Tales of a recumbent newb

MariposaLand

Great story @Katron I live in Little Rock, not to many Cruzbikes between OKC and LTR. I took my first ride on 8/17 on an S40 in San Diego where I picked up the bike. I too was not prepared for the experience but made the mistake of committing to ride on a "safe" bike path in a "low traffic" area with my son. Before the ride I got up early and tried to at least be able to ride and not fall over before we went on the bike path. At first I felt like I was riding a gyroscope and was all over the road. Then they came to pick me up to go to the "safe" bike path. When we got there I could see that everyone in San Diego felt safe there also on a bike path that was maybe 10 feet wide. I felt like the first time I went snow skiing and my "good buddies" convinced me that 15 minutes on the bunny slope was long enough and that we needed to go up the lift to the top of the mountain...then they took off down the black diamond with me following behind. That didn't turn out so good. However, I willed myself down the bike path without killing myself or anyone else. I didn't even fall over and I was the first one back to the truck after riding 25 miles. Pure fear kept me going. After that I went to the San Diego Zoo parking lot and rode several days and actually got some confidence built. The parking lot is the place to learn for sure. Happy riding!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
There isn't much difference between fear and excitement. I always respect the cruzbike. Some days I say "hell yehhhh!" And have a blast and on other days drag the brakes. Usually depending on the crosswind. Remember 30mph is 10feet per second so you don't have much road to play with if you need to brake. :eek:

Katron

Great story @Katron I live in Little Rock, not to many Cruzbikes between OKC and LTR.
Pure fear kept me going. After that I went to the San Diego Zoo parking lot and rode several days and actually got some confidence built. The parking lot is the place to learn for sure. Happy riding!

You’re right. I’ve seen seen a plethora of bents, no other Cruzbikes yet.

I’m too bull headed to stay in the parking lot long. The best way to get better at riding is to ride. That being said, I do plan to take some cones to a lot and work on my handling. I’m getting more and more comfortable making quick twitch maneuvers without braking (or little braking), but low speed maneuvers make my brain freeze. Since my legs won’t stretch, I should probably just unclip my outside leg when I have to make a really tight turn. I irritate myself when I have stop because I misjudged my clipped turn radius.

Ride on!

Katron

Bull-headed? Can you get a helmet over your horns?

Cones for what? For a slalom, or to cordon off a car-free zone?

That’s what I thought the slots in helmet were for.

The cones are for slalom and cornering practice. Everywhere I’ve had difficulties cornering either had curb, a drop off, between barriors with 3 feet of separation, or opposing traffic. The cones provide a less severe penalty if I screw up.

Katron

Day 4 (September 9): What went wrong? I had my SPD road pedals and bike computer installed. I was ready to expand the adventure. That morning’s destination was the 9.6 mile trail around Lake Hefner. It’s my least favorite venue, but it was on the way to work.

I start southbound on the east side of the lake. The wobble had increased on my start again, but everything is still pretty new to me so I didn’t think anything of it. There several road crossings on the east side of the lake. Each crossing has concrete filled pylons jutting up out of the ground. Since the bike was still feeling less than nimble to me, I came to a stop at each crossings, even if the signage did not require it. One stop that was immediately preceded by a sharp turn and misaligned pylons on opposite sides of the road resurrected the duck walk. In all honesty, I have to slow down quite a bit on my DF to navigate that section.

I reached part of the trail that had a fair amount of distance between sets of pylons and was finally able to build some decent speed. I started to hear some chain grinding so I shifted to the large chain ring... or rather I tried to shift to the large chain ring. Mind you, this is my first SRAM group set, but I thought I had figured out the shifting rudiments by that point. Since couldn’t get the large ring I decide to increase my cadence. I hadn’t installed a cadence sensor on that bike yet, but it felt like I was about 80 rpm and usually average about 95. If my cadence got too high, I would back off to avoid bouncing. I didn’t bounce, I swerved. I recovered, but I had a new enemy.

Each time I ramped up the cadence, the swerve would dare me to keep trying that.

Despite not being able to sprint, I averaged 17.1 mph gobbled up some road between me and some riders I saw in front of me. Surprisingly, I set multiple PRs on this ride. I was starting to think that I better suited for riding in the recumbent position. Misadventures aside, this bike continues to intrigue me.

Day 5 (September 11): God created the firmament and it was good. After adjusting the front (top) derailleur, I took the bike to the paths at the OKC Boathouse District to ride on the south side of the river. Both sides of the river are blessed with fun rolling terrain. In exchange for less gravel, loose dirt and sand being rain washed onto the path, the south side offers more tight turns and narrow bridges.

Pedaling from a stop was still less than natural. I headed west on the path since it very wide and smooth as it flowed through a park like sitting area on the river behind the Hampton Inn. About a half mile down the road, there is an area to turn around or branch off to another trail. I slow down to make the turn around as another cyclist is entering from the other trail, so there was a delay in recognizing that my turn is larger than the turnaround circle. I make the most ungraceful stop I have ever made on a bike other than the sudden stop I made when I crashed on one of my uprights.

I let the incoming cyclist pass. While I’m duck walking around the circle another cyclist come from behind and passes me. I didn’t like the way this was beginning. I refocused myself with a successful push, pull, wobble and roll. As I accelerated, there was a tendency to weave across the path a little before smoothing out.

As I passed my starting point, the path narrowed to two 3’ lanes and snaked uphill to an even narrower bridge. The turnaround had killed the urge to slalom at speed through the winding path. After coasting over the bump at the beginning of the bridge I started to pedal. Wobble! There were too many variables, including psychological ones, to discern the cause. I coasted over the bump on the other side of the bridge and start to pedal. A little weaving, but I was in control.

The path between the bridges was relatively benign. Gentle curves and short hills. Occasionally there was a less benign curved hill. The only outright evil I encountered between the bridges was a dip in the path that launched me slightly off the good firmament. Coming off the ground only sent my heart partway into my throat. No harm, no foul. The path was forgiven.

How a path can be constructed where every path is preceded by a tight turn or snaking passage baffled the mind. It never bothered me much on my DF. Navigating the bridge sections on the V2 had filled me with trepidation.

I was able to build decent speed between each bridge. In fact, I had passed the two riders I had encountered at the beginning within the first 4 miles. Even with slowing down for my tentative passing of other riders and pedestrians, it felt like I was reaching milestones along the trail at a faster clip than usual. Before I knew it, I was at the turnaround at the other end of the trail. Again, I was forced to stop to duck walk around the circle. Ugh!

The return trip still had it’s share of weaving, but was generally more comfortable. Probably because I had eased up on my death grip on the handlebars. I was definitely moving faster than my usual pace. Roughly half way back to my starting point, I decided I was definitely going to lower some PRs on this ride. I had made up my mind that I was going to use the terrain to my advantage. Seeing on of the steepest hills on the trail coming up on the other side of an underpass, I attacked going into the downhill. I waited too long to shift to a harder gear. My cadence didn’t match my speed. When an errand pedal stroke hit its apogee, the bike swerve dramatically. I tried to slalom through my descent, but I couldn’t convince my legs that they were not a part of this equation. Another pedal stroke and a little gravel amplified the swerving until the bike went down.

God told an angel to whisper in my ear, “Stay clipped in.” God made the firmament and the firmament was hard! I wished the angel had reminded me to put on the gloves I left sitting on top of my truck’s tonneau cover. It’s amazing how something that happened so fast seemed to take an eternity to end. The woeful sound of aluminum grinding against asphalt. The skin on the heal of my palm seemed to melt away from my flesh as it scraped along the ground in my efforts to keep my torso and head from meeting a similar fate.

As I got back to my feet, I warned myself that I may be running on adrenaline and to expect some pain soon. A quick inspection revealed that there was a small mar on the carbon seat, but the sacrificial bike component was the left pedal. My LG Course Air Lites weren’t so pretty any more, but were still intact. There was not a scratch on my legs (It’s good to have angels at your side). I was missing all layers of skin from an oval on my hand that measured roughly 1.5 inches by 7/8 of an inch. There were scrapes down my left forearm, but no deeply embedded gravel.

I was in shock. Not the physiological shock cause by trauma, but the type cause by disbelief. I was going about 24 mph when I went down. If this had happened on my DF, I would have been calling my wife to transport me to the hospital and then the bike shop. Even I could have ridden the DF, I better had been able to get into the drops, because there is no way I could have keep my hand on the hoods without the skin I was now missing.

I sat back on the bike and got after it again. I felt no ill affects during the remainder of the ride.

My gloves were waiting patiently for my arrival. All I could do was shake my head and laugh. While loading the bike into the truck bed, I realized that the skin on my hand was not the only thing that melted. A large portion of the material on the left side of my bike shorts had also been sacrificed. Unbeknownst to me, at least a third of my left cheek had been exposed for the last 3-4 miles. I found a round wound also about 1.5 inches on my hip. Over the next week and a half, the would would heal in a ‘C’ shape. Did my bike brand me?!

I almost forgot. I had new achievements on 12 out of 13 Strava segments, including 4 PRs after the fall

MariposaLand

You will probably be in pain for a while...but the PRs. You have a great attitude keep it up and your Angles will have a hard time keeping up with you

Katron

I would like to wait to write about my theories until after I’ve tested them, but the theory that is baking my noodle right now will require some time to verify independently. Please weigh in with your experience to validate or correct my theory.

It would seem that when you have both feet clipped in, you have the most theoretical steering range with your feet at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions and a FWD MBB bike. In addition to gaining experience on the bike, it would seem that having good hip and ankle flexibility are essential for good handling skills. This would seem especially true for tight maneuvers at low speed. For the record, my flexibility has waned over the years. I welcome your feedback.

Katron

You will probably be in pain for a while...but the PRs. You have a great attitude keep it up and your Angles will have a hard time keeping up with you

I’m mostly healed up already. The worst part was clothes rubbing the hip while sitting in my office chair.

MariposaLand

I would like to wait to write about my theories until after I’ve tested them, but the theory that is baking my noodle right now will require some time to verify independently. Please weigh in with your experience to validate or correct my theory.

It would seem that when you have both feet clipped in, you have the most theoretical

steering range with your feet at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions and a FWD MBB bike. In addition to gaining experience on the bike, it would seem that having good hip and ankle flexibility are essential for good handling skills. This would seem especially true for tight maneuvers at low speed. For the record, my flexibility has waned over the years. I welcome your feedback.

I amagine there are many nuances to riding the CB. Clipping in is critical to successfully riding the thing. The hip and ankle flexibly would make sense. It just takes time to get over the hump. I’m at the “coniecence incompetence” phase. I put my bike down a couple of days ago when I was turning a slow corner. I suppose that we will be riding without thinking about it before long. Next Saturday is the Little Rock Big Dam Bridge 100 ride. Have you ever ridden it? There will be around 3,000 participants. You ought to come over.

jond

Zen MBB Master

It would seem that when you have both feet clipped in, you have the most theoretical steering range with your feet at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions and a FWD MBB bike. In addition to gaining experience on the bike, it would seem that having good hip and ankle flexibility are essential for good handling skills. This would seem especially true for tight maneuvers at low speed. For the record, my flexibility has waned over the years. I welcome your feedback.

Well you need to do more low speed drills. Your development of skills requires that you do ratz,s drills. Once you have the skills you will be sorted and have fewer moments but be capable of appropriate response. At speed.

You fell because you like we all did had a woh Nellie moment and did not recover.

It’s common for new riders to resume pedalling downhill in to small a gear and crash.

Take your time earn your licence do the drills. Think speed last. And fine tune your vendetta.

In fact I came off the other day by operating my computer too long. Yup feet first it’s a safer way to crash lol.

McWheels

Off the long run
It would seem that when you have both feet clipped in, you have the most theoretical steering range with your feet at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions and a FWD MBB bike. In addition to gaining experience on the bike, it would seem that having good hip and ankle flexibility are essential for good handling skills.
I quite like to have the inner foot of the corner highest; I suppose that comes from DF days when it actually mattered. It also allows the first push to act against the turn of the boom. Also practice changing your lead foot when descending, or even slowly pedal backwards. You will discover hidden meanings and new things to practice. I'm still trying to find things to teach my body about this bike, and many of them are now when it's no hands at all - I've discerned the difference between butt-steer and mid-back steering moments. Still not sure they're helping all the time.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Yes to hip and back steering. It wasn't until my fourth season that I figured out that by weighting the outside edge of the seat pan with my back that I could rail sharp turns much faster on my V20 and S30. This follows the idea of weighting the outside pedal of a DF bike turning sharp turns. The same rule applies, and what a difference!