Quest Touch Up Paint

davis5663

Does anyone know where to get touch up paint for the Quest? Romagjack, I saw that you were looking for it last year and the Ford dealership was mentioned. Any luck?

Thanks for any assistance!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Not an expert

After looking at the Quest paint job, I would assume that the paint is a multi-layer process with a white basecoat and a semi-transparent or candy pearl colour overlay. The orange colour might be best matched using Testor's model enamels. With patience, you should be able to get a repair that looks good and would be virtually undetectable except unfer close scruitiny.

Better yet, these marks and blemishes that appear on our Cruzbikes tell the story of its journey. Maybe consider a technique from the Japanese art of Kintsugi, the art of repairing porecelain with a gold-infused lacquer resin. Maybe instead of hiding the blemish, it should be highlighted and celebrated as part of the bike's history.

Or you could also go with the "it's a tool, not a jewel" mindset. There's nothing wrong with that.

Romagjack

I haven't touched mine up

I haven't touched mine up yet. The paint was rubbed off where the brake and shifter cables touch on the frame during turns just below the steering stem. I found some auto touch up paint at Pep Boys - the automotive chain store that looked pretty close but felt it would just rub off again. I'm now trying to think of what I could use to keep the cables from chafing.

billyk

Guru
I use orange electrical tape

I use orange electrical tape to cover/prevent cable chafing, and generally to attach things to my Quest. A variety of these uses are seen in the photos linked below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108555949105733959248/QuestModsNov2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLG95PPd8p7DvAE&feat=directlink

It's not a perfect match, but pretty nearly the same color and is invisible from any distance.

BK

davis5663

Thank you!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be looking for something to match. This should be the right time of year to find orange since its halloween.....

jphipps

Stay-Tuff

Stay-Tuff is a clear laminate that can be use anywhere on the bike to protect the finish. Normally used on the chain stay.

C

Cesca Bynes

Thanks a lot for the bike

Thanks a lot for the bike painting ideas. I find it very helpful. Painting is not as easy as it may seem. There are a lot of things that people ignore and some of the most innocent things take a lot of work. Bike paint screening involves exposing tones of paint to years of brutal climate conditions to see if it can stand up. I will be trying the ideas you have imparted the next time I paint my bike.