Raven Rock Ramble 2019

A reminder for those in NC or the SE USA, sign ups for the Raven Rock Ramble open up this coming Saturday at 7AM ET. I plan to sign up and have a reminder on my calendar. I have not decided on the distance yet; probably the ~80 miler and add 16 miles by biking to it ;)

http://ravenrockramble.org/index.html

If this is your first time registering (like me) and using PayPal, the process does not follow the normal process. The RRR page sends you to sandbox.paypal.com. You cannot login and pay from there. There is a link below the login box to pay by credit card; click that. I did not see a way to the login to PayPal directly, but you can pay through PayPal as a one off transaction.

This is mentioned on http://ravenrockramble.org/register.htm, but if you click the register button from the front page of RRR site, that is not where you are sent, so you would not see this information.

Jeffrey Ritter

If anyone learns of anyone choosing to sell or transfer their registration, please let me know. I was going to race Calvin's but it got cancelled so I would like to ride.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
If anyone learns of anyone choosing to sell or transfer their registration, please let me know. I was going to race Calvin's but it got cancelled so I would like to ride.
Doug Kline - if you see this - Anyway you can get David Cole to help out? I am not sure of the process of transferring a registration and how it works - or how you find out who is registered but cannot come, but there are so many people registered for this ride that I image there are always a hand full that cannot do it when the time come.
Worst case Jeffrey - just come to it and ride with us - "unregistered" - the only thing you miss is a t-shirt. They do not have any "timing" or "finisher awards" or anything like that anyway.

We had seven (*7*) CruzBike riders at RRR today. I did not notice any other bents, but could easily have missed them. All total we had 3 V’s (two older V’s and a V20 I believe), 3 S40s and an older white Silvio (S30 maybe?).

I wasn’t sure the weather was going to hold out for me to finish the 65 mile ride so I took the short cut and finished around 43 miles. I was happy with my control on the ride. I only had about 130km outdoors leading up to this ride (not counting time doing drills) on the S40 and I just installed the headrest bottle cages yesterday morning. No big issues grabbing a drink and putting it back. It did lead to move movement across the road, but that will go down before long.

I hope everyone else finishes before any more storms come through!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Doug Kline - if you see this - Anyway you can get David Cole to help out? I am not sure of the process of transferring a registration and how it works - or how you find out who is registered but cannot come, but there are so many people registered for this ride that I image there are always a hand full that cannot do it when the time come.
Worst case Jeffrey - just come to it and ride with us - "unregistered" - the only thing you miss is a t-shirt. They do not have any "timing" or "finisher awards" or anything like that anyway.

I remember a time when I could causally poach an event under the radar with friends who payed and no one would be the wiser. Ever since the Vendetta made me famous or infamous depending on your view, I no longer get to show up to most events and fly under the radar on ether of my bikes.

RAR

We had seven (*7*) CruzBike riders at RRR today. I did not notice any other bents, but could easily have missed them. All total we had 3 V’s (two older V’s and a V20 I believe), 3 S40s and an older white Silvio (S30 maybe?).

I wasn’t sure the weather was going to hold out for me to finish the 65 mile ride so I took the short cut and finished around 43 miles. I was happy with my control on the ride. I only had about 130km outdoors leading up to this ride (not counting time doing drills) on the S40 and I just installed the headrest bottle cages yesterday morning. No big issues grabbing a drink and putting it back. It did lead to move movement across the road, but that will go down before long.

I hope everyone else finishes before any more storms come through!
I finished my 100 in the rain though it was only the last 10 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2345337632

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
It was a great ride! I also did not see any other bents other than Cruzbikes. Potential bad weather kept many riders home, but other than some winds and a couple very short periods of drizzle, it was very good riding weather.

Last edited:
@Ken Rudd did you finish the 100k (105k?) as planned? I pulled up when the yellow and green split, but did not see you coming up the road. I followed what I told my wife I was going to do and followed the green chicken arrow ;)

- Josh

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
Josh- I did finish up the ~100k. Not fast, but I finished. To give you an idea of my pace, Larry Oslund road the full 169km distance and finished maybe 13 minutes behind me. Full numbers on Strava.

Other ride notes:
1. First long ride with Thor Easy Seat. I know everybody raves about these, but for me, no big improvement. I had minor recum-butt and no more or less back/shoulder discomfort that stock CB seat.
2. Long rides still give me foot pain/hotfoot. I've tried multiple adjustment fixes with no significant improvement. Now looking at possibly going with Lake or Bont wide shoes.

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
For future reference, I was told by the ride director that there will only be two more RRR. I.e., 2021 will be the last year for the Ramble.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
2. Long rides still give me foot pain/hotfoot. I've tried multiple adjustment fixes with no significant improvement. Now looking at possibly going with Lake or Bont wide shoes.
Try putting your cleats mide sole - that have helps many people. I just made a small adapter out of 1/8" thick aluminum for my look cleats. Works great - have never had hot foot since switching and I would get it regularly. If you are a "point your toe" pedaling you will have to move your boom in or shorten your cranks because mid sole cleat will shorten that distance. If you already pedals with you toe pointing straight up then you will not need to do anything