S40-conversion to 2x

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I did the opposite of this. I have 12sp derailleur and 10sp shifter. I use a Jtek Shiftmate. They make lots of different ones for specific combinations of gears.

Randyc3

We decided to pass on solutions using Jtek Shiftmate for now. So, unfortunately I cannot shift to the 42 right now. The solution is to machine the derailleur hanger by 3mm. This will move the rear derailleur in. Hoping to have this done in the next 2 weeks. There is some interference with FD Force 22 set on the 52 and 36 cassette. I consider this a “shift silly, no cross chaining allowed” alert. Read reports of the Force22 having issues with a round 53 chain ring so I am not surprised. A 52 QXL equals about 55-56. Have not ridden the bike yet, but on the stand shifting is good…..possibly better than my Roubaix so I’m happy.
cplm123, how is the V20 build going?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
cplm123, how is the V20 build going?
I have been coughing and congested for 2 weeks, not covid, thank goodness, so I haven't done much. I did put it back on the trainer with the seat on. I need to make a neckrest plate that fits me before I can start riding it on the trainer to get dialed in. I may need to redo some cables because I moved the handlebar. Work in progress for the next 6 months of rainy season. :)
20211024_000551.jpg

Randyc3

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. Hopefully it is towards the end. Very cool picture!
Get well soon!

Randyc3

Hi,
Just an update. Still working on my conversion. Encountered a rear derailleur alignment issue(needs to move .12" inboard). Waiting for my 2nd 3d printed part I'll be using for fit-up and shifting verification. Leaning toward stainless steel for the final hanger material. Version 1 of the hanger is shown installed. Bit flexy since it is nylon12 material, but good for the demo.

Attachments

• version2-1.JPG
    version2-1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 20
  • version2-2.JPG
    version2-2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 19

Randyc3

Hi,
An update. New stainless steal derailleur hanger works so I can use the entire 11-42 cassette. Yahoo!
Apparently I ordered the wrong XD freebody for the Chosen wheel. So… starting to think about a new wheel. Probably aluminum and kinda partial to a star rachet. Going to pass on the custom Chris King this time to keep the cost reasonable. Would be looking for a lighter, stiff, XD wheel.
What are folks upgrading to for wheels?

Attachments

• 2AAE0A4F-7AAF-43E9-AEEC-93C7EF1C92B9.jpeg
    2AAE0A4F-7AAF-43E9-AEEC-93C7EF1C92B9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

3bs

whereabouts unknown
great work. save that build file, i can see some people wanting you to make some more of those. maybe give/sell to cb.

Randyc3

Hi, another update.
Having problems with chain going back and forth from 36 -32 cog, but it would stay in the 42 cog. Had been ignoring it to this point. Bought a Park Tools DAG 2,2 to see if derailleur hanger alignment could influence it. Started by installing the stock hanger and yes I could get it to work. Its noisy(crunching for chain cog misalignment) in the 17, 19, 22 cogs. Put my custom hanger on and could adjust it to eliminate the back and forth for the 36-42 cog. Less noisy in the mid range, but stiil there. This might be as good as it gets unless there are any other suggestions. Cheers.

Randyc3

Nice setup! I have given some thought to changing to a Rival 22 rear derailleur and a 11-36 cassette. There might be a V20 in my future so trying to limit my changes and upgrades now.
BTW what is your front wheel?
Thanks and cheers.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Reynolds assaults. Older version. I have same on my v20 but different spoke pattern. Hayes owns reynolds now, but these are my favorites.

Here is the setup on my v20 force 22
Wickwerks 53/34, sram 11/36 but i run as 2x10 with a rival brifter. Pro one 28 tires.

Best set up ever. Climbs until wheel slip with 34-36 and great top end with 53-11CD0E53C5-3033-42DF-94FF-460A4C1EC961.jpeg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Randy... just change your brifter and cassette to 10 speed like @3bs and me and done! You already have the GX derailleur that works with 11/40 cassette. :)

Randyc3

Hi, that is a possibiliTy since I have Sram 10 speed shifters on my other bikes. Not totally certain this would address the shifting issue. My theory is there are some small changes with the S40 thru axle fork geometry. The other thing is I really don’t like the wheels. Would love to get my Chris King/Heds on the bike but these are QRs and rim brakes. Already tried the brakes and would need extender brake holders…easy do. The BR8000 are very close to disc brake performance IMHO. Might have access to a non-disc DT Swiss 350. It might be possible to convert the QR to a thru axle with this wheel. So, you both have started me thinking about possibilities.
Thanks again.