Recumbent butt better with Thor seat?

Kenneth

The only issue I've continued to have riding the S40 is the recumbent butt i get when riding long rides. I'm wondering if any one has seen this go away with the configuration of the Thor seats? and if yes which one?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
On the V20 the Thor seat didn't improve the recumbent butt situation, it completely eliminated it. I used their racier sport model, I don't recall the name.

I have a large Thor Easy GS on my S40. It's a comfortable seat with very good shoulder support which allows me to ride without a head rest . I'm good for the first 100km and then start getting recumbent butt. The soreness is nothing like on my upright mind you, but noticeably sore. But just like on my upright, the more I ride, the less I'm sore.

I have a large Thor Sport G on my V20. I've never had recumbent butt on that and even did a 600km this year.

However, I ride my S40 more often as it is more social in the groups I hang around with and I'm definitely suffering less than they are.

Kenneth

I say recumbent butt, but its specifically about the pressure that builds up in my hip joint were the femur is moving back and forth . I can see why the V20 would be better for this issue do to the more reclined angle. Right now i can go for 60 to 75 miles before its affect become burden to endure. I'm considering putting a gel pad under the ventisit pad but also consider if a thor seat would do the trick. The stock seat is flat at the seat. In the pictures the Thor looks curved in the seat portion, is this a noticeable difference in the comfort?

rx7mark

Guru
I have a Thor GS Easy seat on my T50. Adding the Thor seat and leaning the seat back from 45 degrees to about 35 degrees eliminated the problem for me. Not sure the Thor by itself would have completely eliminated the problem, though it is more comfortable than stock, especially the added lumbar support! The Ventitist seat pad was also an improvement over the stock pad. I find the combination extremely comfortable.

Mark

jphipps

I tried the stock S40 seat and found it was very uncomfortable for me. I put a medium Thor Carrier seat with thick Ventitist seat pad on the S40 and it made all the difference in riding comfort, I did a 400+ mile tour ( Oregon Bike Ride) this summer and never had a case of recumbent butt. If I ride my Quest about two hours I can feel the numbness starting, it has the stock seat which is similar to the S40 stock seat.

Kenneth

I'm 185.43 cm tall which is at the far end of there recommended height for the carrier seat. How does the seat fit your height and how did the mounting of it go?

3WHELZ

Guru
I have been trying to understand whether it is about height or the proportional difference in the x-seam and torso height for the optimal seat size selection. We are not all proportionally the same. So far, the Ventitist seat pad on the CB supplied S40 seat has worked well, but I am always interested in the options.

jphipps

I'm 178cm tall and there is some room left at the top of my carrier seat, It might fit you better than me. I like the seat because no headrest required and lots of area to push against in the shoulder area. The install is probably similar to other Thor installs, I cut the seat tabs after measuring between the seat ribs. The upper tabs end up with not enough area to put screws into without maybe damaging the frame. I used one of the Perez clamp screws for the upper attachment, match it with the area Thor recommends for mounting. I used wide velcro all around so no part of the seat is rubbing against the frame or seat tabs. The velcro will also help in the initial adjustment before drilling for the Perez clamp screw. Also, I believe there is a weight limit for the carbon version, talk to Thor seats about that.

rx7mark

Guru
I am 188cm tall and right between L and XL. Greg, from Thor, suggested that if I was short or average in torso length to go with the L size. If longer than average in the torso go with XL. For me I am a little longer in the leg length, 45.5 x-seam, and went with the large and it fits great.

Mark

anotherbrian

I think recumbutt means different things to different people, but the S40 was the first time I experienced seat pain on a recumbent after nearly 30 years of riding a mix of P-38 mesh and very reclined CF seats.

I’m using a Ventisit.

My S40 pain was tailbone related. All my CF seats have had a bit of a bowl in them (vs S40 flat) and My sitbones kept pressure off tail bone. I put two separate pieces of foam on the bottom, under my sitbones with a channel between, and my S40 woes we’re resolved.

I had similar pain midway up my spine, but I think I’ve got accustomed to it with the miles, and figured I could build up some thickness along the edge of the seat if it recurred.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Five bents. The more upright I am it’s recumbent butt time. V20 zero. Two mesh seats three hard shell.

Therefore I conclude. More weight on butt is issue . To solve spread weight evenly with better seat so maybe Thor might suit or extra pad. Every backside is unique.

You could go whole hog and entrust your butt to a personal vendetta. But then it’s all about head support.

Or simply stop every hour for a drink break standing.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I solved my butt issues on the Silvio V1.0 with a 45 degs Al seat that is part of the frame, by reducing the shocks reaching my delicate THIN rear end!

First, I increased the tyre size to the max the forks would take with a bit of filing, 700*28 Ultremo ZX, and the correct tyre for a 15% vertical tyre deflection, to give the first isolation of shocks, and minimum rolling resistance, especially on chip seal roads. On the S40 that would be 700*38 tyres
http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

Secondly, I fixed the front air cylinder suspension in the steerer tube that was leaking a lot, as it made heaps of difference on the poorly maintained bike tracks in Sth Aust!!

Thirdly, I replaced the rear stiff 1.6 mm Titanium leaf spring and PU spring, with an air bag and 0.47 mm SS spring, so the rear suspension FLOATED on AIR with 25 mm travel compared to 10 mm!!!

Fourthly, replacing the standard seat cushion internals with 3, then 4 layers of 10 mm thick Ventisit type foam inside the existing seat base and the seat back Cruzbike cover!
https://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/air-circulation-mesh-acs10
I had to adjust the boom length after the 4th layer!

The 4th layer made the difference over a section of bike path, near work where pine trees were planted 50 years ago on each side of the path for shade, but now creates 100's of speed humps!

From all the comments about Thor seats, I would go that way, with a thick ???? mm Ventist seat pad, + 700*38 tyres!

Don't go down the Vendetta Racing Bike rabbit hole, as you have a GREAT TOURING bike!!

Last edited:

Bentas

It's all about seat angle for me, anything above 28 degrees will cause RB after a couple of hrs, under and I can ride all day without issue, standard ventist pad and Thor GS small.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Not *just* seat angle, seat pan size as well. It is all about pressure distribution, this is why mesh seats work so well as it seem from comments of people using them.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I can (and do, unfortunately) seat in a fully upright office seat all day. What's different about it? Seat pan size!
Unfortunately, it would not be very comfortable to pedal in :)

Kenneth

thanks for all the input. I've decided to try the least invasive thing first. First I removed the front seat bolts and the forward part of the seat. Then I added some more velcro with a leather strip to the frame where the seat rests on the frame. The result is without the front bolts and with the added height the seat can flex a little as I ride without hitting the tabs. I've gone for one ten mile ride so far. The handling hasn't changed and the rocking of the seat back and forth a little isn't really noticable. My hope is that as the seat moves a little with the movement of my hips that the pressure point I've been having on long ride won't develop. As soon as I get a chance to go for a long enough ride I'll let you know the results.

telephd

Guru
Id really like to try out a S40 but am concerned about seat angle too. Recumbutt on my original S1.0 was tough until I added a 100mm extension and got my feet up in the air taking some of the pressure of the butt/thigh junction. I even noticed a difference on the last generation Silvios. My first white Silvio (S2.3?) had the dual suspension and a seat angle around 27-28 degrees. I experienced no problem with recumbutt on this bike but I also installed a custom 60mm extension when I built it. When I got the S30 with no front suspension and a 33 degree seat angle I experienced some recumbutt initially but it gradually subsided with more miles on the bike. Back to the S40 with its 40 degree seat angle......Im leary what with more upright position and lower crank height. Hopefully Mark will let me spin the pedals on his new baby if I turn him loose on my V20.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@telephd It seems there are lots of factors. At least:
1. seat pan shape,
2. seat pan angle,
3. seat back shape,
4. seat back angle,
5. bottom bracket to seat height differential,
not to mention body fitness, weight, height, adaption, etc.
I notice that the seat pan angle on the newer S versions are much more level than the earliest Silvio models which curved up in the front. My experience as a relatively skinny male (5'8" 135lbs) with my QX100 and conversion kit, I notice the same pressure on the butt/thigh junction that you noted on the earlier model. It can be quite aggravating especially for long rides.