S40 Versus the new Q

3WHELZ

Guru
I think that I need both! :eek:

I have a classic GT Avalanche LE that has not seen a dirt trail in over a decade plus. It just hangs on a wall stand, since I gave up on DFs. The Q45 looks like an excellent off-road bike. It would be nice to have the option to ride on unpaved routes.

Kenneth

The S40 seems pretty smooth and comfortable to me and has plenty of abiltly to carry cargo for touring/ bike camping. I adjust the seat angle on the fly by sitting up when I feel the need ( comparable to riding standing on a df to me).
The only tempting feature of the Q is the folding frame....but not enough to double dip.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
From putting a zillion miles on both:

The S40 is a serious road tourer. Peel off the miles on the road. Lighter. 700c awesomeness. It can be very fast - and it climbs like a goat. It is a TRUE road bike. A no compromise road machine? S40

The Q45 is the "rough and tumble" cousin. It has the long rear swingarm. 26" for the cush when the road turns to unmaintained forest service road turns to real bumpy stuff. Does the path you chose end up turning into the one less (or never) travelled? Q45

Personally I like the S40, but the fun of the Q45 in its natural habitat cannot be denied. They really are NOT the same bike. When you experience both it becomes pretty clear. (That you need both)

Haha!

Thanks Robert!

That helps me. I have something that can handle packed dirt rail trails, so I have been looking for something quicker on the road and paved trails. The S40 looks like a great road machine with a bit of touring gear on it. I’ll just have to wait until my wife forgets about the last purchase... ;)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Just in from my 4th ride on the new S40 build and only second time venturing out of the parking lot. I'm completely out of shape from 3 months of nether regions numbness causing an extensive search for a bike that would work. Had tested a couple of stick bike bents and was dreading the hills but just finished a short (6mi) hilly loop and my climbing pace was at least as quick as my sleekest DFs when I was in shape! Long way from being comfy at speed but it is coming gradually. Very quick bike on the road.

Kenneth Jessett

Dave, when you are able, can you have a photo taken of you on the S40 with your bags packed for your tour? I'd like to see how the ensemble looks fully loaded.

Thanks. Ken.