Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time

deadbeatdon

I like the rose. Nice touch. Did you build it? The bike not the rose.
I thought I replied to this but must have flaked and forgot to post it. The rose was a parting gift from a retreat that kicked off the tour. I dropped it off at this shrine as it would not have fared well on the road.
The trike was built by Freedom Concepts. Sadly they aren’t around anymore. http://web.archive.org/web/20120401...com/the-sensible-utility-vehicle-aka-the-suv/
The riding is going well. I’ve only hit the ground once and had a great grocery run today. It’s turning into a great pack mule!
https://www.strava.com/activities/3659662311

gc22

So after a single afternoon parking lot practice ride on the T50, I started hitting bike trails and while my skills very slowly improved, I was not enjoying the rides and was waking up sore the next day (upper body).

Found this post, and went back to the parking lot today.

The advice here about figure 8 loops, and the lean to the opposite side of the turn were spot on.

I think I’m just going to stick to the parking lot as my default ride for the foreseeable future. I think it makes sense to allow my body a wider playground to get the feel of the T50. I think we steer upright bikes more with out bodies than we realize, and for some reason on the Cruzbike I default to wanting to control everything with my arms.

One thing I did was to hold the grips with my fingertips, or just loosely “ring” my grip around the grips. So they were there if needed in a balancing emergency, but so I wasn’t relying on them or allowing them to dominate. In essence, I was sort of teaching myself to ride no-handed.

Lots of left- and right-handed circling like this, in addition to the figure-8pm loops, to just let my body get the feel for how to lean and “steer”.

A couple of times I even briefly felt like I got the hang got of it.

But yeah I am setting aside my anxiousness to get on the bike trail, and just allowing myself as long as necessary to practice in the parking lot. I could feel my skills and balance improving significantly today after implementing the advice here. Thank you.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So after a single afternoon parking lot practice ride on the T50, I started hitting bike trails and while my skills very slowly improved, I was not enjoying the rides and was waking up sore the next day (upper body).

Found this post, and went back to the parking lot today.

The advice here about figure 8 loops, and the lean to the opposite side of the turn were spot on.

I think I’m just going to stick to the parking lot as my default ride for the foreseeable future. I think it makes sense to allow my body a wider playground to get the feel of the T50. I think we steer upright bikes more with out bodies than we realize, and for some reason on the Cruzbike I default to wanting to control everything with my arms.

One thing I did was to hold the grips with my fingertips, or just loosely “ring” my grip around the grips. So they were there if needed in a balancing emergency, but so I wasn’t relying on them or allowing them to dominate. In essence, I was sort of teaching myself to ride no-handed.

Lots of left- and right-handed circling like this, in addition to the figure-8pm loops, to just let my body get the feel for how to lean and “steer”.

A couple of times I even briefly felt like I got the hang got of it.

But yeah I am setting aside my anxiousness to get on the bike trail, and just allowing myself as long as necessary to practice in the parking lot. I could feel my skills and balance improving significantly today after implementing the advice here. Thank you.
There you go. Good observations. Before you know it you will be proselytizing and teaching others about the merits and how to’s of Cruzbiking.

David 19

This is my first post. I'm trying to learn to ride the Q45 I just purchased.

My figure 8's are just fine, I think. My biggest problem is that I cannot ride in a straight line. The bike instead weaves a foot to the right, a foot to the left, a foot to the right, etc. Going uphill is worse--the steeper the hill, the less confident I am that I can keep from weaving across the lane. (And the gearing doesn't seem nearly low enough for the steep hills in my neighborhood (and elsewhere in Seattle).)

I'd be grateful for pointers on how to ride straight. (I've read here that replacing the platform pedals with my clip-ins could help, but I'm not confident enough yet to give up the platforms.)

jond

Zen MBB Master

My figure 8's are just fine, I think. My biggest problem is that I cannot ride in a straight line. The bike instead weaves a foot to the right, a foot to the left, a foot to the right, etc. Going uphill is worse--the steeper the hill, the less confident I am that I can keep from weaving across the lane. (And the gearing doesn't seem nearly low enough for the steep hills in my neighborhood (and elsewhere in Seattle).)

I'd be grateful for pointers on how to ride straight. (I've read here that replacing the platform pedals with my clip-ins could help, but I'm not confident enough yet to give up the platforms.)

practice and time. Rewatch videos. Open palms. Push handlebar. So much info on how to ride here .

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I definitely do not recommend riding uphill in the first few rides. Flat trail is the best for practicing. I don't think I dared riding uphill until 2-3 months later. :)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@David 19 Soon you will be asking the same question about riding uphill no hands.

Realistically, some have their brains, legs and pedal stroke adjust easily and some it takes more time but we all get to the point that we are not thinking about it.

The drills help to speed the process. Higher cadence (and therefore less force per stroke) helps smooth things out.

+1 many good tips on this and other threads. Feel free to ask any questions too.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Thanks to you all.

I will try to be patient with myself.

David
These may not help. A few memories of my first rides. I had to stop micro managing my steering,
relax, shoulders back , chin up, look farther up the trail, I even pointed my index fingers to show me I going the right way. Kids just "go there" no mater how wobbly and smooth out later. Adults worry and tense up.
being unable to see the front wheel , I sometimes use my outside foot as a guide, mentally stepping near or even on the edge of the path.
Enjoy,,, soon these days will only be memories .

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Try to keep a relaxed grip. Eventually, your feet will offer steering inputs rather than being something that you feel that you need to fight against.

David 19

I have been relaxing my grip, and I think it is helping my steering. Slow progress is still progress.

I have another question: is the Q45 a slow bike? Sunday afternoon I rode 25 miles with my wife, who was on her upright bike. When I'm on my upright bike, I have to slow down for her. Sunday, she had to slow down for me. Nearly every other rider going our direction (and there were many, all on upright bikes) passed us.

I assume that as my technique improves, I'll go faster at the same level of exertion. But I'd have to go a lot faster, I think, to match my normal speed on an upright bike.

I understand that the V20 is super-fast, and I think I've heard that the S40 is also rather fast. Does the description of the Q45 as an adventure bike mean speed was sacrificed in its design?

jond

Zen MBB Master
I have been relaxing my grip, and I think it is helping my steering. Slow progress is still progress.

I have another question: is the Q45 a slow bike? Sunday afternoon I rode 25 miles with my wife, who was on her upright bike. When I'm on my upright bike, I have to slow down for her. Sunday, she had to slow down for me. Nearly every other rider going our direction (and there were many, all on upright bikes) passed us.

I assume that as my technique improves, I'll go faster at the same level of exertion. But I'd have to go a lot faster, I think, to match my normal speed on an upright bike.

I understand that the V20 is super-fast, and I think I've heard that the S40 is also rather fast. Does the description of the Q45 as an adventure bike mean speed was sacrificed in its design?

is any suspended adventure bike fast. Probably not.

Technique recumbent fitness tyre selection seat layback and terrain selection. You will get faster. As fast as your own roadbike..... maybe not. But it’s early days and the df is a lighter more restricted machine. Gravel bikes are the df go to I think.

I rarely ride my carbon wonder bike .

Be fun to get close on the q. 45. And all in super comfort with hauling capacity and ability to handle light off road. Great choice in bike. Wish I had one.

Do a 1000 klm. See how you fare then.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
He’s got it right. Practice will bring your fitness to the same level for this new skill. Add in a laid back seat of 40 degrees and you will likely be similar to your your road bike speeds - not climbing nor accelerating because the Q is heavier - but probably similar but withmore comfort from position, from tire size, from suspension. If you match your road bike components for wheel and tires you may surpass it. I prefer the larger tires.

waltersj2002

I
Spring weather is teasing and the requests for help locating this information are flowing in.

The official learning instructions are here: http://cruzbike.com/learn-to-ride.html

Don't miss the videos on that page, they explain far better than words. For those that prefer to live in the forum or a concise paper print-out, here the content from the section.

Find a parking lot with about a 1-2% pitch. Go to the high end.
Video: Skill 1: The Easy Chair

Walk your Cruzbike to the high end of your gently sloping parking lot. Squeeze both brake levers to lock and step over the frame. Take your seat. With both brakes still locked, settle in. Get the feel of your body in the seat and your feet on the ground. Lean back, sit up. Lean back again. Get comfortable.
Video: Skill 2: The Fred Flintstone

Return to the high end of your learning area and position the bike downhill. Seat yourself on the bike with your feet on the ground. Gently push off and coast down the slope and lift your feet up in the air spread eagle. Get them as high as you can. We never said you were gonna look cool while learning, we just said you’d learn. When you reach the bottom of the slope, walk the bike back up and do it again. Repeat this five times.
Video: Skill 3: The Spread Eagle Coast

Beginning again at the high end of your learning area, gently push off and coast. This time, putyour feet on the pedals but do not pedal. You’ll want to pedal, but don’t do it. Keep the bike as steady and straight as you can. Do this twice. On the third repetition, steer just a touch using only your foot pressure. This is harder than it sounds but you need to learn what it feels like. Again, resist the urge to pedal. The best students wait. Repeat the pedal tease steering skill three times
Video: Skill 4: The Pedal Tease Coast & Steer

Release the brakes and begin to walk yourself and the bike forward while comfortably seated, a la Fred Flintstone. This simple skill helps you get the feel for weight distribution and your own position relative to the bike and the ground. Keep rolling until you feel comfortable lifting your feet just off the ground. Walk, roll and coast like this for a few minutes.
Video: Skill 5: Pedaling

Start adding shallow turns. Lean out ever so slightly during the turn, as you would on a racing motorcycle or snowmobile. This is the opposite of what you’d do on a standard road bike..
Video: Skill 6: Turning

After you’re comfortable with shallow turns, pedal through some figure eights. Start big and work smaller. Go both directions. One will be easier, that’s your dominant side. Practice both. Pedal through the turns if you feel unsteady. This is the first bike you’ve had that you can pedal through any turn. Remember you can always drop a foot down to steady yourself if needed.
Video: Skill 7: Figure Eights

Veteran Riders feel free to add you best tips to this thread, including tips for clip-less, hills, gravel etc.
Ive read those threads and they’re helpful but I’m 74 and worried about getting hurt. Also getting more and more anxious which makes everything worse. I’ll probably keep trying unless it sells.

Bo6

I

Ive read those threads and they’re helpful but I’m 74 and worried about getting hurt. Also getting more and more anxious which makes everything worse. I’ll probably keep trying unless it sells.
I know how you feel, I'm 72 and have ~500 km on my Q45. I spent several short days doing loops in a very quiet neighborhood. Balance only started to come as I relaxed, and even then my old brain reverted to upright bike techniques when I panicked. At about 300 km I got out on quiet roads and got more comfortable, though in tense situations the old brain can still revert, so it takes a bit of concentration to just relax! Now I am riding with the old group, though at the back and not the front. I does get more fun every ride.

Al the videos and tips helped, but everyone learns a bit differently. Hope you can get comfortable on it.

Bob

SteveY

I bought Scoutie22's moss green S40 from the classifieds. I have taken a few short rides over the years on recumbents, but today was my first ride on a Cruzbike. I read some training posts and watched some videos and today took my first ride. I did about 4 miles of flintstone, rolling, pedaling, turns, figure 8's, and a few stops to make adjustments. I could ride in a fairly straight line and decided to take it in on my usual Saturday morning longer ride of 3.5 hours today. Mostly 8' wide concete trails. No falls, but a few quick stops and feet down! I don't think I have anything to share that hasn't already been said, but here are the things that I noticed:
It is weird not seeing the front tire. I practiced looking further ahead (like on a motorcycle) especially on turns. Looking too near the front of the bike seems to cause wobble.
My bike has a viscoset, but it isn't very restrictive. I think if I could tighten it, that would help.
For the first couple of hours I could not comfortably rest my head on the head rest. Then after a break at the 2 hour mark I could - it is very nice!
I could ride about 45-60 minutes and then things would get wobbly. I stopped and took a 5 minute break each time to relax and it was better when I restarted.
My bike has the standard seat (I wonder if I should get new padding as this is used) and it was comfortable. I am 5'10, 165lbs, and 62 years old. I found I could lift my butt up a to ease the pressure while riding to let it relax a bit without stopping.
It was breezy today and it seems that I could ride faster into the wind with less effort than my DF bike. Love that!
I need to practice starting on inclines and turns, tight corners, riding in a straight line, and no hands. I could ride with either hand fairly well.
I bought a recumbent because I had a herniated disk 30 years ago that flares up a couple of times a year and frankly my butt/sit bones have been telling me to find a different option for a couple of years, and I choose the Cruzbike because it checked the boxes of 'not clunky', fast'ish, well designed and built, able to add racks and bags, fits on a normal bike carrier, and has a great community of riders! Thanks to the forum contributors and the Cruzbike team.
IMG_20240309_114520203.jpg

danhunt56

I have a Quest 2.0. I live in the Berkeley hills. There is no such thing as riding it on level ground. The hills were impossible or very difficult. But going straight occurred pretty quickly, there is a rhythm between pushing on the pedal while pulling on the bar that develops. Also mysteriously as I progressed it seemed to just go straight. Also a big trick is always be in a high cadence, that means lower gears then you normally use on your diamond frame bike. Hard pedaling means you have to push against your hand pulling. You may need to change your gear ratios to achieve that. Mine came with an out of round I think 42 tooth that I changed to a 36 tooth round. Also I changed the sram 3speed hub with cassette for an internal geared hub. But when I got the bike home to Italy, which is just as but hilly, the final solution was a front hub motor on the rear wheel. I still have a workout on the many long climbs but my concentration is on technique as the motor gets me going and keeps me going even riding off road. The motor is to me the best training augmentation you can add for hills. Especially for hills like you have in Seattle. It will cost you about $500 though. I have three other motorized bikes that I love, but I haven’t ridden them once since I got the Cruzbike setup. I ride it everywhere. And the hills are a fun workout now.