Race the Lake 2024 Information

Race the lake is an awesome way tour Lake Winnebago and to see the countryside of Wisconsin. I have done it for the last 2 years as my skills have grown. In 2022 i completed it in 5:20:46 and in 2023 i completed it in 4:48:51. I join wave 7 due to the familiarity of those who always do wave 7. For the last 2 years i have been building trust with the poor unfortunate riders who ride those bikes that cause pain. They are supportive and do not mind me in the peloton, as long as i stay in the back. There is usually a group from my hometown velodrome team that supports me as well during the race. I have won the fastest recumbent in both years. In 2022 there was a few recumbents but in 2023 i was the only one. Wave 7 averages about 22mph for the first 40 miles and then it sort of breaks apart into factions due to the high cliff hill rest area and refueling food. Any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to message me or ask me questions in this thread. My goal is to shave at least another 15 minutes off last years time and if anyone would like to do this route in May, June, or July i could use a test run. The organizers like to say it should be called "Ride the Lake" but they do give out some high quality monetary prizes. The link for more info is below.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Race the lake is an awesome way tour Lake Winnebago and to see the countryside of Wisconsin. I have done it for the last 2 years as my skills have grown. In 2022 i completed it in 5:20:46 and in 2023 i completed it in 4:48:51. I join wave 7 due to the familiarity of those who always do wave 7. For the last 2 years i have been building trust with the poor unfortunate riders who ride those bikes that cause pain. They are supportive and do not mind me in the peloton, as long as i stay in the back. There is usually a group from my hometown velodrome team that supports me as well during the race. I have won the fastest recumbent in both years. In 2022 there was a few recumbents but in 2023 i was the only one. Wave 7 averages about 22mph for the first 40 miles and then it sort of breaks apart into factions due to the high cliff hill rest area and refueling food. Any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to message me or ask me questions in this thread. My goal is to shave at least another 15 minutes off last years time and if anyone would like to do this route in May, June, or July i could use a test run. The organizers like to say it should be called "Ride the Lake" but they do give out some high quality monetary prizes. The link for more info is below.
Wish it was not far away - I'd love to try it!
I'm not in the best shape, but I can still give most fast groups a headache! ;)

Memorial day morning was a thought, we could leave the park at 0430 and be done around 1030 before traffic picks up too much. Just a thought.

Been off-forum for 2 months due to being placed in a walking boot due to 3mm tear in a foot tendon. Been upset and tried to stay away from any reminders of bike riding. will call you this week.

LarryOz

Been off-forum for 2 months due to being placed in a walking boot due to 3mm tear in a foot tendon. Been upset and tried to stay away from any reminders of bike riding. will call you this week.
That is a real bummer Andrew - I hope you are healing up well!

Richard and i will be doing the "Race the Lake" route this weekend most likely Memorial day morning. We plan to leave the park in Fondulac at 0530. If anyone else would like to join please let us know.

Remember my fastest time on this route is 4:48:51 and that was with the first 35 miles with a peloton. I am not "Larry Oslund" fast for sure but it would mean the world to us if we could go on a bike ride with you. We do have to leave the park in Fon du Lac at 0530 though due to the last 20 miles we face the sun with no shade and lots of hills (2 big ones) and the sun on our face. You got my phone number if you want to call. Weather is supposed to be perfect!

LarryOz

Remember my fastest time on this route is 4:48:51 and that was with the first 35 miles with a peloton. I am not "Larry Oslund" fast for sure but it would mean the world to us if we could go on a bike ride with you. We do have to leave the park in Fon du Lac at 0530 though due to the last 20 miles we face the sun with no shade and lots of hills (2 big ones) and the sun on our face. You got my phone number if you want to call. Weather is supposed to be perfect!
Thanks Andrew - I can't make the trial run, but may try and see if I can actually make the real event - I will be visiting my paretns who live in Waukesha - June 25-30 - I will not have my V20, but may see if I can at least take a look at the route in advance via a car. I'll be in touch either way.

Recap of Richard Mueller's and i run yesterday on the "Race the Lake" course. We had a 2 hour delay due to stubborn mist and even had to ride the first hours getting drizzled on. Going north we faced a pretty intense wind the entire 35 miles in that direction. Very light traffic and the drivers in the area gave us plenty of room. The winter thaw did not make any of the smaller bridge transitions dangerous and all railroad crossings were in good repair except one. Road construction was minimal but if the crews do not hurry and complete a section approaching high cliff state park in time, the previous route will need to be adjusted. As for the hill in question, the one I started lifting weights for 6 months ago so I can stay with the peloton and be a good advertisement for CruzBike, I finally made it!!!! It may not be that big of hill for a lot of the more experienced riders in this forum but its big enough to where only around 50% of wave 7 riders during the actual race make it to the top without stopping. And the group typically averages 20-22 MPH the first 40 miles of the race. Now that I KNOW I can make it I am going to train even harder and lift more weights and show how well CruzBikes CAN CLIMB! After getting to the top and turning south after a few miles Rich and I remarked "Its amazing how we are still riding into the wind after turning into the opposite direction". By this point the rain clouds had burnt off the landscape and there was a gentle sun. The drivers continued to very kind even when I was slow to respond while riding two abreast and I am not too sure how long the car waited for me to get over to pass due to me yapping about something to Rich. After a relatively easy 20 mile stretch after high cliff we made our last turn and spent the next 15 miles riding uuuup and dooown the hills of the countryside. Right before the bay of FonduLac we got the treat of a very nice downhill run where you get to really build up some speed for a few miles and test the limits of your aero. I did not break my speed record due to the intersection not being controlled for us like it is during the race but still hit over 30 mph for a good length of time. After crossing the intersection you just have 3 miles of small town riding before you get to the finish line. All in all we finished in 5:15 ride time with a few bathroom breaks. Last year I had my diet perfect and only stopped once to walk my bike up the hill so this August it is possible I never unclip the entire race. Special shout out to Rich Mueller for partnering and at times waiting for me to catch up. He sacrificed a better time to not drop me. I cant wait till August 18th of this year, we already have 3 CruzBikers signed up (wave 7 please), and a few more that may. It is a gorgeous, fun, challenging, and safe way get around 90 miles in an afternoon. I am interested in completing this circuit at least once per month leading up to actual race so if anyone else would like to schedule please message here or send me a PM and we can set it up.