Riding in the rain

Opik

I've had rode several times in the rain. I find riding a recumbent is nastier because all your body gets soaked/shot by rain compared when I ride my upright bike, and it's more uncomfortable.

Is there any tips or canopy/fairing that I could add so riding in the rain isn't a hassle.

Sydney is wet right now so I've gone with my Omega more.

I wish I had the answer. On the first day of last year’s N.C. Mountains-to-Coast ride we had all day rain, often very heavy. I found the Velcro-attached brim kept the rain off my eyes, but I still got a lot of water coming inside my jacket, running down my back and collecting in the elbow area. Maybe a jacket with a hood would help.7EBAB810-1774-4935-97A5-203A80DF553D.jpeg

RAR

I've had rode several times in the rain. I find riding a recumbent is nastier because all your body gets soaked/shot by rain compared when I ride my upright bike, and it's more uncomfortable.

Is there any tips or canopy/fairing that I could add so riding in the rain isn't a hassle.

Sydney is wet right now so I've gone with my Omega more.
For me the answer has always been fenders...the longer the better, with mud flaps front and rear. That is for the bike part. For the body part. I put on a bright yellow waterproof helmet cover, long sleeve wool jersey, and wool leggings,...unless it's really hot and then I just enjoy the refreshment!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
A big YES to mudguards. Although they don't fit on some bikes. My custom ones on my Silvio were a lot of hard work, but worth it.

But riding a 'bent in the rain is not a nice experience. Stings your face badly. I got caught in a hailstorm on my Silvio. Had to slow down to 5mph. Almost blinded me.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
It took me a long time to learn/accept riding recumbents in the rain even with mudguards.

I find temperature to be a huge factor. 40F in a downpour on an upright is very manageable for me but can be serious on a bent (hypothermia).

I make sure I have much more clothing. Waterproof wool socks, booties, wool knickers, wool tights, wool on top, face mask or gator, goretex jacket, wool balaclava, rain pants (rarely use but just in case), a variety of gloves. I only use the waterproof socks if cold and rainy. If just rainy, I use thick wool socks just above the ankle.

The seat can accumulate water. A strategically drilled hole helps. (who wants to sit in a puddle)

Face and head was the hardest for me. I have three ways to cover the vent holes on the helmet. I don't use a brim. I use a helmet with visor and a pair of clear cycling glasses under them, which works generally. On a 600k this weekend, it rained a lot and hard from 4 am til around 9 am. Kinda dorky but I tape the top of the visor to keep sun out of my eyes.

Following uprights w/o fenders is a nonstarter in the rain for me.

There is something special about a truck passing at 70 mph and the splash that would normally hit you midthigh on an upright. Gets me right in the face. But......not in my eyes.

billyk

Guru
As a year round commuter in rainy Seattle, I couldn't make it without a fairing. The ability to mount a fairing is how I got into recumbents in the first place, and I've built several for my various ones over the past couple decades.

Feet are dry. Hands are dry. It's way warmer behind that windblock. In a pouring rain I'll get wet, but in our typical Seattle drizzle and my 30 minute commute it can't be beat. Drivetrain is drier and cleaner, too.

Here's a detailed post showing how to build a fairing for a Q2. They're not too hard to build, and are considerably lighter than the store bought. Much cheaper, too. Mine have been tested in 1000s of miles of wind and rain, even survived a few crashes.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/new-homemade-fairing-for-quest.6959/

I made a new and improved one for my Q45, but haven't gotten around to posting pics of it. There's a photo of the new one near the bottom of the thread:

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/seabum-2018.12579/

Opik

As a year round commuter in rainy Seattle, I couldn't make it without a fairing. The ability to mount a fairing is how I got into recumbents in the first place, and I've built several for my various ones over the past couple decades.

Feet are dry. Hands are dry. It's way warmer behind that windblock. In a pouring rain I'll get wet, but in our typical Seattle drizzle and my 30 minute commute it can't be beat. Drivetrain is drier and cleaner, too.

Here's a detailed post showing how to build a fairing for a Q2. They're not too hard to build, and are considerably lighter than the store bought. Much cheaper, too. Mine have been tested in 1000s of miles of wind and rain, even survived a few crashes.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/new-homemade-fairing-for-quest.6959/

I made a new and improved one for my Q45, but haven't gotten around to posting pics of it. There's a photo of the new one near the bottom of the thread:

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/seabum-2018.12579/
Where are the pics? they seem gone
I'm jealous of guys who has tools to make things

Same as ed72, I dislike getting water bullets on my face. Being drenched is fine as you can change clothes and just use special clothes for rides. Wind can be minimized by jackets, but the water bullets not only hurt, it disturbs my vision

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I should have written that I experimented with face shields of various sort (motor cycle, OSHA chemical types, etc.) but they all fogged up. The tight clear glasses underneath was a compromise.

Sleet and hail are the worst on a bent.

Sun is also more problematic due to the angle of the body of the bent. My lower lip is currently scorched....forgetted me my lip sunscreen. Arm sleeves work well but I just let my legs go for the Vitamin D.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Sleet! I had forgotten that horrible experience. My face was frozen stiff. And sun. I sometimes have to ride for miles with my hand in front of my face. And at night the oncoming headlights are blinding. In the UK almost everybody seems to drive with their full beams and foglights on.

The way we are moaning, you would think it was an advert for DF.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Sydney hey. Join nsw recumbent riders Facebook. They have regular meetups.

Plus one on 4” da brim. Velcro attachment allows strategic angling keeps rain off face. Though at speed plus 50 klm/hr you must have angle ideal lest it fly away or block your view. Use it all time on audax.

Otherwise it’s just unpleasant in prolonged rain. Chafing is guaranteed.

So due to superior speeds it’s smart to park in a bus shelter. Plus one on uv leggings and arms and fenders where possible .

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I should have written that I experimented with face shields of various sort (motor cycle, OSHA chemical types, etc.) but they all fogged up. The tight clear glasses underneath was a compromise.

Sleet and hail are the worst on a bent.

Sun is also more problematic due to the angle of the body of the bent. My lower lip is currently scorched....forgetted me my lip sunscreen. Arm sleeves work well but I just let my legs go for the Vitamin D.

When I switched from DF to bent my face took the worst of it. Sun just too much and most sunblock products only last 90 minutes. Best solution has been a light weight, nylon, large billed fishing cap. Big, stiff front bill that protects most of the face and stays in place, held firmly by the helmet. The nylon cap portion serves as a sweat wick. Keeping the bill angle just right makes a huge aero difference.

Tortue

Version 3.jpg I just noticed this thread this morning. Been tinkering a bit with a 3d printer and my sewing machine. I started a thread in the Innovators Workshop, but it seemed like there was little interest in the project, so I quit updating it.

I've been commuting in Seattle year round on DF's (with and without e-drives) for decades, with proper rain gear and stayed pretty dry. After a neck injury and surgery, I bought a T50 to take the pressure off my neck. I also added a Grin Tech All Axle motor/Phaserunner/CA3 kit. Sweet setup.

It's great, but man, it's bath time in the rain. I gave up winter commuting on it and started driving again.

I've been working on this project for a month or so, and I'm now on my 3rd iteration of the project and feel pretty confident that it'll hold up to the wear and tear of daily rain commuting.

As for staying dry, after approx 40 miles of rain testing, other than wind driven spray through the view slot (15-20mph ebike speeds), I wear my street clothes and a cycling jacket. In one nasty downpour, I donned a poncho and clipped the front of the poncho to the aft edge of the fairing (loosely to allow for steering) and was warm and dry for the 10 mile trip. When the rain stops, I unclip the canopy's leading edge and slide it back, convertible style.

By adjusting the canopy leading edge up and down, the view "slot" can be narrowed to keep out the rain. But after 20mph or so there's a tendency for the water to push up the fairing and spray my face with every bump. I'm working on a deflector, and toying with a flip up/down windscreen for complete coverage.

Removing the setup takes a minute or so and it stores flat. Assembly is about two minutes. The "hard points" remain on the bike. One behind the seat, two on the bar ends and one bolted to the headlight bracket up forward. Adapting to different rider heights/lengths could accomplished by using longer/shorter rod lengths at the hard points. The view slot uses a pair of sliding hooks that hold the leading edge of the canopy in various positions with parachute cord, allowing for steering, and can be adjusted on the fly.

After some aero testing using my CA3 (watt hours/distance), with various combinations of fairing and canopy, I found that the fairing adds approx 2/10th of a watt hour over a 1/2 mile course. The canopy, in it's up/rain position, adds approx 1/3 watt hour. No discernible difference in the down/convertible position.
I measured upwind and downwind 4 times in each configuration and averaged the numbers. No huge losses, but long distances will need to be calculated to leave battery wiggle room. I now have a stiffer/flatter canopy design that I need to test. More later...

I used various lengths of 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" fiberglass rod, 2 yds - Silnylon fabric, 30'ish - nylon 1" grosgrain, 3 yds - 1/8" parachute cord, 2'-3/16" shock cord, zip ties, 5@6mm stainless bolts/nylocks and various 3d printed PETG parts. Approx $40.

More than happy to share my .stl files. Stay Dry!

billyk

Guru
0E7CA4E3-7ADA-45FC-9FE5-B81D2FC1067C.jpeg
I've been commuting in Seattle year round ... for decades

Hi @Tortue . I also fit the above description. And, sounds like similarly, enjoy tinkering with bikes about as much as riding them. (See my post above for info on some of the fairings I've built).

We should meet. Show off our fairings and talk shop.

I live in Ravenna. How about you? (None of your nice pics tell me what neighborhood). I'm working at home these days but consider the hour/day I used to spend commuting to still be mine for riding. I could ride over your way some day.

Send me a PM and we'll arrange something.

Here's a photo of CB riders in Magnusson park on a group ride. I'm wearing my latest fairing.

Billy K

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
version-3-jpg.9667
I just noticed this thread this morning. Been tinkering a bit with a 3d printer and my sewing machine. I started a thread in the Innovators Workshop, but it seemed like there was little interest in the project, so I quit updating it.

I've been commuting in Seattle year round on DF's (with and without e-drives) for decades, with proper rain gear and stayed pretty dry. After a neck injury and surgery, I bought a T50 to take the pressure off my neck. I also added a Grin Tech All Axle motor/Phaserunner/CA3 kit. Sweet setup.

It's great, but man, it's bath time in the rain. I gave up winter commuting on it and started driving again.

I've been working on this project for a month or so, and I'm now on my 3rd iteration of the project and feel pretty confident that it'll hold up to the wear and tear of daily rain commuting.

As for staying dry, after approx 40 miles of rain testing, other than wind driven spray through the view slot (15-20mph ebike speeds), I wear my street clothes and a cycling jacket. In one nasty downpour, I donned a poncho and clipped the front of the poncho to the aft edge of the fairing (loosely to allow for steering) and was warm and dry for the 10 mile trip. When the rain stops, I unclip the canopy's leading edge and slide it back, convertible style.

By adjusting the canopy leading edge up and down, the view "slot" can be narrowed to keep out the rain. But after 20mph or so there's a tendency for the water to push up the fairing and spray my face with every bump. I'm working on a deflector, and toying with a flip up/down windscreen for complete coverage.

Removing the setup takes a minute or so and it stores flat. Assembly is about two minutes. The "hard points" remain on the bike. One behind the seat, two on the bar ends and one bolted to the headlight bracket up forward. Adapting to different rider heights/lengths could accomplished by using longer/shorter rod lengths at the hard points. The view slot uses a pair of sliding hooks that hold the leading edge of the canopy in various positions with parachute cord, allowing for steering, and can be adjusted on the fly.

After some aero testing using my CA3 (watt hours/distance), with various combinations of fairing and canopy, I found that the fairing adds approx 2/10th of a watt hour over a 1/2 mile course. The canopy, in it's up/rain position, adds approx 1/3 watt hour. No discernible difference in the down/convertible position.
I measured upwind and downwind 4 times in each configuration and averaged the numbers. No huge losses, but long distances will need to be calculated to leave battery wiggle room. I now have a stiffer/flatter canopy design that I need to test. More later...

I used various lengths of 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" fiberglass rod, 2 yds - Silnylon fabric, 30'ish - nylon 1" grosgrain, 3 yds - 1/8" parachute cord, 2'-3/16" shock cord, zip ties, 5@6mm stainless bolts/nylocks and various 3d printed PETG parts. Approx $40.

More than happy to share my .stl files. Stay Dry!
Wow - that is incredible! - I would be afraid to ride it if it was going to be windy! Might take off and fly (somewhere you don't want to go)! :)

Tortue

Ha!

Love the kite reference!

Had a few folks ask me if it was a sail. You betcha I say, as I silently motor off to their oohs and ahhs...

Unless I'm missing something, the wind is predominately horizontal, as is the side profile of the fairing and canopy.

Test rides are always available on windy days, but only if your name is Dorothy.;)

Dryest Cruzbiker anywhere, (neener, neener):D:D:D

Tortue