Rear vs under seat pannier racks?

SteveY

I like the novelty and lower weight profile of the underseat rack. Anyone with real life experience that can share some pros and cons?

Thanks.

Gofer

On my southern Teir bike tour I did in Feb 2023 I used both under seat and rear bike racks .When we arrived in San Antonio I sent the rear panniers home with camping gear and warm clothes I was rid of 14 lbs of gear lightened the load a lot my Q45 handled them both nicely . Under seat keep you nice and stable.IMG_2759.jpegIMG_2877.jpeg

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I've used both under and rear racks in my long tours on my S40. I will do the same on my new Q45. If I had to go with only one set, it would be under the seat. Though, I also make use of the rack space above the Panniers in the rear. Even if you choose to use the under seat racks for your panniers, you may want to also have the rear rack for any extra stuff, like an easy access trunk or to strap a jacket to.

SteveY

Is it awkward to ride with only one under seat pannier? How much extra wind resistance do you notice?

I am rethinking this a bit. Most of my rides are shorter (day rides of less than 100 miles) and I need just a little more storage than the slim underseat bag. Mostly rain gear, food and water. I was hoping to find something I could mount that didn't require a rack on the back but haven't figured it out yet. I strapped a medium backpack to the rear of the seat yesterday and that isn't elegant but worked fine. Maybe a banana bag or similar would work.

I would like to do some bike packing and touring and camping, and that is where the panniers come into play. Two when camping and only 1 needed for hotel overnighters. The only change from the photo is the handlebar water bottle is replaced with 2 mounted to the rear of the seat.

@Gofer : I saw those pics somewhere else and would love to do some longer tours like that - hopefully I can retire in a couple of years and get started!

Thanks.

Attachments

• Cruzbike Lime Green.jpg
    Cruzbike Lime Green.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

SteveY

I just noticed this video -
and checked out the bikes and bags in it.
This is a bit larger than I need for day rides but could work. Not sure but it could be homemade?:
1714326827335.png

There were several Radical Design bags - nice but pricey. But save the cost of the rack:
1714326950068.png

and a Scarab bag:
1714327317320.png

This is a bit larger than I need for day rides but could work. Not sure but it could be homemade?:
1714326827335.png
Jim is riding with the newest Race Case prototype. Previously described. The final version will have writing on it (you can see it somewhere in the video). Front half you can add bottle cages. Mounts to standard head rest tubes. Will likely be for sale soon.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I would like to do some bike packing and touring and camping, and that is where the panniers come into play. Two when camping and only 1 needed for hotel overnighters. The only change from the photo is the handlebar water bottle is replaced with 2 mounted to the rear of the seat.

Here's my S40 loaded down for an 11,000 mile tour around the US perimeter.

1714354523620.png

After the first night, I sent the duffel bag home with about 23 lbs of excess weight. Don't think I could do a camping tour with only two bags.

As far as wind resistance, I don't see that the bags under the seat have any more resistance than the bags on the rear rack. You can hang one bag underneath but if it's real heavy, you may list a little to one side.

SteveY

Here's my S40 loaded down for an 11,000 mile tour around the US perimeter.

After the first night, I sent the duffel bag home with about 23 lbs of excess weight. Don't think I could do a camping tour with only two bags.

As far as wind resistance, I don't see that the bags under the seat have any more resistance than the bags on the rear rack. You can hang one bag underneath but if it's real heavy, you may list a little to one side.
That bike is a beast! I don't think I would wish to ride that around the block, much less the country! My hat is off to you.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I started with 85 lbs of gear on day one, which was 70 miles. After sending home the duffel, I added a little back over time and mostly had about 70 lbs or so. The S40 held up well. Only complaint was daily recumbutt. I kept a daily blog with photos here:

I just received my Q45 frame, which I am lowering the seat back as much as possible and I'm using a Thor Carrier seat. My next tour is next year. Deadhorse AK to Ushuaia, AR., about 15K miles. I'll be using the same bags and basically the same stuff. I hope the Q45 frame holds up as well as the S40.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I notice in the pic of your S40 you use 2 ventisit seats .Does that make it comfy ,no problems with slipping around ?
The two were held together with super sticky Velcro. It held together fine, but it was not a great solution. It was an act of desperation, before I left for the tour, to eliminate recumbutt. It did help but I still had recumbutt most every day. After much effort, I still have not found a solution for the S40, hence, the purchase of the Q45. I'll probably offload the S40 sometime in the future.

Gofer

I would like some more speed ,I think so I was thinking of an S40 or V20c .I am happy with the Q-45 for lower gearing I put a 11-51 cassette with a 34 tooth chain ring .Helped a lot still 11spd .That was my cheapest way to go without buying new wheels hubs and all the goodies

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The two were held together with super sticky Velcro. It held together fine, but it was not a great solution. It was an act of desperation, before I left for the tour, to eliminate recumbutt. It did help but I still had recumbutt most every day. After much effort, I still have not found a solution for the S40, hence, the purchase of the Q45. I'll probably offload the S40 sometime in the future.
For me the S40 solution was to extend the small platform as far as possible, and I added another layer of foam (kind of a medium density) that I shaped into a bit of a "wedge" to provide more padding overall but also a bit more of a "lip" up front to "hold me in" so to say. That can get me a good 50 or 60 miles of continuous sitting without issue. The Dentist for me alone only lasts me about 15 miles and I need a break... but that isn't just on the S40 thats been the case for me on any recumbent with a Dentist... it isn't really a "cushion."

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
For me the S40 solution was to extend the small platform as far as possible, and I added another layer of foam (kind of a medium density) that I shaped into a bit of a "wedge" to provide more padding overall but also a bit more of a "lip" up front to "hold me in" so to say. That can get me a good 50 or 60 miles of continuous sitting without issue. The Dentist for me alone only lasts me about 15 miles and I need a break... but that isn't just on the S40 thats been the case for me on any recumbent with a Dentist... it isn't really a "cushion."
I assume you meant "Ventist". Damn spell checker,

I did the same as you and it helped but didn't eliminate the recumbutt. I add extra cushion inside the ventist. I find that Yoga mat material works well. But, after many seats, cushions, orientations, I found no suitable solution for the S40. I took the seat off the S40 (Thor carrier) and put it on the V20 and it's like heaven to ride. I can do 100 miles without any pain and the Thor seat has you sitting up higher so it's easy to look around comfortably, but slower. I'm moving the same seat to the Q45. I turned the seat post around 180 deg and am mounting it as low in the back as possible, using molding plastic. I also use molding plastic to mount the seat clamps in the front to avoid the Thor ribs. I'm hoping to get an angle close to what I get on the V20. I'm not done yet, but when I finish, I'll take photos and add a thread in the Q45 forum to help others.

SteveY

I have a little butt pain, but nothing like riding a df bike. I found this thread and have been messing around with different types of padding around the sides and front of the seat area. https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/optimizing-fit-eliminate-recumbutt-hot-foot.14642/#post-176239

I have done a couple of 65 mile rides and plan to do longer rides. Maybe a 65 mile gavel this Saturday. My ventisit is more comfortable than the stock pad, but the stock one is showing some wear. I bought the bike used and he never used the ventisit so it is like new.

woodguy

I assume you meant "Ventist". Damn spell checker,

I did the same as you and it helped but didn't eliminate the recumbutt. I add extra cushion inside the ventist. I find that Yoga mat material works well. But, after many seats, cushions, orientations, I found no suitable solution for the S40. I took the seat off the S40 (Thor carrier) and put it on the V20 and it's like heaven to ride. I can do 100 miles without any pain and the Thor seat has you sitting up higher so it's easy to look around comfortably, but slower. I'm moving the same seat to the Q45. I turned the seat post around 180 deg and am mounting it as low in the back as possible, using molding plastic. I also use molding plastic to mount the seat clamps in the front to avoid the Thor ribs. I'm hoping to get an angle close to what I get on the V20. I'm not done yet, but when I finish, I'll take photos and add a thread in the Q45 forum to help others.
You are doing pretty much what I did on my Q45 - turned the seat post around & I’ve got my Thor seat at about 34 degrees. Pretty much totally eliminated the recumbutt. I love it. Here’s a picture:

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13