S40 Electric Blue Build Specs

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I've been running 2x11 RotorQs/SRAM Rival 11 (11-32 I think) on my V20 for years now. Yah, a little fiddly to get it set up but once set, it just runs and runs.

I just bought a Blue S40 frameset and I'll be xferring the running gear from my V20 to it (and putting the V20 frame in the classifieds). Should be nicely garish: red Deep V rims and hubs, black spokes, blue frame...

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I've been running 2x11 RotorQs/SRAM Rival 11 (11-32 I think) on my V20 for years now. Yah, a little fiddly to get it set up but once set, it just runs and runs.

I just bought a Blue S40 frameset and I'll be xferring the running gear from my V20 to it (and putting the V20 frame in the classifieds). Should be nicely garish: red Deep V rims and hubs, black spokes, blue frame...
Nice!
Iam suprised becuase most V20 owners here rarely give it(V20) up completely in exchange for a S40. They usually end up with both.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Nice!
Iam suprised becuase most V20 owners here rarely give it(V20) up completely in exchange for a S40. They usually end up with both.
Life happens. My long time riding buddy, my elder brother, passed away a year ago. He was a driving influence on my need for speed. He couldn't ride fast...so I did in order for him to live it vicariously. When he passed, I stopped riding for a while...and then we decided to retire early, sell the main home and move into the vacation home. Simply packing and moving and getting rid of extraneous stuff changed the way I really wanted to ride. I got rid of the Catrike and the Optima Baron...I wasn't riding them (not since I discovered Cruzbikes). I love the V20 but it has a few weak-points for me, especially being able to actively monitor traffic. I rode the V20 almost exclusively on the roads less traveled, early mornings and on the military base weekends (little to no traffic). I have never been comfortable with it in traffic, I can't swivel my head to suit me, etc. Basically, I rode the V20 under only controlled conditions...riding my V2/k for everything else. 80/20...and now I have zero confidence in riding the V20 here where it is much less roadbike-friendly (beach cruisers, no problem). I'm not a racer, I'm a neighborhood and occasional Century rider. So, I've been riding my V2/k almost exclusively. It is effectively set up like a S-type. Pleasure to ride, head up...I feel safer, more relaxed.

I have always wanted an S-type since the Silvio came out. The V2/k was my way of getting that on less money...and it has performed yeoman service for years. Still, it has its peculiarities, the front end is untidy (adapter plates, shims, jubilee clamps, etc.), the brakes are functional but I never really liked linear-pull, preferring discs...and it really looks like a homebuilt contraption. I want a bike that is 'sorted'...oh, and a beautiful blue. :cool:

Dave Arnold

Life happens. My long time riding buddy, my elder brother, passed away a year ago. He was a driving influence on my need for speed. He couldn't ride fast...so I did in order for him to live it vicariously. When he passed, I stopped riding for a while...and then we decided to retire early, sell the main home and move into the vacation home. Simply packing and moving and getting rid of extraneous stuff changed the way I really wanted to ride. I got rid of the Catrike and the Optima Baron...I wasn't riding them (not since I discovered Cruzbikes). I love the V20 but it has a few weak-points for me, especially being able to actively monitor traffic. I rode the V20 almost exclusively on the roads less traveled, early mornings and on the military base weekends (little to no traffic). I have never been comfortable with it in traffic, I can't swivel my head to suit me, etc. Basically, I rode the V20 under only controlled conditions...riding my V2/k for everything else. 80/20...and now I have zero confidence in riding the V20 here where it is much less roadbike-friendly (beach cruisers, no problem). I'm not a racer, I'm a neighborhood and occasional Century rider. So, I've been riding my V2/k almost exclusively. It is effectively set up like a S-type. Pleasure to ride, head up...I feel safer, more relaxed.

I have always wanted an S-type since the Silvio came out. The V2/k was my way of getting that on less money...and it has performed yeoman service for years. Still, it has its peculiarities, the front end is untidy (adapter plates, shims, jubilee clamps, etc.), the brakes are functional but I never really liked linear-pull, preferring discs...and it really looks like a homebuilt contraption. I want a bike that is 'sorted'...oh, and a beautiful blue. :cool:

Thanks for sharing Marc. My reasons are similar to yours with the addition of some neck issues.

Dave

Can’t wait to see it.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Basically, I rode the V20 under only controlled conditions...riding my V2/k for everything else. 80/20...and now I have zero confidence in riding the V20 here where it is much less roadbike-friendly (beach cruisers, no problem). I'm not a racer, I'm a neighborhood and occasional Century rider. So, I've been riding my V2/k almost exclusively. It is effectively set up like a S-type. Pleasure to ride, head up...I feel safer, more relaxed.
I now understand. Totally repect your choice. Thank for sharing.

That 40 deg recline is on the ballpark for a good balance between a natural head/shoulder position and speed. Quite rideable in traffic.

And .. those colors and finish .. wow!

Last edited:

Postapocalypsia

My new S40 frameset is still in limbo, waiting for bits to turn up, but here is a list of what I am expecting...

SRAM NX EAGLE
165 NX non boost 38t
11-50 NX eagle
Bottom Bracket non boost
NX eagle 12sp derailleur
Sram 12sp chain
Micro shift 12sp bar end shifters
TRP mechanical disc brakes
29er Alex Evo 2.3 wheel set
Shimano mt-800 rotors
Schwalbe tyres g-one allround 700 x 38

Postapocalypsia

I believe I read it somewhere that Robert said the new S40 cannot take 700x38 tires.
I have the last of the silver coloured framesets which just sold out. I assume that this would be before the front fork tweak, but if anyone has more definitive info I would love to know.
I read somewhere that Jim Parker was running 700x38's on his gravel S40 quite happily.