Still looking at the T50

Bikenutjay

Ok I am looking at the T50 for a neighbor hood bike , the vendetta does not work well on the side walks and trails .
So what is most people’s average speed , I ride a lot in Florida .
I have several bikes just wanting to compare with what I already own .
Just don’t get enough time to ride the vendetta these days .
Thanks Jay

jond

Zen MBB Master
Not exactly a t50 which would be a little faster but my sofrider with heavy marathon plus gets along easily at 25 klm per hour. Similar effort sees the vendetta at 36 klm per hour.

the t50 is lighter more adjustable and I’d see it would be closer to your roadbike performance depending upon your wattages and weight.

get the new s40 you know you want to. ..... I do.

Scott

again - a similar bike - my QX100 - avg 12-15 mph on rail trails in my area. Slightly faster on asphalt. YMMV.

Bikenutjay

So around 15 to 16 avg , Top speed around 20 to 21
I have two to three bikes that I can do that on . The Bacchetta will do better with close to 25 top speed .
Just wanting to get rid of some of the bikes and try to stay with the MBB recumbents
When I can’t get the vendetta out for a month or two ,.
I have to get use to it again and it takes a week or two .
And the trails in the neighborhood have areas where the transition are to ruff for road bike tires , just had to have the front wheel spooks and nipples replaced . On the carbon wheel set.
Thanks Jay

Last edited:

Bikenutjay

Yes the S 40 is o the radar , still waiting on June 1 .
Kind of want to take the group set from the old road bike and build a S 40

Jay

Tuloose

Guru
I know what you mean about wanting to keep with the MBB bikes so you don't lose your Cruzbike riding chops.
I have 3 CB's, a T50, an old Silvio 1.0 and a V20 and I ride nothing else unless it's a diamond frame bike I'm testing out at the community bike shop.
I use the T50 as my towner bike for short jaunts and shopping trips.
I have it set up with flat pedals and a rear rack that holds a pair of large shopping panniers or my dog carrier for taking my pup to the park.
I laid the seat back another 5 deg by cutting a couple inches off the seat supports.
It's a capable hauler and it's the bike I take along on camping trips for casual trail rides.
It's no where near the speed demon the V is and it climbs slower than the other 2 and on long rides I notice some recumbutt from the more upright seating and the thin seat cushion but it's a great bike for it's intended purpose.

IMG_20180408_121044943_HDR.jpg

Bikenutjay

I know what you mean about wanting to keep with the MBB bikes so you don't lose your Cruzbike riding chops.
I have 3 CB's, a T50, an old Silvio 1.0 and a V20 and I ride nothing else unless it's a diamond frame bike I'm testing out at the community bike shop.
I use the T50 as my towner bike for short jaunts and shopping trips.
I have it set up with flat pedals and a rear rack that holds a pair of large shopping panniers or my dog carrier for taking my pup to the park.
I laid the seat back another 5 deg by cutting a couple inches off the seat supports.
It's a capable hauler and it's the bike I take along on camping trips for casual trail rides.
It's no where near the speed demon the V is and it climbs slower than the other 2 and on long rides I notice some recumbutt from the more upright seating and the thin seat cushion but it's a great bike for it's intended purpose.

View attachment 11408
Love it I take our dog on my Ice trike ( in a dog carrier )
I take it on trips out of town so I can ride when the wife is out shopping or what ever

so your saying I need to make room for a new bike !

DavidJL

I converted my T50 to an E-bike, and now it's the fastest bike I have. Have over 1800 miles on it now. Really fun to go out on super windy days and pull 20 mph into the wind. Had seat angle way back, but put it back up to about 45 degrees. Easier to turn head and doesn't need neck rest, but do get recumbutt. I don't have a cushion on the seat part, just on the back rest part. I have been using a Safe Zone helmet mirror and it's actually better than the bike-mounted mirror I had on.

Bikenutjay

Not exactly a t50 which would be a little faster but my sofrider with heavy marathon plus gets along easily at 25 klm per hour. Similar effort sees the vendetta at 36 klm per hour.

the t50 is lighter more adjustable and I’d see it would be closer to your roadbike performance depending upon your wattages and weight.

The only thing about the S40 is the through axles , just doesn’t give a lot of choices on wheel sets . So that has me waiting to see what is available.
I have one mountain bike with the front fork with through axle and disk breaks 27.5

JerseyJim

Ok I am looking at the T50 for a neighbor hood bike , the vendetta does not work well on the side walks and trails .
So what is most people’s average speed , I ride a lot in Florida .
I have several bikes just wanting to compare with what I already own .
Just don’t get enough time to ride the vendetta these days .
Thanks Jay

I think the average speed depends a lot on how you have your bike set up and how strong of a rider you are.

When I'm riding in my sweet spot power zone, 18 to 20 mph is where I'm cruising. At tempo I'm at 17 to 19 mph. This is on flat terrain.

I have 26" wheels built with Velocity Aeroheat rims. I'm running Continental Gatorskins at 28 mm wide. Usually my tire pressure is between 80 and 90 psi. My drivetrain is a Shimano Nexus 7 speed internal gear hub.

There's more speed to be found with a more efficient drivetrain (or engine). The T50 is very capable. There's nothing about the design that will hold you back if you need to go quickly, provided you've set it up for speed. However, if you do, you will sacrifice some comfort.

jond

Zen MBB Master
And importantly comfort is paramount and related directly to speed. If youre not comfy you may well be a lot slower on a very fast bike. For example rubbish roads pothole repaired the slower suspended bike is actually faster as you can pedal still in comparison to the flighty thoroughbred blurring your vision.
I think the average speed depends a lot on how you have your bike set up and how strong of a rider you are.

When I'm riding in my sweet spot power zone, 18 to 20 mph is where I'm cruising. At tempo I'm at 17 to 19 mph. This is on flat terrain.

I have 26" wheels built with Velocity Aeroheat rims. I'm running Continental Gatorskins at 28 mm wide. Usually my tire pressure is between 80 and 90 psi. My drivetrain is a Shimano Nexus 7 speed internal gear hub.

There's more speed to be found with a more efficient drivetrain (or engine). The T50 is very capable. There's nothing about the design that will hold you back if you need to go quickly, provided you've set it up for speed. However, if you do, you will sacrifice some comfort.

yes we have all seen the t50 vendetta.

JerseyJim

And importantly comfort is paramount and related directly to speed. If youre not comfy you may well be a lot slower on a very fast bike. For example rubbish roads pothole repaired the slower suspended bike is actually faster as you can pedal still in comparison to the flighty thoroughbred blurring your vision.

Yes, indeed. I've experienced this more than a few times and as recently as this month when on a brevet. The last 6-8 miles of the 200k I was riding had terrible asphalt. The bumps combined with a over 100 miles worth of fatigue in my body dropped my speed way down. The last bit of the ride took way longer than I wanted and beat me up pretty good. I generally like my setup but rough roads make me wish for more supple tires and suspension. Luckily, most of the time the roads around here and my setup agree.

Bikenutjay

Yes, indeed. I've experienced this more than a few times and as recently as this month when on a brevet. The last 6-8 miles of the 200k I was riding had terrible asphalt. The bumps combined with a over 100 miles worth of fatigue in my body dropped my speed way down. The last bit of the ride took way longer than I wanted and beat me up pretty good. I generally like my setup but rough roads make me wish for more supple tires and suspension. Luckily, most of the time the roads around here and my setup agree.

I have also hit the bonk wall on long rides in Tennessee a few times its not fun / smooth roads or not .
In Florida its the winds and heat and dehydration and the roads that will get you . even some of the rail trails are ruff.

super slim

Zen MBB Master

That's a 44% difference in speed!
I know you had a power hub on the vendetta, but have you any power meter on the Softrider?

I know that my average speed (No power meter!) went from 20 kph to 25 kph on 100 km flat rides, when going from Schwalbe Marathon PLUS (406*1.5") + to greenspeed Scorcher (406*1.5") on a trike!

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
That's a 44% difference in speed!
I know you had a power hub on the vendetta, but have you any power meter on the Softrider?

I know that my average speed (No power meter!) went from 20 kph to 25 kph on 100 km flat rides, when going from Schwalbe Marathon (406*1.5") + to greenspeed Scorcher (406*1.5") on a trike!

My sofrider sits on the kickr trainer. No nil on road power meter for the sofrider.

marathons are unexpectedly not that slow. Marathon plus are very slow. Scorchers are fast but wear even faster. There is a rolling resistance test site that rated the marathon faster than the kojak. Kojaks must have sucked a lot of round lollipops.
I run marathons and now marathon racers on the hurricane. Again the marathons are rated faster than the racers. My experience was I can’t tell. Racers are lighter.

on my trike I run big apples. I also have marathon plus tyres for it but they are so heavy. I anecdotally say the big apples are approx 4 klm per hour faster than marathon plus. At Cruise speed. On this gto trike.

On the fernleigh track out and back the fastest average klm/ hr I went on greenspeed gto catrike 700 df wonder bike and vendetta were.

27.3. 33.7. 35.6 and 39. Note the track has a long climb which I was faster on with df.
Tyres were big apples. Conti contact gp 4000s x 2. Weights kg 17.5 13.8 7 and 11.3

the power was around 270 watts avg. with roadie catrike and vendetta with hub power meters. I still have two power meters but don’t worry about them these days. These speeds were some six years ago.

so is the sofrider slower than the greenspeed ? no it is not even with marathon plus.

I am slower . The sofrider is a heavy indestructible beast. But with some fast tyres I think she would get along close to 30 at cruising speeds. I’m in no rush pardon the pun to find out. I think it’s as fast as my hurricane which is close to the roadie.

The sofrider and hurricane are my suspended training bikes. Ahhh

the pelso audax bike ,the v speed machine ,the gto tourer relax bike. Sold the catrike.

seriously considering s40 as retirement bike present to self........it could replace the hurricane gto and brevet. Selling point -2 for cfo approval.

so yeah tyres etc etc affect speed. 44% on an individual bike no. Maybe 15-20%.

Plus when you drag out a super fast bike you have to go fast. Very on a v. It’s all in the head.

Bikenutjay

Ask cruzbike today if they have a date when the T 50 new module will available.
They don't know as the aluminum is hard to source / but they are on the list to be made .

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My sofrider sits on the kickr trainer. No nil on road power meter for the sofrider.

marathons are unexpectedly not that slow. Marathon plus are very slow. Scorchers are fast but wear even faster. There is a rolling resistance test site that rated the marathon faster than the kojak. Kojaks must have sucked a lot of round lollipops.
I run marathons and now marathon racers on the hurricane. Again the marathons are rated faster than the racers. My experience was I can’t tell. Racers are lighter.

on my trike I run big apples. I also have marathon plus tyres for it but they are so heavy. I anecdotally say the big apples are approx 4 klm per hour faster than marathon plus. At Cruise speed. On this gto trike.

On the fernleigh track out and back the fastest average klm/ hr I went on greenspeed gto catrike 700 df wonder bike and vendetta were.

27.3. 33.7. 35.6 and 39. Note the track has a long climb which I was faster on with df.
Tyres were big apples. Conti contact gp 4000s x 2. Weights kg 17.5 13.8 7 and 11.3

the power was around 270 watts avg. with roadie catrike and vendetta with hub power meters. I still have two power meters but don’t worry about them these days. These speeds were some six years ago.

so is the sofrider slower than the greenspeed ? no it is not even with marathon plus.

I am slower . The sofrider is a heavy indestructible beast. But with some fast tyres I think she would get along close to 30 at cruising speeds. I’m in no rush pardon the pun to find out. I think it’s as fast as my hurricane which is close to the roadie.

The sofrider and hurricane are my suspended training bikes. Ahhh

the pelso audax bike ,the v speed machine ,the gto tourer relax bike. Sold the catrike.

seriously considering s40 as retirement bike present to self........it could replace the hurricane gto and brevet. Selling point -2 for cfo approval.

so yeah tyres etc etc affect speed. 44% on an individual bike no. Maybe 15-20%.

Plus when you drag out a super fast bike you have to go fast. Very on a v. It’s all in the head.
Now that the S40 can have a 700C*35 tyre, it is MUCH better looking!!!
My Greenspeed tyres were cut to shreds in 800 km as very soft, and too many high speed descents on rough Bitumen roads!
The Kojack 406*1.3" were much better and very predicable high speed cornering!!! AND lasted 3,000 km!!

Does the Greenspeed GTO have 16" or 20" wheels?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Now that the S40 can have a 700C*35 tyre, it is MUCH better looking!!!
My Greenspeed tyres were cut to shreds in 800 km as very soft, and too many high speed descents on rough Bitumen roads!
The Kojack 406*1.3" were much better and very predicable high speed cornering!!! AND lasted 3,000 km!!

Does the Greenspeed GTO have 16" or 20" wheels?

gto has three 406 20” wheels with an ss coupler mid frame to make it bike pack able sorta in a standard suit case. Mine is red red red. It will be my last bike. If you were on strava you’d see my bikes.

6B9BD075-44BB-446D-AEEE-D650EE6A1476.jpeg