THE NEW Q IS COMING

Giloun

See my DIY headrest for Q45 here at the Innovators Workshop forum, titled 'DIY headrest for Q45"
Seems I cannot post hyperlinks directly here?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in the fact the rear arm is a bit tight for the spread - ill have to investigate this from a manufacturing standpoint for the next run. I have noticed it being a bit tight as well but have been able to get the wheels in by hand without problems.

Robert

Jeffrey Ritter

First timer here. Competetive runner for 35+years but knees caused me to give it up 9 years ago. 18 months of climbing the walls before I started on a bike. A bit of racing, gravel grinding and mtb trails and after 7 years couldn't deal w the saddle issues. Borrowed a friends stick bike which was easy to ride but heavy and clunky. Found CB online and jumped on the S40 frameset. Now I'm learning . . .
Welcome to the Tribe. This is only my second summer on a Silvio 3.0 and, once you find the balance and learn how to climb comfortably, you will be very pleased.

Frisard

So, I like the more upright position in these adventure bikes. They are not race bikes, they are touring bikes. Classic touring bikes have a much more upright position than race bikes.

BTW: My favorite all time reaction I got when riding my QX100 in a more reclined position. It came from a carpenter working on a house I road past in a neighborhood on a Saturday morning, “Hey senor, how do you manage to stay awake when riding that thing?” “el sábado por la mañana no es tan fácil mi amigo.”

Last edited:

dtseng

Q45? yes, mine is VERY tight too. The spacing is about 97mm and the hub O.L.D. (Over-Lock-nut Distance) is 105mm.
I used this method to open it up a bit.

Be very careful! Aluminum alloy has very little plasticity: you bend it and it breaks. Spread the arms open 2 to 3 mm may not be a problem for such a long bars; 33 mm could be too much.

Last edited:

Velocivixen

Hi. I’m new to Recumbents and am considering a Q45. Wondering what the widest 26” tires this bike will take? Will 650b wheels fit? Would it take drop handlebars like on the S40? Thanks. I’ve got lots of research to do.

Velocivixen

@benphyr - Thanks. When I was signing up for a different bike forum years ago I couldn’t thing of a good handle. Mr. Velocivixen thought up the name and it stuck. So it’s the handle I use on all the bike forums I spend time on, as well as my Flickr account which has exclusively bike stuff.

I’m reading the Q45 review in Adventure Cyclist’s July edition. It has the review by the managing editor of ‘BentRider Online.
My favorite quotes:
“fits the bill.”
“Cruzbike has definitely stepped up its game”
“worth every penny”
“The Q45 is hands down my favorite Cruzbike to ride in ‘daily use’ situations.”
“Cruzbikes can climb!”
“performance exceeded my expectations.”

Velocivixen

@Mathew Fy - Honestly I’m not sure a Cruzbike is for me at this point. I’d need one to practice on for more than a week and not something so road oriented. I got one loaned to me but I only got so far before giving it back.

Maybe I’ll go down this avenue again some day....

I’m reading the Q45 review in Adventure Cyclist’s July edition. It has the review by the managing editor of ‘BentRider Online.

I suspect this may be a publication of Bryan’s Q45 review over on BentRider. I know he seemed very enthusiastic about it.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Refresher: The New Q 2019 is here!

q45-slider-01_06d05283-3eeb-4f0d-a16c-93d7f545016b_x700.jpg

https://cruzbike.com/products/q45

Once again Adventure Cyclist highlights this bike in their March Travel Guide issue:
“The suspended Q45 from Cruzbike is going to get some questions - the brand’s front-wheel drivetrain doesn’t look like anything most cyclists have ever seen. But that unique drivetrain configuration is what gives Cruzbikes their reputation as excellent climbers by offering more leverage than you might get on other recumbents. Throw on the available rear rack and put 26 x 1.75” tires on the tarmac. A benefit of the Cruzbike design is (relatively) easy packability, thanks to the fact that half the frame is effectively a swing arm.”

doron

Q45 arrived early Monday AM
Was out riding late afternoon.

Definitely a different ride.
Quite wobbly on Monday, and only a bit better Tuesday, although there were still a couple times I had to lay the bike down as my balance went wonky (and one low speed crash).
Wednesday, only one time bike and I disagreed about what we were doing - end result both bike and operator got reacquainted with pavement. Again, not at speed -- not being habituated to a grip shifter I inadvertently up (?) shifted to a smaller sprocket and momentum died.
Overall, bike and operator mostly on same page; wobbling not too bad.

Today, day four, put in a 6 mile tour around adjacent neighborhood in the AM. Practiced fundamentals, repeatedly; wondering, trying to remember, what it was like 55 years ago learning to ride my first bike.
Noticed my poorest control comes at the slowest speeds - focused on that for a spell.

Went for another 3.5 miles in the PM. A few more of these excursions and I'll feel comfortable enough to dare the nearby bike trails. I'm still not as straight line riding as I desire - but it is coming.
Also, stability with one hand out for turn signals is sketchy; as is looking most anywhere but straight, or nearly so, ahead. Sheesh!

Looking forward to the first serious long distance trek around town and then up the valley. I can see this bike being an answer to the arm, shoulder, and other pains I endured on my other bikes. Also, only half way thru the sprockets and I've already hit 14 mph with out trying. I'm a-thinkin' there may be some speed in this hefty brute.

Hey

I'm considering to go also for Q45 and trying to get clearer picture about the bike especially if they are so good as a climber in compare to other 2 wheel bents.
Will appreciate if can share some of your long term experience with the bike ? will you recomaded to go for it as touring bike combine paved and off road trails?

Thx a lot

woodguy

Hi Doron - I bought my Q45 the first day they were released in 2018. My previous bents were a Bike E (not an E bike), and a LWB. I was inspired to make the switch by promises of more efficiency & better climbing. After a few months of learning, I rode Biking Across Kansas - 600 miles in 8 days. I learned that Kansas is not flat, and the Q45 performed well.

The only changes I made to the bike after that was installing an 11-42 cassette(it had originally come with 11-36, but the new ones are 11-42 I believe), and putting on a Thor seat. I had experienced some recumbutt on the Kansas ride, and wanted to minimize that for my next adventure. In 2019 I rode Coast to Coast from San Diego to St Augustine Florida over 52 days. There were a couple hills coming out of San Diego, and climbing to the Continental Divide that I couldn’t do, but I think that had more to do with my size & conditioning than the bike. Overall I had no problems with the bike. If you’re interested, I think my blog For that ride is still active: jimscruiseacrossamerica.blogspot.com.

Since then I continue to ride, but with less ambitious goals. I did just last week ride 2 days on the Mississippi River Trail with some friends from my Coast to Coast ride. They are doing the whole trail - New Orleans to Bemidji, MN, but I just rode along when they were in my neighborhood.

Most of my riding has been on pavement, although some some consider Texas chip seal roads worse than an off road trail. I was definitely more comfortable there than my fellow DF riders. I do ride some Rails to Trials gravel near my house with no problem. I am signed up for the Cruzbike 2021 3000 mile challenge, and although I’m currently not on track, I expect to make it.

Hope this gives you some of what you were interested in regarding the Q45. I have no regrets.