Robert's V20 build

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 13.51.31.png
ReklinedRider, or anyone else with knowledge and experience,
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a V20 with Tiagra mechanical disc brakes and want to invert the bar, put Shimano bar end shifters, and have access to a set of new Shimano BL-R400 brake levers. First, are those levers compatible? Second, would installation be about as easy as installing clincher brakes?

FWIW, I am not sure if those levers are difficult to find but I have access to 2 sets of those levers at a local bike shop and both sets are new, with black hoods if anyone else is interested. They are listed at $30 per set if anyone needs the other set.

Forgive my ignorance as I currently have Campagnolo clinchers on my DF TT bike and making a pretty big jump to the recumbent world.

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 10038
ReklinedRider, or anyone else with knowledge and experience,
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a V20 with Tiagra mechanical disc brakes and want to invert the bar, put Shimano bar end shifters, and have access to a set of new Shimano BL-R400 brake levers. First, are those levers compatible? Second, would installation be about as easy as installing clincher brakes?

FWIW, I am not sure if those levers are difficult to find but I have access to 2 sets of those levers at a local bike shop and both sets are new, with black hoods if anyone else is interested. They are listed at $30 per set if anyone needs the other set.

Forgive my ignorance as I currently have Campagnolo clinchers on my DF TT bike and making a pretty big jump to the recumbent world.

Hello Frito Bandito,

Those levers will work with TRP disc brakes; I installed TRP on the front of a Sofrider and used those exact Shimano levers and they worked well. Since Tektro is the parent company of TRP, I'm not sure if those levers will work with Tiagra but I don't see why not. Maybe someone on the forum with experience with Shimano disc brakes can chime in.

As for difficulty of installation, I find disc brakes a bit more difficult than rim brakes but not overly so. It's pretty easy to adjust the brake pads on the TRP's; I've never used any of Shimano's disc brakes so not sure how difficult they are. FWIW, the TRP's come stock on the S40. I have those on my gravel bike too (TRP Spyre) and like them a lot.

(The rear brake on a Sofrider at that time was limited to rim brakes; I used a v-brake made by Paul's and used the same Shimano BL-R400 levers with it too.)

And yes, the BL-R400's keep getting harder to find. No idea why, they're great brake levers.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Hello Frito Bandito,

Those levers will work with TRP disc brakes; I installed TRP on the front of a Sofrider and used those exact Shimano levers and they worked well. Since Tektro is the parent company of TRP, I'm not sure if those levers will work with Tiagra but I don't see why not. Maybe someone on the forum with experience with Shimano disc brakes can chime in.

As for difficulty of installation, I find disc brakes a bit more difficult than rim brakes but not overly so. It's pretty easy to adjust the brake pads on the TRP's; I've never used any of Shimano's disc brakes so not sure how difficult they are. FWIW, the TRP's come stock on the S40. I have those on my gravel bike too (TRP Spyre) and like them a lot.

(The rear brake on a Sofrider at that time was limited to rim brakes; I used a v-brake made by Paul's and used the same Shimano BL-R400 levers with it too.)

And yes, the BL-R400's keep getting harder to find. No idea why, they're great brake levers.
Thank you ReklinedRider. They are some really sleek looking levers and they probably work as well as they look so I can imagine they are a pretty hot item.
I love tweaking around with stuff like this and it's good to hear that they will likely work if I go that route. Tiagra works, and will get me rolling, but I've already got at least Ultegra on my mind, and probably Di2. DI2 Remote Satellite Shifters with the BL-R400's would be great unless I can find some dual control TT brake levers that work with mechanical disc brakes. Decisions decisions. I really like how you guys cleaned up the bars and am going for the same.

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thank you ReklinedRider. They are some really sleek looking levers and they probably work as well as they look so I can imagine they are a pretty hot item.
I love tweaking around with stuff like this and it's good to hear that they will likely work if I go that route. Tiagra works, and will get me rolling, but I've already got at least Ultegra on my mind, and probably Di2. DI2 Remote Satellite Shifters with the BL-R400's would be great unless I can find some dual control TT brake levers that work with mechanical disc brakes. Decisions decisions. I really like how you guys cleaned up the bars and am going for the same.

Looking forward to some photos of your V20!

Bill Wightman

The S40 is the best ride for traffic. The V is a race bike IMHO
Especially if you trick out the V20 with slightly flatter seat position and lower headrest. My head and torso pops up and down like a turtle on the V20 automatically for safety. That would not be needed on an S40. The S40 looks like a fun bike for aerobic exercise, chilling, and commuting while still making good mileage per watt. Speaking of watts, at the end of my leisurely 6-hr Bessie's Creek TT I rode next to an upright rider at a slow pace into the wind for our last prorated leg. I asked her what her power was for the last couple miles and she said right at 100 watts. Moving at her speed but not drafting my power was 55 watts. Slower than a normal pace, but a significant difference I thought. Its not that good of a ratio at the normal paces.