THE NEW Q IS COMING

woodguy

My Q45 arrived today, right on schedule. Opened the box, and noticed the derailleur cable is routed incorrectly as pointed out above by Robert. Thanks for alerting us to this problem.

KneeDrachen

Okay so I decided the trade-off of no sleep vs. building the Q was worth it. Fingers crossed for a quiet day at work!

Notes: Don't think you're slick and put the kickstand on in the beginning, thinking you'll save time and effort at the end and not have to drop the shock to access the kickstand plate. Why? When you stand the bike up prior to installing the wheels, it'll keep falling over. DAMHIK. Just wait until the end.

1. My Q45 had the derailleur cable routing error and the washer error. Simple fix, no biggie although the derailleur will require a bit more fine tuning. As it is, the jockey wheel is nowhere near the 11 tooth cog.

2. My rear brake cable (and housing) is about 10" too long. No biggie, just have to pick up some ferrules. I also have to replace another ferrule since I needed to snip the end off of the derailleur cable to route it though the "tunnel" for proper placement.

3. The front brake cable and housing are about 4" too long for the housing to sit properly in the stops. Again, a simple fix.

4. Paint looks nice, a little bit of excess on the rear drop outs which made seating the rear wheel a bit of a challenge but nothing crazy.

5. Pay attention to the orientation of the seat pan in the video when the bracket is installed. I ended up installing the bracket backwards the first time. Tip: The swinging "arms" are on the same side of the seat pan as the angled face of the seat pan.

6. My pedals shipped with dry threads, and I mean bone dry, threads. Have some grease handy.

7. I needed about 12" of velcro to be able to completely cover all of the pre-installed velcro on the seat cover. We have some from school projects so no issue there.

8. Remember to remove the card board spacers from the brake calipers if you've never installed disc brakes before.

I'm going to stop by my LBS (that a good friend owns) to help me dial in the rear derailleur and then I'll work on getting the brake cable set up.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Glad I'm not the only one obsessive enough to give up a night's sleep in favor of a new build the night before a work day. Have a second cup of coffee and don't make any important decisions!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Ouch!

An aside question - how are you uploading images like this? Site tells me all my images are too large so I have to filter them through photoshop to knock down resolution. Makes it impossible to do from my phone. Any recommendations?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I will be eagerly following all these as they get built. With how the S40 type of front end adjusts, getting the cable housing lengths right was a challenge and I decided to err on a bit too long as opposed to having them be too short for a portion of the riding population. I have found that the cables can be gathered and zip tied together up in front of the headtube and the excess won't be an issue for people who cannot or don't want to shorten them.

Robert

cyberphage

Q45 arrived early Monday AM
Was out riding late afternoon.

Definitely a different ride.
Quite wobbly on Monday, and only a bit better Tuesday, although there were still a couple times I had to lay the bike down as my balance went wonky (and one low speed crash).
Wednesday, only one time bike and I disagreed about what we were doing - end result both bike and operator got reacquainted with pavement. Again, not at speed -- not being habituated to a grip shifter I inadvertently up (?) shifted to a smaller sprocket and momentum died.
Overall, bike and operator mostly on same page; wobbling not too bad.

Today, day four, put in a 6 mile tour around adjacent neighborhood in the AM. Practiced fundamentals, repeatedly; wondering, trying to remember, what it was like 55 years ago learning to ride my first bike.
Noticed my poorest control comes at the slowest speeds - focused on that for a spell.

Went for another 3.5 miles in the PM. A few more of these excursions and I'll feel comfortable enough to dare the nearby bike trails. I'm still not as straight line riding as I desire - but it is coming.
Also, stability with one hand out for turn signals is sketchy; as is looking most anywhere but straight, or nearly so, ahead. Sheesh!

Looking forward to the first serious long distance trek around town and then up the valley. I can see this bike being an answer to the arm, shoulder, and other pains I endured on my other bikes. Also, only half way thru the sprockets and I've already hit 14 mph with out trying. I'm a-thinkin' there may be some speed in this hefty brute.

cyberphage

I would be a 1st time recumbent rider.
Started looking 5+ years ago then set quest aside; took up search again last year after TOS forced me to shelve (hang) new DF bike. This time around I came across Cruzbikes; test rode one in Post Falls, ID - EPIC FAIL!

Still, as one forumite posted in another thread: if others can do this then I should be able to add my name to the roster. Honestly, I had my doubts.

Anyway, I seem to be on my way. oh joy.

Brad R

Keep practicing. I had ridden a Haluzak Horizon for a couple years. I had a much harder time mastering the Haluzak than the T50. Part of it was that the Haluzak was my first recumbent two wheeler. Part of it was that the frame of the mesh seat made it hard to get a foot firmly on the ground. The hard shell seats on these bikes make it much easier to get your feet on the ground at stops. So holding the bike up at stop and getting ready to launch is easier.

Another thing I noticed recently is that the Cruzbike riding skill doesn’t disappear over the winter. The first ride of the year on my T50 felt very comfortable and natural. The first ride of the year on the Haluzak was much more of an adventure.

It will feel completely normal soon.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
First bent owner about 10 days in. My first bent ride was on a borrowed Bachetta Giro as part of my bent research. Stable and easy to ride right out of the gate but felt like driving a dump truck at the Indy 500. I'm on an S40 so more bent than the T but I'm sure we're all going through the same learning curve. Slow and steady seems to be the course!