Securing Boom Arm to Frame so Twist and Fall Doesn't Happen !

david_kcmo

I know this has been answered before, but what do people use to secure the boom arm/wheel to the frame so it's doesn't twist out when you put the bike against something. If you have an S40, then I know you know what I'm talking about.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the Voile strap?

david_kcmo

Probably the Voile strap?

Thank you! That was it!

billyk

Guru

david_kcmo

It depends on how long it is. The Q45 comes with (or used to) a very long kickstand that mounts to the plate between the rear wheel arms. Then you turn the front towards the other side of the bike, centering the weight. It works well.

Check if CB sells this kickstand. They will have tested it. I could measure mine tomorrow if you want.
Please. I bought the Cruz bike band. Now I’m just looking for the leaning part of the solution.

That looks like it should work okay in conjunction with a wheel strap. As others may point out, the Q45 and T50 may use kickstands. Users turn the front wheel far right (away from the lean.)
I’ve seen the UpStand (similar to the rockbro you shared) used along with a ClickStand. I used an UpStand until mine bent under load.

Edit: I checked on UpStand, it appears they’re going out of business.

Last edited:

billyk

Guru
Please. I bought the Cruz bike band. Now I’m just looking for the leaning part of the solution.
If you're using the band (or some other solution that holds the front wheel straight) then the weight will be far forward. That makes it less likely that a kickstand by the rear wheel will hold it up. For instance, the CB kickstand I mentioned above won't hold my Q45 unless the front wheel is folded.

Consider the situations when you'll need a kickstand. If in the open, fold the front wheel, use the CB or other (long) kickstand, no need for the band.

If using a rack (or post, tree, fence, etc) then use the band, with the rack holding it upright, secured with your lock or chain.

If it's a narrow post, sometimes the front wheel can be folded around the post, then locked. That's very secure.

david_kcmo

Vendetta with UpStand and ClickStand
I was assuming that kickstand will only work with front wheel (the business end)! I was originally looking at 1 solution for everything but you are right. As long as I have something to set bike against then band alone with work.

billyk

Guru
I was assuming that kickstand will only work with front wheel (the business end)! I was originally looking at 1 solution for everything but you are right. As long as I have something to set bike against then band alone with work.
Ok. I missed that part. But for reference, the kickstand that came with my (1st-gen, 2018) Q45 is 16.4 inches long, pivot point to tip.

All that said, the reality of these bikes is that they're not as easy to lock up as a DF. One part of that is that many racks, like the ones you find in front of stores and etc, are made to fit the narrow front wheel of a DF. But if we put our rear wheel in such a rack, the heavy front will flop over. That's where the band will come in handy.

However ... that leaves greasy and pointy chainring sticking out, less friendly to our fellow bikers using the rack. That's one reason I have a chainring guard ring on my bike.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
We are like unto penguins or seals. Have you ever seen the nature programmes about Antarctica on telly, where the aforementioned animals swim under the ice? Graceful, agile, and they look like they really enjoy it. Me on my S40. Look at them when they are out of the water, flopping about. Me trying to get the bloody bike down some stairs.

CCotD

Sorry for the threadnomancy.

I solved the steering issue by getting velcro straps from one of the bike shops I visited while on my current tour. The shop manager said they get them with the bikes that they get from certain manufacturers that stopped using zip ties.

Cost me zero and they work like a champ.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I know this has been answered before, but what do people use to secure the boom arm/wheel to the frame so it's doesn't twist out when you put the bike against something. If you have an S40, then I know you know what I'm talking about.

I use a big rubber-band as an anti-flop device on my S30. It also makes it easy to walk the bike around reasonably.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I also use the Voile strap, but really quite rarely (e.g. when putting the bike on a car or similar, as opposed to moving it around on the ground).

Ninosmits

This is mine solution.
Works great

Attachments

• 2F51C306-21CD-410E-9A12-57C093FC0038.jpeg
    2F51C306-21CD-410E-9A12-57C093FC0038.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 3E863E0F-C877-4BA1-A037-952D59D4D278.jpeg
    3E863E0F-C877-4BA1-A037-952D59D4D278.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 141771D4-F603-47DA-AA5C-359421B9322B.jpeg
    141771D4-F603-47DA-AA5C-359421B9322B.jpeg