Texas time Trials or Bust - Whose gonna join me

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Dropping back and training at that level might be a good thing. Meanwhile it's been tough week of training; 1 more day and then it's rest week.

2020-04-25_21-19-44.png 2020-04-25_21-20-19.png 2020-04-25_21-20-00.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Initially not a fan of xert because of its appearance. don't know why but the info just looks so spread out and all over the place and I can't seem to make sense of what I'm looking at. Probably doesn't help that I'm not looking for any info to determine my next ride intensity since I'm just going to ride how I ride anyways though. I like the way golden cheetah gragh appears with it's sharper detail.

ratz

Initially not a fan of xert because of its appearance. don't know why but the info just looks so spread out and all over the place and I can't seem to make sense of what I'm looking at. Probably doesn't help that I'm not looking for any info to determine my next ride intensity since I'm just going to ride how I ride anyways though. I like the way golden cheetah gragh appears with it's sharper detail.

Looks very French, does it not?

Takes a bit but you quickly figure out the 5 things to look at and then get out.

Bill Wightman

One of two things happens when I have data and expectations to go with it 1. I perform exactly to the expected values and end the ride feeling like maybe I could have given another 5-10% or 2.
I don't do much data, just go by heart rate. I remember in one of Larry's summer 12-mile time trials runs that I had been hindered by a few cars at intersections and tried to push my heart rate above 185 and into 200 bpm range in the last mile and that was the only time I have nearly thrown up after a ride. If I have to, I can keep my efforts near maximum with just a knowledge of ride distance and heart rate. Sometimes it is fun to ride a heart rate way above what is sustainable for the distance (i.e. pacing some distance behind younger racers at ~28 mph) and dropping out after ~15 miles into a nice low aerobic pace for the last 45 miles.

Brennus

Shakedown hundo this morning in a little under 5:10 @ a little over 70% max HR. Super flat, tho, with only 37 feet uphill/mile. Still, that's a good effort for my fat butt with my FTP where the trainer tells me it's at.

Makes me think my trainer is lying to me.

Looks like you're really doing some serious training, ratz. I'm not sure I could handle the type of load you are taking on.

ratz

Looks like you're really doing some serious training, ratz. I'm not sure I could handle the type of load you are taking on.
It's really not that much when scaled to ftp. There are only two types of workouts. Easy and Failed. Easy does not equal comfortable :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Shakedown hundo this morning in a little under 5:10 @ a little over 70% max HR. Super flat, tho, with only 37 feet uphill/mile. Still, that's a good effort for my fat butt with my FTP where the trainer tells me it's at.

Makes me think my trainer is lying to me.

i also rode for a little over 5hrs but didn’t reach 100 miles. I did manage 139 feet per mile though :p

everyone has their of pace, what’s important is we each improve and have fun.

Brennus

i also rode for a little over 5hrs but didn’t reach 100 miles. I did manage 139 feet per mile though :p

everyone has their of pace, what’s important is we each improve and have fun.

For sure, when the road turns up you will find me out! Ha! I live in a place called 'flat' so I'd need a parking garage to do what you have accomplished. Well done!

Brennus

Talked with dallas cyclist about this course & he told me he'd never do it again. Too dicey. Talked with the guy who created the event in Glen Rose & he said he just took the course mostly off a Goat Neck t-shirt & that parts of it were sketchy I should definitely get out and ride the course before the race. So I was feeling really nervous about this course! Put on some bigger tires and drove over to Glen Rose to give it a scout.

Those roads are WAY BETTER than I normally ride on. Ha! :-D There is one spot that has some pot holes at the bottom of a descent. Even the chip seal stretches are pretty good. I'm glad I went out and rode the course. Had a great ride & met some of the other folks that will be racing. It's put my mind at ease. I put the 25's back on. And swapped my cassette for a bigger one.

Right now the forecast is for perfect weather. Hope that holds.

Registration ends tonight, I think? But, honestly, if you're not registered don't bother. :-D I got this one.

Aikigreg

Bob I didn't know you were going! Or that you'd moved. I love in fort worth and will be there. This will be my first race in 5 years so I just entered the 1 lap tough I think I could do ok in the 6 hour. The course is easy to follow, has some hard climbs, rough as hell Texas chip seal, and some traffic in the last 2 miles as you go through town. But it's pretty, low traffic for most of the course, and extremely well run by my friends. I'm excited and have no real demands I'm putting on myself other than going as hard as I can, whatever that is, finishing, and having fun. My number is six eight two, 4655424 if anyone is there and needs anything. I probably won't leave the house until noon Saturday. Tear it up!

Aikigreg

Incidentally the course was smooth and I only saw like 3 cars. It was awesome. Where were you guys? Here's my report from the 1 lap.
Tejas 500 Race report Well I figured on 1h45min, hoped for 1h30min, but finished in 1hr25!! Result! Especially with a good headwind in the hardest part. I forget how much climbing there is on this Glen Rose course.
3rd in age group, 19th male, first and only recumbent.
I did decently at not blowing myself up on the first half. Started 2/3 from the back of the group and quickly passed by many. Started catching them back after 5 miles and played cat and mouse with several until I was either left behind or left them behind on the back half. Considering where I came from and having only been back on the bike since April I'm quite happy.
I was sad to learn that Dan was no longer running it. There was no tshirt and I was only given a ribbon, no trophy. That was disappointing. Also sad that I didn't know a single person there and saw no other bents bar one trike.
I was excited to see the Central texas Major Taylor cycling team. If you don't know, Major Taylor was kinda the Jesse Owens of cycling. You should look him up. Black cyclists are something of unicorns in cycling. Seeing such a big group gives me some hope.

Brennus

Smashed the course record, which was more than a decade old. Achieved the RAAM qualifying standard which is something nobody else has ever been able to accomplish on this course.
Left a lot of meat on the bone with a major mechanical issue on lap 5, which was my own goofy fault. Plus a lot more stopped time than needed to happen. On just a normal-type ride with decent weather I can go over 400 on this course no problem. Did this event 100% solo both on the road (of course) but also in the pit. As events get longer...6hr, 12hr, 24hr, etc...it's obvious having some sort of crew is more important.

Brennus

Left a lot of meat on the bone with a major mechanical issue on lap 5, which was my own goofy fault. Plus a lot more stopped time than needed to happen. On just a normal-type ride with decent weather I can go over 400 on this course no problem. Did this event 100% solo both on the road (of course) but also in the pit. As events get longer...6hr, 12hr, 24hr, etc...it's obvious having some sort of crew is more important.
I now have the course record at what are the hardest two RAAM-qualification-eligible courses (or so they say!). Proof that even a widebody can find success on a hilly course. Just gotta choose the correct equipment.