Recumbent butt better with Thor seat?

vmi1056

I tried the stock S40 seat and found it was very uncomfortable for me. I put a medium Thor Carrier seat with thick Ventitist seat pad on the S40 and it made all the difference in riding comfort, I did a 400+ mile tour ( Oregon Bike Ride) this summer and never had a case of recumbent butt. If I ride my Quest about two hours I can feel the numbness starting, it has the stock seat which is similar to the S40 stock seat.
Hello, new S40 owner here so I am extremely late to this discussion but I noticed you mentioned the Thor Carrier seat. I have broad shoulders so that design appeals to me but it’s tough to gauge how it is on the bike from their website. You still like it? Advantages/disadvantages? Thank you.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I am 6’1” 195 lbs and have the L Thor Easy Seat on my S40. I find that I feel way more stable on the Thor. The seat contour fits and supports my back and shoulders better. The stock seat for me puts all the pressure on my spine at the center (top to bottom) of my back. Not a huge fan of the raised point at the front edge of the Easy Seat but it is fine. Have done centuries in more comfort than I ever experienced on a DF. If I hammer hard on a ride more than 50 miles I do experience some recumbutt. Have wanted to take the Thor Sport Seat off my V to try it on the S but haven’t gotten to that yet.

jphipps

still like carrier seat and S40, did 45 miles yesterday along the central CA coast. the bike is great but would be uncomfortable for me without the carrier seat. the seat only comes in medium size so measure carefully. the seat fits the S40 with a little wiggle room, I used the slider bolt for top attachment vs. trimmed top tabs, and used wide velcro so no part of the seat contacts the frame. I had a back and neck injury over thirty years ago, so the wide top of the carrier seat makes me most comfy when pushing up a hill. the carrier has great lumbar support and I don't slip down as I did with the stock seat. also no headrest needed because the seat pushes the sholders foward to a neutral position.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Has anyone compared the Thor seat with the new Cruzbike Carbon Fiber seat?
Yes. I've done both-- I replaced my Thor seat with the new CB CF adjustable seat before my 4300+ mile cross-continent tour (because the Thor seat, which had been somewhat abused, was cracking).

Honestly, both do the job OK. No complaints either way.