Results of installing a Viscoset headset in an S40

SageRider

Last fall, when I started getting acquainted with my new S40, I was having a hard time. I was veering all over the place and having difficulty relaxing (which obviously does not help).
Winter set in and I put the S40 on a smart trainer. This helped me smooth out my pedal stroke as well as considerably increase my power output.
Fast forward to early 2021 when I acquired a new Q45. First break from winter temps and out I went on the Q45. It was easy. Very close to a standard diamond frame bike. Several things contributed to this: seating position, bottom bracket position, wide handlebars with bars close to the same plane as the fork steering tube, and last but not least, the Cane Creek Viscoset headset installed as standard on the 2021 Q45.
On my Q45, the steering was very tame. No sharp off course excursions. Got me to thinking this headset might help me on my S40.
So I have done two things to my S40: cut the steering tube down to lower the handlebars by two of the stock spacers, and having a Viscoset headset (medium setting) installed on my S40.
I have several rides in. My observations are:
1) I am much more relaxed now riding the S40.
2) My bar position is improved so that my upper arms and shoulders contribute more to steering (as opposed to my forearms) than with the bars higher. I could likely go up to 1 spacer further, but I'll give it some time to see if necessary.
3) My S40 no longer exhibits the tendency for the front end to want to uncontrollably tuck tighter into a slow sharp turn.
4) I am much more stable in a straight line, even with gusty crosswinds.
5) When resuming pedaling at the top end of my gear range (30+MPH) after a fast descent, instead of feeling like I'm about to lose the bike to a wobble, now I experience a gentle sway that is in no way threatening to my feeling of control.
6) Grabbing a water bottle from behind the seat, taking a drink while still pedaling, and returning the bottle to it's cage is no longer an exercise in control (or my lack thereof). I am still not perfectly stable, but my straight line deviation is not excessive and I no longer fear loss of control.

How much of the overall observations are due to the Viscoset is hard to quantify, but I believe it slows the steering down just enough to eliminate the rider induced twitchyness of the steering to a level I am comfortable with.
For me a big win.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Last fall, when I started getting acquainted with my new S40, I was having a hard time. I was veering all over the place and having difficulty relaxing (which obviously does not help).
Winter set in and I put the S40 on a smart trainer. This helped me smooth out my pedal stroke as well as considerably increase my power output.
Fast forward to early 2021 when I acquired a new Q45. First break from winter temps and out I went on the Q45. It was easy. Very close to a standard diamond frame bike. Several things contributed to this: seating position, bottom bracket position, wide handlebars with bars close to the same plane as the fork steering tube, and last but not least, the Cane Creek Viscoset headset installed as standard on the 2021 Q45.
On my Q45, the steering was very tame. No sharp off course excursions. Got me to thinking this headset might help me on my S40.
So I have done two things to my S40: cut the steering tube down to lower the handlebars by two of the stock spacers, and having a Viscoset headset (medium setting) installed on my S40.
I have several rides in. My observations are:
1) I am much more relaxed now riding the S40.
2) My bar position is improved so that my upper arms and shoulders contribute more to steering (as opposed to my forearms) than with the bars higher. I could likely go up to 1 spacer further, but I'll give it some time to see if necessary.
3) My S40 no longer exhibits the tendency for the front end to want to uncontrollably tuck tighter into a slow sharp turn.
4) I am much more stable in a straight line, even with gusty crosswinds.
5) When resuming pedaling at the top end of my gear range (30+MPH) after a fast descent, instead of feeling like I'm about to lose the bike to a wobble, now I experience a gentle sway that is in no way threatening to my feeling of control.
6) Grabbing a water bottle from behind the seat, taking a drink while still pedaling, and returning the bottle to it's cage is no longer an exercise in control (or my lack thereof). I am still not perfectly stable, but my straight line deviation is not excessive and I no longer fear loss of control.

How much of the overall observations are due to the Viscoset is hard to quantify, but I believe it slows the steering down just enough to eliminate the rider induced twitchyness of the steering to a level I am comfortable with.
For me a big win.
That's great! How difficult is it to replace the headset?

SageRider

I had my LBS do the job of both cutting down the fork steerer tube and installing the headset.
The '20 S40 already had a Cane Creek "Ten" EC34 headset stock. Only replacement of the top cup assembly was needed. Standard headset tools/procedures would work. The top stack height of the Viscoset is 12mm taller than the "Ten" which will mean having to adjust the spacer stack. Fork removal is necessary, so pretty much disassembling the front end is needed.
For me, the headset at $80 and paying the LBS for both the fork work and the headset install at $90 was worth it.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Great report!

I tested the Viscoset on an S40 and Q45 (and older Quest) for about 14 months before we decided to add it as a stock installation. It is a significant price increase from a manufacturing standpoint given it is a specialty item as opposed to regular headsets of which there are a hundred options that are all basically the same.

I find it makes the higher speed runs much smoother and really love it for that.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Great report!

I tested the Viscoset on an S40 and Q45 (and older Quest) for about 14 months before we decided to add it as a stock installation. It is a significant price increase from a manufacturing standpoint given it is a specialty item as opposed to regular headsets of which there are a hundred options that are all basically the same.

I find it makes the higher speed runs much smoother and really love it for that.
Robert will the ZS44 28.6 Viscoset suit a Silvio S30 V2.1?

$36 US is a LOT cheaper than $150 au from Aussy bike shops, so would other Aussies, even those RUDE NSW riders, want do a bulk buy from USA?
Using :- My US facility, it has cost me $24 au for a 0.5 kg package shipped to AU, and $46 au for a 1.5 kg package, and approz $10 postage within AU.
Take the total cost of all headsets delivered to each person and divide cost, so all pay the same cost!
https://www.myus.com/where-we-ship/australia/

Anyone interested?

I think this headset would have stopped my accident in 2015, when I hit a 15 degree joint between a bricked bike path and a concrete slab!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The Viscoset will not work on the older hydroformed models or the current V20 - only the older Q's, current Q45, and the S40 as they have "standard" head tubes that use press-in cups.

This is because on some models the headsets are integrated bearings - the bearing races are a part of the head tube itself - so there are no traditional "cups" to install.

Robert

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The Viscoset will not work on the older hydroformed models or the current V20 - only the older Q's, current Q45, and the S40 as they have "standard" head tubes that use press-in cups.

This is because on some models the headsets are integrated bearings - the bearing races are a part of the head tube itself - so there are no traditional "cups" to install.

Robert
Robert thanks for the reply!!!

billyk

Guru
The Viscoset will not work on the older hydroformed models or the current V20 - only the older Q's, current Q45, and the S40 as they have "standard" head tubes that use press-in cups. Robert

Thanks for this info.

When you say this will work on "current Q45", does that include all Q45 versions?
(I have the first year Q45)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Is there a viscoset upper headstem that suit a Silvio 30 V2.1?
@super slim The Silvio 2.1 is one of the older hydroformed frames. So according to the above it would not fit.

And according to Robert Holler et al. The s30 is a specific model - the final batch of Silvios that had rigid front and suspended rear.

Slim knows this but in case others read this the “s” models go:

Welded frame, 45 degree seat angle, front headset shock, rear elastomer shock:
Silvio (1.0), Silvio 1.5

Hydroformed, 27 degree seat angle, front headset shock, rear elastomer titanium carbon seat stay
Silvio 2.0, Silvio 2.1

Hydroformed, 33 degree seat angle, front rigid non-suspended, rear elastomer titanium carbon:
s30

Hydroformed, 40 degree seat angle, rigid frame:
S40.1 large capacity fork
S40.2
S40.3 current model: compact fork height and width

super slim

Zen MBB Master
@super slim The Silvio 2.1 is one of the older hydroformed frames. So according to the above it would not fit.

And according to Robert Holler et al. The s30 is a specific model - the final batch of Silvios that had rigid front and suspended rear.

Slim knows this but in case others read this the “s” models go:

Welded frame, 45 degree seat angle, front headset shock, rear elastomer shock:
Silvio (1.0), Silvio 1.5

Hydroformed, 27 degree seat angle, front headset shock, rear elastomer titanium carbon seat stay
Silvio 2.0, Silvio 2.1

Hydroformed, 33 degree seat angle, front rigid non-suspended, rear elastomer titanium carbon:
s30

Hydroformed, 40 degree seat angle, rigid frame:
S40.1 large capacity fork
S40.2
S40.3 current model: compact fork height and width
Mine is definitely a white Silvio V2.1, as front and rear suspension!!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this info.

When you say this will work on "current Q45", does that include all Q45 versions?
(I have the first year Q45)

Yes - It will work on any and all Q45's as they all have a standard headtube.

If your CB has a headset with "regular" cups a Viscoset "might" work. If it has integrated bearings (ALL hydroformed older models pre-S40 and also all older Vendettas and Silvios, S30, V20's old and current) it will not because the headset is integrated - meaning there are no "cups" as the bearing races are a part of the head tube itself.

The S40 and Q45 share a standard headtube where the cups press in.

Now I say "might" above because while the Viscoset can technically fit the headtube of older Quests and Sofriders - the DiaTech headset versions - I caution against it as the stack height is much taller on a Viscoset than a normal headset - and those older bikes did not have much extra steer tube in the fork to slide the riser onto.

And we do not have more of those older forks anymore - and the ones we did have all had pre-cut steer tubes anyway.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes - It will work on any and all Q45's as they all have a standard headtube.

If your CB has a headset with "regular" cups a Viscoset "might" work. If it has integrated bearings (ALL hydroformed older models pre-S40 and also all older Vendettas and Silvios, S30, V20's old and current) it will not because the headset is integrated - meaning there are no "cups" as the bearing races are a part of the head tube itself.

The S40 and Q45 share a standard headtube where the cups press in.

Now I say "might" above because while the Viscoset can technically fit the headtube of older Quests and Sofriders - the DiaTech headset versions - I caution against it as the stack height is much taller on a Viscoset than a normal headset - and those older bikes did not have much extra steer tube in the fork to slide the riser onto.

And we do not have more of those older forks anymore - and the ones we did have all had pre-cut steer tubes anyway.
what is the stack height?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
what is the stack height?

Per Velo Orange:
"Stack height is the total height, or thickness, of the headset, not including the parts that fit into the head tube. In other words, it's the vertical distance required to fit the headset. Stack height is important because if it's greater than the available space on the fork the headset will not fit."