Recollections of my first 12 hour cycling event. Washington, NC

BentAero

Big L:
I've figured out how

Big L:

I've figured out how to make you stronger, and me faster at the same time; I'll attach an elastic cord from the back of your seat to the front of my boom. You can tow me!

You're my hero, and I'm proud of you.

G

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Eric and Peder.
Peder,

Thanks Eric and Peder.
Peder, to answer you questions: I am 54! Old man already - playing kids games, like racing! haha. But loving it - keeps you young, plus need to put some pressure on those young guns! You're only as old as you feel, right!

I did race a DF frame bike back 30 years ago for one season. I made it to cat 3. Mostly critieriums, but did dabble in long distance once or twice. Once, on a whim (the same year I was racing) I road 350 miles from Raleigh to Savannah with another racing buddy. We did it in 20 hours total time. I also road in one 600 mile RAMM qualifier up in Wisconson somewhere. I was self-suuported, hadn't riden most of the summer due to work, but tried anyway. I was a DNF. I think I pushed 300 miles can't remember my times.

Anyway, I do love the Crusbike recumbent bike. Due to multiple surgeries on my left knee, I had developed pretty bad varicose veins. I have had them operated on twice in the last 18 months. It helped a little, but I still have pain when my legs hang down. Being able to ride with them up in the air like we do with Cruzbike is a plus for me. Not to mention: no knee pain, no back pain, no wrist pain.

My only complaint is that my rear end is "wet" when I ride for longer than a couple of hours, which makes me raw (if you know what I mean!). I have switched to a Ventist seat cushion and do not ride with a chamois insert, both which have helped a lot. But I still did notice excessive moisture and some rawness after this 12 hour event. Not sure what else to do, except learn to not sweat! :)

Eric - Are you planning on riding Sebring in 2015? I see it is Feb 14-15. I am tentatively planning on going, but not sure what event.
Peder - Have you done any racing type events, or want to? You live in Norway, right? (My grandfather immigrated from Sweden, hence my last name: Oslund - used to be Aslund; I think, with those 2 little dots over the A)

Hi Larry....I have only been riding recumbents for about a year but have quite a bit of upright riding experience and I suffer from this sweat and raw problem on long rides or rainy rides. Sometimes I can't walk for a few days.

I wonder if you have identified other approaches to sweat management? Any suggestions? I know this is an old thread but I suspect you have it all dialed in now. Thanks for any tips.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I wonder if you have identified other approaches to sweat management? Any suggestions? I know this is an old thread but I suspect you have it all dialed in now. Thanks for any tips.
Ed, The Ventist seat pad is all you need, and do not wear cotton shorts that can trap the moisture. All the moisture just drips through the Ventist pad and offf the edge of the seat. Best thing since slices bread! Good Luck

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Ed, The Ventist seat pad is all you need, and do not wear cotton shorts that can trap the moisture. All the moisture just drips through the Ventist pad and offf the edge of the seat. Best thing since slices bread! Good Luck
Thanks. I do have a Ventist and a foam pad. I swap back and forth. I had mostly used Assos Mille bibs but then switched to a padless recumbent cycling short without a pad and it seemed worse. No tightie whities under there. I'll go to the Ventist exclusively, thanks. I'm not fat but over my normal racing weight, maybe the extra lard is part of it. I appreciate it thank you again

LarryOz

Thanks. I do have a Ventist and a foam pad. I swap back and forth. I had mostly used Assos Mille bibs but then switched to a padless recumbent cycling short without a pad and it seemed worse. No tightie whities under there. I'll go to the Ventist exclusively, thanks. I'm not fat but over my normal racing weight, maybe the extra lard is part of it. I appreciate it thank you again
Ed,
I apologize, I did forget to mention that I do not ride with any padding in my shorts. It has been my observation that all it does it soak up and hold moisture.
If you still can't keep moisture from your tush, then I have also found that smearing diaper rash ointment on the "area" will also work. I'm resisting the urge to send how to photos.:rolleyes:

Ed,
I apologize, I did forget to mention that I do not ride with any padding in my shorts. It has been my observation that all it does it soak up and hold moisture.
If you still can't keep moisture from your tush, then I have also found that smearing diaper rash ointment on the "area" will also work. I'm resisting the urge to send how to photos.:rolleyes:
Larry what do you use that has no padding? I have discussed with eleven.cc / breathevelo.cc about special ordering their merino bibs sans chamois but at $200aud the twins say no. Also I am a little concerned the Ventisit pad will rip them to shreds just like they do my chinese nicks.

LarryOz

Larry what do you use that has no padding? I have discussed with eleven.cc / breathevelo.cc about special ordering their merino bibs sans chamois but at $200aud the twins say no. Also I am a little concerned the Ventisit pad will rip them to shreds just like they do my chinese nicks.
I am unsure of the brand. My wife found them for me on a recumbent "site". I think they were about $30 a piece. I have 2 pair and they have lasted 2 years now. I think they are getting a little thin in the back, as the Ventist "is" a little rough. :)

jond

Zen MBB Master

Barry go to Kmart. Purchase Lycra shorts and longs about $20 that’s all I ever use on the v. On a saddle it’s tf Mille hellishly expensive. Another cruzbike advantage.

Or buy expensive skins etc.

Turn Kmart Lycra inside out puts rougher seam on outside. You can cut the label for cool factor . Lol.
I can ride all day every day like that without chamois cream. Or a burn in the wrong place.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I use aero tech minimal pad shorts and love them. Padding isn’t much but does give a scant modesty boost. They last and are pretty cheap. Can ride for hours in them.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Tri (triathalon) shorts usually breathe really well and have minimal padding compared to standard cycling shorts. Alao, https://www.benditcycling.com/Recumbent_Shorts.html carry unpadded shorts. I've use an older model that I am very happy with. This could be what Larry has, very plain and unassuming - does the job admirably. (note The size jumps are pretty big for the waist sizes which probably doesn't matter for lycra but comes into play for expedition shorts - I'm just too big for a small and a medium is quite baggy.)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Have tried the Bend it unpadded shorts. Found them to be ok but too baggy in the legs. I like some thigh compression and the Bend its flop around a bit at the bottom. I’m 6’ 1” 190 lbs and the xl is fine in waist and seat but too loose in the leg. Lg is better in the leg but make me sing soprano!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Ed,
Heavy duty lube seems to be working. I can't get used to the Ventist pad. Thanks

LarryOz

What do you not like about the Ventsit? Considering one
It is basically a woven plastic mesh type of product. It is a little rough on your skin, so if you scoot up and down in your seat a lot you can feel it and it will eventually wear a hole in your shorts.
I have noticed on rides where I had to stop and start a lot - and do more seat scooting, I could feel some tenderness.
I think it might be more of a problem the higher angle your seat is, but that is just a guess.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
What do you not like about the Ventsit? Considering one

Well, like they said above, but it is pretty much indestructible, ventilates (duh) great and will not soak up in the rain.
Scooting up and down the the seat will eventually wear a hole in your shorts no matter the material, though.