sharp-eyed folk will notice that I've also fitted some double-sided Shimano SPD pedals which I had in my cupboard.
regular_smile.gif

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Very nice! Pretty tight fit

Very nice! Pretty tight fit at the fork crown though. Were I to do the same I would be tempted to grind it down just a wee bit for some more clearance. Fully in context of recognizing personal liability for such contraindicated modifications...

Does the seat base stay in place OK moved that far forward? And does it dig into the backs of your thighs? What is your x-seam?

-Eric