Survived the virgin ride; it was scary fun!

WhiteSilvio

Young Mark wrote: If I find myself in the wrong gear, I use my power leg and "ratchet" the crank until I have enough momentum to pick my other foot up. Of course this only works if you're using clipless pedals.

So Mark, what is the "right gear"? John B asked if I was in the right gear.
And so I'm wondering if I should be in a higher gear so that the "power stroke" lasts a little longer, enough time to get the other hoof up and onto the pedal.

I usually find myself needing to take-off from say, a set of lights, and I have arrived there in first gear, so I'm launching in first gear. Should I try changing into second or third? (as I'm stopping) What gear ratio do you use?

Young Mark wrote: Try running your tires with a little lower pressure. Maybe that will slow things down a little until you get a tad more comfortable.
I'll have to take a bit of a guess at this because the floor pump I have doesn't have a gauge. I usually just give it all my massive frame until I can't push any more! Probably quite comical for onlookers!

WhiteSilvio wrote: Any thoughts? John R.
Young Mark wrote: Sure, I'd give you fifty bucks for the white Silvio and you could forget the whole thing! :lol: :lol: Just kidding!
Mark

Hmm .... Let me consider this generous offer for a nanosecond, maybe a tad less! No I think I'll pass for the moment.
I'm just getting the white stallion to something like I think I want it at the moment.

Regards,
John. :)
PS I think I'll see if I can find some BioAmp on eBay. :lol:

JonB

Zen MBB Master
WhiteSilvio wrote:
Young Mark wrote: If I find myself in the wrong gear, I use my power leg and "ratchet" the crank until I have enough momentum to pick my other foot up. Of course this only works if you're using clipless pedals.

So Mark, what is the "right gear"? John B asked if I was in the right gear.
And so I'm wondering if I should be in a higher gear so that the "power stroke" lasts a little longer, enough time to get the other hoof up and onto the pedal.

I usually find myself needing to take-off from say, a set of lights, and I have arrived there in first gear, so I'm launching in first gear. Should I try changing into second or third? (as I'm stopping) What gear ratio do you use?
On flats i generally start in 2. gear. If it has been raining or the surface is otherwise slippery, i start in 3. gear. I think i do the same uphill.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The right gear is subjective, as its the easiest gear for you to take off with. I ride a 52/42/30 triple and am almost always on the 42. When I approach a stop, I shift down three or four gears and that's usually about right for me. If the stop is on an incline, I may grab one more. Decline, maybe one less. I know this doesn't tell you much and I'm sure you are tired of hearing this, but the long and the short answer is; it's all based on experience and spending more time on the bike. You can read a lot, but there's no substitute for time on the bike. And besides, who wouldn't want to be seen on that beautiful bike you have?!!?

My offer stands, BTW. I might go as high as $75!

Mark

WhiteSilvio

Young Mark wrote: The right gear is subjective, as its the easiest gear for you to take off with. I ride a 52/42/30 triple and am almost always on the 42.
John R..I'm using a 50/34 compact crank with 11/23 cassette
When I approach a stop, I shift down three or four gears and that's usually about right for me. If the stop is on an incline, I may grab one more. So one gear lower (still on the 42 'ring)?? Decline, maybe one less.
I know this doesn't tell you much and I'm sure you are tired of hearing this, but the long and the short answer is; it's all based on experience and spending more time on the bike. I'm interested in the fact that you are using the 42T 'ring. So you rarely use the 30T 'ring for hill starts and climbing?
You can read a lot, but there's no substitute for time on the bike. And besides, who wouldn't want to be seen on that beautiful bike you have?!!?

My offer stands, BTW. I might go as high as $75!

Mark
R42Pilot wrote: Stopping and restarting on a steep hill is not for the faint of heart! It can be made better by playing around with tire pressures and front shock pressure to keep the front tire sticking better. Mostly, you keep moving and try to avoid stopping, if you can. If you have to stop, you make sure to get into a low enough gear so you can ratchet your power leg to get enough positive momentum going to clip in your other foot. Once you get a smooth spin going, traction is better. It's the spikes in power transfer that spin the tire, just like in any other vehicle. Smooth acceleration, no slippage.

Hi there Mark
I see your comment on BROL forum and I guess I have already/will adopt(ed) this strategy. I have already started to try and keep rolling rather than stopping. I guess it's just a matter of having the time to go out and spend some time on various slopes and find out what works and what doesn't.
And of course practise, practise, practise............
Just at the moment I am using pedals with straps (I have a set of clipless pedals waiting in the wings for when I think I am ready) so I may be able to experiment with the ratcheting idea. Do other riders use this technique for hillstarts??

Regards John R

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
John,

If I were on a steep hill, I would go down to the 30 tooth. Steep being the subjective word, I guess. For normal street stoppage, I would never be on the 30. I only use that on,say, an extended 5% or greater grade. The exception being if I can get a run at it and clear it without having to downshift. On a grade like that, I'll try not to stop, at all.

I use the ratcheting technique sometimes even on regualar street starts if I'm in too high of gear to spin the crank with one leg and don't get a clean start.

Mark

Flasharry

Quote: WhiteSilvio wrote:
Do other riders use this technique for hillstarts??
Yes quite often.

Quote: Danielpeper wrote:
I need to improve the padding on the seat; my tailbone is pretty sensitive. (An old Rollerblading injury.) What do you know about the Trico Painkiller Saddle Pad? It's a gel pad, like Sorbethane, I reckon.
Get yourself a cheap carry mat /camping mat. Using the seat pad as a pattern, cut out the shape and stuff it in the back of your seat pad adding layers until you are properly comfortable. You can also alter the seat shape and angle, by adding parts of the cut out.

Stuart.