Tales of a recumbent newb

Katron

Day 1: September 1 I drove from OKC to Houston to buy a used Vendetta, my first recumbent bike experience. The seller was great. He included a lot of accessories and helped me get everything packed up in my truck.

Even though I kept hearing how difficult it is at first, I was totally amped up to get on this puppy. Of course it starts raining on the way to my hotel, so go to grab dinner.

There is a break in the weather after dinner, so I took the bike over to the school parking lot behind the hotel. I then proceed to endure one of the most awkward 10 minute spans of my life.

I was cautious enough to wear running shoes instead of cleats. I duck walked with my chest pressed against the handlebars and coasted the first couple of minutes. I wasn’t comfortable, but I was trusting the learning process.

Being my own teacher , I immediately promoted myself to pedaling. I spied a storm drain that I used to locate a slight grade in what was an extremely flat lot. I duck walked with with the handlebars once again buried in my chest. As I coasted, I found the courage to raise my feet to the pedals and SUCCESS! The pedaling is awkward, but I made it safely across the lot. Since the drain was in the middle of the lot, I was able to repeat the process without walking the bike to the other side.

After going across back and forth twice, my chest had red marks from the handlebars. That didn’t seem right. At that point I recalled that the boom was adjustable. After shortening the boom, my chest found relief and the little bit of steering I was doing became easier. Once again, my teacher promoted me. I had officially graduated to steering.

I weaved my way through lot and around a sparse population of vehicles. My pedaling wasn’t fast nor my steering graceful, but it was effective for a recumbent hatchling.

Then the first scare occurred. As I was turning, it felt like the bike was coming from under me. The sensation was similar to when you lose focus when using rollers on an upright bike. My trained response was to pedal faster. After bike returned to vertical, I really asked myself, “Did that really work?”

Just as My teacher was about instruct me to attempt tighter maneuvers, a student driver in a pickup truck arrives to practice in the same lot. That was more risk than this newb was ready to assume, I took the bike back to my hotel room.

I browsed the Cruzbike website that evening and came across a video on adjusting the boom and the chainstay. After following the video, I was amazed at how drastically different my setup was from the seller’s considering we are the same height. With that she started to feel like MY bike.

Katron

Day 2 (September 3): I was itching to try out the adjustments I made in the hotel room, but I promised my wife that I would only take 30 minutes of Labor Day practicing on my new toy. Even though the school I planned to practice at is in my neighborhood, it still only left about 20 minutes of actual practice time.

Man! I thought the lot in Texas was flat! There was no discernible grade except the exits onto road. I told myself, “Trust the the duck walk.” Once again, the duck walk came through. After 4 or 5 steps, I was able to transition to pedaling pretty easily. I picked up where I left off with steering. In the most open area I did

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I can tell you for sure you will be forever tweaking. Welcome!

Katron

Day 2 (September 3): I was itching to try out the adjustments I made in the hotel room, but I promised my wife that I would only take 30 minutes of Labor Day practicing on my new toy. Even though the school I planned to practice at is in my neighborhood, it still only left about 20 minutes of actual practice time.

Man! I thought the lot in Texas was flat! There was no discernible grade except the exits onto road. I told myself, “Trust the the duck walk.” Once again, the duck walk came through. After 4 or 5 steps, I was able to transition to pedaling pretty easily. I picked up where I left off with steering. In the most open area I did
I can tell you for sure you will be forever tweaking. Welcome!

I can believe it! I have a few already planned for this week.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
..Just as My teacher was about instruct me to attempt tighter maneuvers, a student driver in a pickup truck arrives to practice in the same lot. That was more risk than this newb was ready to assume, I took the bike back to my hotel room...
Good choice! Welcome to the tribe. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great learning story! Welcome to the tribe - there is no turning back now - addiction begins.....:D

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Welcome to the tribe. No turning back - until you learn to do a U-turn in the street. You will be constantly tweaking. When you think the tweaking is coming to an end you will read something on this forum about short cranks which will start off a new round of tweaking. And what about Thor?

I think my tweaking has come to an end, because now it seems to fit me like a glove. The more mileage you do the more you will like it.

Katron

Thank you all for the welcome.

For my fellow newbs, the complete day 2 and 3 are below:

Man! I thought the lot in Texas was flat! There was no discernible grade except the exits onto road. I told myself, “Trust the the duck walk.” Once again, the duck walk came through. After 4 or 5 steps, I was able to transition to pedaling pretty easily. I picked up where I left off with steering. In the most open area I did big ovals, followed by big figure eights, followed by smaller circles/ovals, then not quite small figure eights.

Each drill started with the trusted, but not loved duck walk. It didn’t take long before the desire to start pedaling from a stop overwhelmed reason (this happened briefly in Texas as well). Just like in Texas, pushing on the pedal failed to produce appreciable forward momentum or gyroscopic action. I’m so glad the bike is low enough to the ground that I could just put my feet down as the bike teetered every time I attempted to launch. I soon decided that this was a skill that would have to wait for another day.

I next practice maneuvering around the obstacles in the lot (islands, signs and curbs). I manage to avoid crashing while demonstrating the turn radius of a semi truck. Considering the Vendetta’s wheel base is not much different than that of my DF, the primary impediment to making smooth tight turns was most likely yours truly. I was, however, comfortable enough to get up over 15 mph.

Near the end of my practice session, I was lying back to adjust my mirrors when a police officer pulled up. I was wondering if there was some ordinance I was violating. He rolled down his window and said, “That is cool! What in the world is it?” After explaining the V to him, he tells me to rock on. I would have loved to have rocked on, but that exchange ate up a good portion of my remaining time. Also after he left, other passers by could no longer fight the urge to get a closer look.

Unfortunately, thunderstorms kept me off of the bike for the next seven days.

Day 3 (September 8): The maiden voyage. An 8.6 mile jaunt around Lake Overhoser in a light drizzle. The bike checked out mechanically. I realize I left my bike computer, patch kit, spare tubes, and mini pump I grabbed was the one I use for balls only accepts Shrader valves. I am not deterred. Still hoping my ride doesn’t turn into a ride/walk, but not deterred.

After turning on the Strava app, loading the bike up with water and and my personal affects and then some remarkable happened. Instinct overpowered reason. Sitting up in the seat, I put my foot on the pedal and pushed as I pulled back on the handlebars. The bike move forward! It was a bit wobbly, but I was able to pedal up the incline to the road. I stopped on the road because I had to try it again and I needed to adjust the mirrors.

Push and pull. Wobble and roll. As I started to lie back, I see a guy on DF turn onto the road a couple hundred yards in front of me. For a moment I wished that I was on my Trek so I could chase him down. I told myself, “You will be chasing those guys down in a few months.” For the moment, I was focused on being vertical and somewhat in control of this new beast.

Starting from the south side of the lake, I headed west. The road was weathered but still relatively even and had slight incline as it bent northward. I estimated my pace to be between 12 and 15 mph. The winds swirled, but was manageable. Occasionally a car would linger some distance behind me before deciding they had seen enough of the show to pass.

Traffic cleared around mile 3. I was glad that I was not on my Trek. The cyclist I saw earlier had only opened the distance between us to about half a mile. He clearly wasn’t as motivated as he was a few miles ago. The terrain over next half to three quarters of a mile continued to curve and started roll.

I finally reach the north side of the lake. The road is still weathered, but suddenly it was flat and pretty straight for about two miles. The wind was pretty constant. I was feeling confident enough to increase my cadence a touch and shift to a smaller rear... err... lower cog. I figured I was up close to 18 mph at that point. I noticed the gap between me and the other rider was slowly shrinking. I had to fight the urge to hunt, “You are not a greyhound, he is not a rabbit.” I had to say it more than once. Sold myself the rationale that at this rate, I would catch him by the time we got back to the south side of the lake. There was no reason to exert additional effort and take on unnecessary risk.

The distance continued to close. Then it happened. A little more than half a mile before the southbound turn... he turned north. It was like a starving predator seeing its would be meal escape into its burrow. A smooth stretch of road over a bridge was my only consolation. I used the frustration to sustain my pace.

Heading south restored rumble of the weathered road. There were couple small hills. I’m happy to say that they were easily subdued. The small climbs were followed by a more aggressive downhill. The bike quickly accelerated to what I guessed to be about 25 mph. I plied brakes to avoid testing my novice handling skills.

A stop sign less than a mile from the truck brought me to a standstill for the first time since the beginning of the ride. Push and pull. A little less wobble before the roll. It was a fairly uneventful final leg back to the starting point. After loading the bike into truck, I look at Strava. What I thought was 12-15

mph pace over the first four miles was nearly 16. What I thought was 18 mph was well over 19. What I thought was 25 peaked at 40. I drooled a little and told myself, “Patience.”

I think it’s time to install the big boy pedals.