T50 boom orientation?

Frank Costantini

B8AC741E-9CD4-40D1-A879-A1801A4BB7F6.jpeg I noticed that on my T50 the opening where the brake and shifter cables run through the boom bracket (see photo above, I’m not sure what it is called) is large at the top and small at the bottom - and the cable housings are getting scraped at the bottom.
A side view shows that this would be fixed by inverting the boom, as the bracket is asymmetrical.
864BCD6C-1601-4F70-9AAE-FB6B6F35BB26.jpeg

I tried to remove the hex bolt to do this, and I could unscrew the right side, but then the remaining part of the bolt (seen in second photo), which extends fully through the bracket, would not budge.
Any advice how to do this?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I tried to remove the hex bolt to do this, and I could unscrew the right side, but then the remaining part of the bolt (seen in second photo), which extends fully through the bracket, would not budge.
Any advice how to do this?

I'm not entirely sure that flipping that boom bracket is going to get you more space - my pee-brain is telling me you will loose space... Zip ties may hold the cable housings from being able to move freely against the sharp edge.

They may have changed things since the conversion kit... but one way to push out a bolt/sleeve/nut if you don't have a specific tool made for the purpose is to screw in the bolt most of the way leaving a small gap, maybe 2 mm depending on your situation, then hitting the bolt head with a rubber mallet or placing a piece of wood on top of the bolt and hitting that wood with a hammer. That will drive the "nut" portion out, once it starts to move you can unscrew the bolt more to continue pushing it through if necessary until the sleeve/nut comes out the other side. You can do the same with the screw-driver/socket if necessary on recessed bolts. I had to do that on the QX100 rear swing arm pivot when I replaced the rear shock because it was just a tiny bit to tight to remove without persuasion.

Sometimes there is tension on the bolt from something else like the clamp on the other side wanting to be rotated just a tiny bit so loosening that clamp can help. Similarly, loosening the boom clamp to eliminate any possible twisting force on the boom bracket.

Let us know how you make out and whether this info was helpful.

Frank Costantini

Ok, I read the earlier post and I guess my boom is in the correct orientation anyway - so never mind, I don’t need to remove the bolt after all. Thanks!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Good luck with the cables. Securing them to the boom, handlebar, fork parts that rotate together with the cables in such a way that they don't rub on the head tube could be quite a challenge without completely removing them - but if you can get the bolt out easily then you could just zip tie them to the boom just in front of or beside that bracket which should solve the pinch and rubbing of the cable housing. Happy trails!