S30 - Would you buy one if Cruzbike could do a limited run of s30 in 2021?

S30 - Would you buy one if Cruzbike could do a limited run of s30 in 2021?

• Total voters

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Which country did you have SOB's in? France?
View attachment 11418

LOL, My home State of Atlanta , Georgia. And I'll repeat for clarity, shipping the S-40 in a tight case such as the one I provided works great if you control access to the case. I do not recommend shipping this way if you have to pass through TSA. Just some friendly advice.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I will not dispute that the Silvo line has evolved and the latest iteration, the S40, is the most up to date regarding bicycle component standards and overall construction. Point conceded. However, I don't think that's altogether relevant with respect to the desire expressed for the S30.

By way of example, diamond frame bicycles have for the most part moved away from metal frames to carbon fiber frames. Arguably, this is a technological advancement. The marketing folks have made certain that carbon fiber is synonymous with "superior" and therefore all other materials are perceived as inferior. This makes a carbon fiber bike frame more desirable to consumers.

Yet, there are bike companies that have decided to produce "retro" frames and bikes today alongside their carbon offerings. For example, the Willier Superleggera is a brand new lugged steel frame and is Willier's tribute to their past. There must have been some indication that there would be a market for a lugged steel framed bike. Of course, there are people who appreciate what this kind of bike has to offer. It's not just one thing, but the formula, the full package offers something that isn't found on modern carbon bicycles.

I believe it's that formula yielding a certain quality which people admire about the S30. It's more compliant than a V20. It's more racy than an S40. There's something distinctive about it that has a "just rightness" for some people.

So while the S40 has appeared to hit the demographic sweet spot for an all-round road bike in the Cruzbike lineup, and has become a best seller, there's still that gap. If the S30 had never existed, maybe we would never have known the gap was there. But did exist, and it has left an indelible impression on a lot of people. It's kind of like that lugged steel frame. Modern carbon bikes represent the technological pinnacle of bike design and performance, but there's still a soft spot for the qualities of that old classic. This is my argument for the S30.
I agree. Each model does its raison d’être exceptionally well. The s40 does s40 things (eg. touring racks) better than the s30, the Q45 does Q things (adjustable seat, price point, large tires) better, etc.

What the s30 has that is both sought after and its reason to be replaced with the 40 are short wheelbase (more nimble, smaller turning radius but less long straight stability ie. touring), packability (travel but design is more complicated and possibly owned by other company), seat angle between V and s40 (33 degree seat angle may be sweet spot for some riders but is too close to v20 so competing for same clientele and too laid back for many commuters/tourers’ visibility). It also has an air of perfected aesthetic based on function with no holds barred.

The s30 does that balancing act between the Q, s40, and V models and looks good doing it. But a company the size of Cruzbike does really well to make four lines of bikes that all target specific customers perfectly. Once the s40 came into view it couldn’t make sense to hold onto an extra model for the sake of a few sales and take away from the sales of the other models.

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
The s30 does that balancing act between the Q, s40, and V models and looks good doing it. But a company the size of Cruzbike does really well to make four lines of bikes that all target specific customers perfectly. Once the s40 came into view it couldn’t make sense to hold onto an extra model for the sake of a few sales and take away from the sales of the other models.

I agree with this, but CB wouldn't be so much keeping the S30 in the lineup, but rather offering a small batch--say, 50 framesets--at a higher price (the retro/nostalgia/niche premium). Once they're gone, they're gone, and this "what-if" production itch will have been scratched. The current four-bike line continues, while those fortunate few with the $$$ to pay for an S30 can roll out on the CB Goldilocks Machine.

For me, the redundancy wasn't so much between my V20 and S30, but my S30 and S40 (yes, it certainly wouldn't make sense for CB to keep both bikes in stock). I knew I wanted to sell one of them, and once I realized that the S30 will take a rear rack, it was a pretty easy choice.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I will not dispute that the Silvo line has evolved and the latest iteration, the S40, is the most up to date regarding bicycle component standards and overall construction. Point conceded. However, I don't think that's altogether relevant with respect to the desire expressed for the S30.

By way of example, diamond frame bicycles have for the most part moved away from metal frames to carbon fiber frames. Arguably, this is a technological advancement. The marketing folks have made certain that carbon fiber is synonymous with "superior" and therefore all other materials are perceived as inferior. This makes a carbon fiber bike frame more desirable to consumers.

Yet, there are bike companies that have decided to produce "retro" frames and bikes today alongside their carbon offerings. For example, the Willier Superleggera is a brand new lugged steel frame and is Willier's tribute to their past. There must have been some indication that there would be a market for a lugged steel framed bike. Of course, there are people who appreciate what this kind of bike has to offer. It's not just one thing, but the formula, the full package offers something that isn't found on modern carbon bicycles.

I believe it's that formula yielding a certain quality which people admire about the S30. It's more compliant than a V20. It's more racy than an S40. There's something distinctive about it that has a "just rightness" for some people.

So while the S40 has appeared to hit the demographic sweet spot for an all-round road bike in the Cruzbike lineup, and has become a best seller, there's still that gap. If the S30 had never existed, maybe we would never have known the gap was there. But did exist, and it has left an indelible impression on a lot of people. It's kind of like that lugged steel frame. Modern carbon bikes represent the technological pinnacle of bike design and performance, but there's still a soft spot for the qualities of that old classic. This is my argument for the S30.

And a very valid argument it is. It is why I have a soft spot for my V2 even though the v20 is a much better bike .

The s30 was a great beautiful bike. and I agree for some it was perfect and as time goes on it’s classic status is more revered.

That understandable sentiment and attachment is worthy of such an ongoing class product.

As we agree the relevance of the s40 is in the development from the s30 with the s40 improved sales compared to the s30 . Which indicate the development is a success and was very necessary.

That takes nothing away from the s30 and the owners who love them. Those few lucky 100. But it won’t be coming back. As I said if any company would bring it back it would be cruzbike.

But 100 s30 sales is not exactly s40 sell out sales.

Sorry. I don’t mean to be a negative I dislike that.

I’m going to polish my big boom now. ;)

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
And a very valid argument it is. It is why I have a soft spot for my V2 even though the v20 is a much better bike .

>snip<
I’m going to polish my big boom now. ;)
Dang. Now I gotta go polish MY big boom.

Sorry.

"Would I buy an s30?"
No.
I'd build a super V12 out of bamboo first. The V12 might be faster than my hot-rod Sofrider:
It'd for SURE be way cheaper than a brand-new, expensive, and slow s30!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Dang. Now I gotta go polish MY big boom.

Sorry.

"Would I buy an s30?"
No.
I'd build a super V12 out of bamboo first. The V12 might be faster than my hot-rod Sofrider:
It'd for SURE be way cheaper than a brand-new, expensive, and slow s30!

of course the issue with a bamboo frame is if it rains it takes root and frame size grows ;)

seriously they are works of art including some of their artisan riders.

the people who make or modify their own are cutting edge special. Take that as a compliment .

probably should start a big boom polisher results thread page....;)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
At this point a suspension doesn't do it for me. Other than short stretches of less than 300m the roads and paths I ride on are very smooth so my V20 eats everything up just fine. The 30* seat angle could be the Goldilocks though. I've never been a fan of white bikes since I am meticulous about keeping paint as perfect as possible and white shows dirt or chips like no other. But that black/white color combo is really nice. The limited numbers of it make it an attractive bike as well. For me, that makes it a more attractive buy than the suspension hahaha. I'd probably be too nervous about damaging it so I'd probably not buy one. The packability makes it a bit nicer, but if I am going to be shipping a bike internationally for a race, I can ge

The Brook

No I couldn’t even though I’d love to as my sweetheart would send me off to the opera. As castrati

I think the mix now of available bikes is balanced and pretty perfect. Thank you cruzbike.

real delineated lines. Offering variety.

the s30 is in its own right a beautiful machine but it’s too close to the vendetta in my opinion in terms of recline. Recline can be a deal breaker below 35 degrees or so. Neckrest time......

The silvio line has been the bike most upgraded to be simpler. Now with real tyre choice now in place of suspenders. For its chosen market it simply works.

32mm road tyres at 50 psi are very very comfy.

the s40 is cruzbikes best seller so there is that.

I would prefer an s40 over the s30 for its lighter weight ,simplicity and real versatility from packing a load to a bunch ride.

yeah recumbutt is a deal but it can be overcome.

I had the recumbutt problem on my Freerider, I installed an 11x12" Gel seat cover on top of the regular seat pad, it resolved the issue at the expense of about 1 lb. But on a bike that already weighed over 40 lbs. not a big deal.
Only problem is, that after 13 years, it has worn out, and needs replacing, but I'm having trouble finding one that fits like the old one did, the front of most covers is too narrow to fit properly over the original seat pad. Trying to find the same seat cover like the one I have.

Denis

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If I really wanted an S30... then I would just change my carbon seat to a Thor.

My Vendetta is perfect. Fewer watts for more speed just blows up DFs time and time again. You should see the sweat rolling off their faces as they try to draft.

S40 V20 and eT50 takes the badges

jond

Zen MBB Master
I've had this bike a year this month so I haven't been able to acclimate to it. I agree about the recline part but S40 is 40 degrees & that's the way it is. I enjoy riding the bike as much as do the S2. Just wish I wasn't part of the small percent that gets recumbutt from a more up right position. And again the double up on my cushion has helped tremendously but rather not have it that thick.

what material did you add robert. Maybe try ac10.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I can ge.............what @Frito Bandito

I can get. Too slow. ;)

I have been called slow before. And it wasn't by people in lycra and alien looking helmets. Usually suits.

The Golfing gods called and I had to leave quickly, that is probably why. Or, I am just an idiot who can't finish a sente....

.... So I can get it done without much more cost. Still have to disassemble either and stick 'em in a box and getting the bike on the way is just something that needs to be done regardless of the increased price. IOW, I would love to save money on shipping, but it wouldn't prevent me from doing an event I really wanted to do.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i just rode a s40 for the first time. it was the last version before this new version. it was quite different than all my others. i liked it (and offered the guy market price for it, but i could not help wondering about how much i would have to do to it to make it what i was really after. i can certainly see how it is preferred over a std v20, and how it would be preferred over older cb and the t. but i can also see how the s30 could be compared and preferred. remember due to my bad stomach valve, i run a wedge on my stock seat on my v20 that makes it more a like a 30.
the two things i noticed the most besides the seat angle were the higher center of gravity over a v20 and the slightly more cramped cockpit (due to seat angle)
i have casey's (ex rudy) s40 sitting in my shop, perhaps i will put it together and start doing ride comparisons. i also need to mount my thor seat on the v and see if i can finish my 3 position bracket. if that braket works, i will have a v20/30/40.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
i just rode a s40 for the first time. it was the last version before this new version. it was quite different than all my others. i liked it (and offered the guy market price for it, but i could not help wondering about how much i would have to do to it to make it what i was really after. i can certainly see how it is preferred over a std v20, and how it would be preferred over older cb and the t. but i can also see how the s30 could be compared and preferred. remember due to my bad stomach valve, i run a wedge on my stock seat on my v20 that makes it more a like a 30.
the two things i noticed the most besides the seat angle were the higher center of gravity over a v20 and the slightly more cramped cockpit (due to seat angle)
i have casey's (ex rudy) s40 sitting in my shop, perhaps i will put it together and start doing ride comparisons. i also need to mount my thor seat on the v and see if i can finish my 3 position bracket. if that braket works, i will have a v20/30/40.
I think the three position bracket, with fine adjustment, is the best idea!!!