Suitable for Conversion?

Bravewave

I ordered the conversion kit and have been searching for a suitable dual suspension donor bike. No luck as yet, but I do have 4 mountain bikes (hardtails) hanging in my garage! I ride a 17" frame and have 12 and 13 inch frames from my kids that have been gathering dust. I am considering converting the 13" trek frame and was interested in any opinions about its suitability. I have read here about the recommended 3" clearance from inseam and "no greater than" 17" frame" suggestions. I'm wondering more if a 13" frame is too small? the With that frame size I have 8" clearance from inseam, but I can imagine that there may be a size issue? I have included a picture below. Thanks!!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Bravewave wrote: Stepladder? The seat post part of the frame registers at 23" from the ground....

Yeah, but to get the seat reclined at all, you will have to have the pan further up the top tube. It's worth a try, you can just attach the seat and see if the reach is doable. I'm just looking at the severity of the top tube angle. The nose of the pan is going to be quite elevated, which means you will want a pretty good recline on the seat back. By the time you get the seat pan far enough up the top tube, I fear you will be out of the comfort zone for dabbing a foot down, which you will be doing a lot of when first learning to ride. Try it, though. All it will cost you is a little time!

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
It will work just keep the seat as far back as you can.You will have to bend the seat post or make a plywood adapter like mine. Check out the pictures of Jacks Cannondale in the yahoo group. Jack

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bravewave...

I built my first conversion on a frame that is functionally identical to the one you're showing, although it was a Toys-r-Us steel bike and weighed a ton.

B00006JZ8P01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

walmart-1.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

As you can see, I used a different seat, but the comments about seat height are consistent with what I found.

The bike worked quite well, climbed really well considering it weighed 47 lbs. It made me want to improve a few things:
-lighter frame
-lower seat
-seat closer to the bars

Mark is right in that the seat will want to end up at about 28" because of the top tube angle. Also, the whole Cruzbike dynamic seems to get a little sweeter as you get the seat closer to the steerer tube (that's been my experience on all of them I've built so far).

However, if you are tall, this frame can work fine for you.

Best,

Bravewave

Thanks Doug.....that's excellent feedback...I have struggled to find a donor bike so I may just go ahead and convert the Trek frame I originally posted. I can definitely see how the seat angle and height could be a problem.

Thanks!

Bravewave

ok...now I'm eyeing my 17" frame Specialized Rockhopper...I realize it's maybe a little tall? But the angle of the top tube is less severe....any thoughts?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Bravewave wrote: ok...now I'm eyeing my 17" frame Specialized Rockhopper...I realize it's maybe a little tall? But the angle of the top tube is less severe....any thoughts?

I'd say the same thing as before. Mount the seat on the top tube and see if the ride height will be acceptable. Keep in mind that as you are first learning, getting your foot/feet down to the ground quicly will be a valuable asset.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Bravewave wrote: ok...now I'm eyeing my 17" frame Specialized Rockhopper...I realize it's maybe a little tall? But the angle of the top tube is less severe....any thoughts?

Jack should be able to chime in on this one - It's very much like the C-dale he converted - He seems very happy with it.

Best,

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Its getting up there ... what will be the angle from your centre of gravity to the front wheel contact patch, and if it is steep, how will you go in an emergency stop?

Bravewave

frustration

Making pretty good, but slow headway on my conversion. I'd call it learning basic bike mechanics while I am trying to convert a bike to a Cruzbike!!

In any event, I am stuck on the chainstay fixing bolts....one threads just fine...the other doesn't...I have included a photo ...anyone else experienced this? Sugestions?

Thanks,

David

Bravewave

thanks John...I noticed that the tips on the frame piece were slightly farther apart as well..I bent them closer together...reoriented the washers and BASTA! worked great...appreciate the swift response....getting close!!

Bravewave

Almost there!

ko....I have almost completely assembled the kit, and have questions about the brake set up...seems to be my remaining puzzle.

By reversing the front fork, I of course change the side on which the silver "cradle," for lack of a better word, to slip the V brake cable into. I coul duse some coaching on how to set the brakes up to accomodate this....it has completely baffled me and my quasi-experienced friend helping me today. For instance, the cable now drops straight down to the brake, as opposed to crossing over to "pull" from the righ hand side of the brake assembly.

And while I'm asking, I'm curiosu as to the design rationale to turn the front forks and create a negative rake.

Thanks!!

David