THE NEW Q IS COMING

KneeDrachen

tight as in the spacing between the drop outs requires a bit of muscle to spread the swingarm apart to get the wheel in place.

NeaL

Guru
How many of you are first time bent riders?
I'm not sure about the parameters of your question.

First time recumbent riders with the new Cruzbike Q45 being our first one?

Coming into riding 'bents for the first time with a Cruzbike of any model?

I got my first 'bent last year in July of 2017; a used Cruzbike Sofrider off of Craigslist. I had just recently tried a couple 'bents for the first time; a short wheel base one and a long wheel base one, both rear wheel drive. The Cruzbike which I ended up buying was the first one I had ever seen. A bit of online research convinced me that it's unique characteristics solved a lot of the things which I had found to be shortcomings in regular 'bents.

Next I found I was still too heavy and out of shape for getting my Cruzbike up hills without needing to dismount. I got a recumbent trike last January to get me through this stage to better fitness because it doesn't matter how slow you go on a trike, you're not going to fall over. Once I no longer "need" the trike for that purpose, I'll probably keep it or get a better one because I like what both bikes and trikes have to offer. They are not direct replacements for each other.
I've already shared elsewhere how I've a highly aggressive strain of N+1, now. I want more 'bents, both bikes and trikes. Also both delta and tadpole trikes. Velomobiles, too. I'm only 8 months since getting my first 'bent.
Strange, rear wheel drive 'bent bikes do not yet hold any appeal for me.

Last edited:

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
The seat base mount appears to be nearly identical to the T50. However, these prototypes don’t show the series of holes in the piece that connects the rear seat base to the rear frame mount. So, they may or may not plan to have the angle of the seat base adjustable. The note specifically mentioned that the seat back was adjustable but did not mention any adjustment for the base.

Also, the skewers that attach the seat go through the center of the T50 frame tube. These pictures show the skewers going through tubes welded to the top of the frame for the Q45.

This will probably raise the seat height of the Q relative to the T.

The T suffers (at least for me) from having the frame tube rising at too steep of an angle too close to the front of the seat. This puts some sensitive body parts too close to the tube.

The Q appears to be much better in this geometry as the frame tube does not bend as sharply upward as it does on the T and the seat base will be higher above the tube which should provide a more comfortable separation between me and the rising part of the frame tube.

I hope the seat is more comfortable than the one on the T50. Or maybe the pad just needs to be better and wider. A bike meant for touring should not cause recumbutt after 30 minutes with the stock seat and seat pad.

I saw your note about recumbutt after 30 minutes. For me on my T50 it was less the pad than the angle of recline. Once my LBS cut down stays and struts to give me a recline of about 42 or 43 degrees, I had no more fanny pain. I did also switch pads to a Ventisit, but I don't know how much that had to do with it. I love the Ventisit, but I think the change in angle made most of the difference.

Wes

I asked my question about people being new bent riders because many posts seemed to be from new bent riders. I was pleased to see more people moving to bents.
I've been riding my Tour Easy for almost 40 years. I did a test drive on a Q100 just before xmas and didn't have much trouble riding it, but loved the ride.
Can't wait for delivery of my Q45.

NeaL

Guru
I asked my question about people being new bent riders because many posts seemed to be from new bent riders. I was pleased to see more people moving to bents.
I've been riding my Tour Easy for almost 40 years.

I first learned of recumbent bicycles back around 1985 and really liked the idea. I never actually saw one until maybe 1999, outside a bicycle shop in Seattle. The next bike I bought was a Trek Y3 in 2001, thinking that its front & rear suspension would solve the saddle discomfort which I had grown to strongly dislike. It didn't.
Since then, I hadn't bought myself any other bicycles until the Sofrider last summer. So aside from any actual ownership and experience, I still think of myself as being a 'bent rider since 1985. It only just recently got off of my to-do list.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
The Cruzbike Quest v2 (Q451) was my first two-wheeled bent, almost 4 years ago. I could ride it the first day, but it took me several months of drills and neighborhood rides to really be confident (I was also slow learning to ride a bike as a kid). Now I can ride it one-handed for as long as I care to, and I practice no-hands riding for 30 seconds or so on most rides. I liked my Q so much that I bought a Silvio 1.5 a year later, then upgraded last year to an S30.

woodguy

I've been riding bents since 2015. Before that I didn't get any real exercise, but I knew that should change. My daughter-in-law does Ironman, so encouraged me to do triathlons. Problem was I don't like running or swimming, and DF bikes were literally a pain in the butt. Once I discovered recumbents, I was hooked. Now it seems like I buy one every year. Started with a used Bike E, then got a LWB. I even bought a tandem recumbent hoping to inspire my wife (didn't work very well). The Q45 will be my 1st Cruzbike. It has arrived, and I hope to get it assembled later today.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
First timer here. Competetive runner for 35+years but knees caused me to give it up 9 years ago. 18 months of climbing the walls before I started on a bike. A bit of racing, gravel grinding and mtb trails and after 7 years couldn't deal w the saddle issues. Borrowed a friends stick bike which was easy to ride but heavy and clunky. Found CB online and jumped on the S40 frameset. Now I'm learning . . .

Giloun

Any of you noticing the swingarm is VEEEEEEERY tight to get the rear wheel in and out?
Q45? yes, mine is VERY tight too. The spacing is about 97mm and the hub O.L.D. (Over-Lock-nut Distance) is 105mm.
I used this method to open it up a bit.

Attachments

• DSC09598.jpg
    DSC09598.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind

My Quest was my first bent. I had 6 bicycles in my apartment when I bought my Quest. I learned how to ride the Q with my first moments being in doubt about, but every ride since have made me a little more adapted and comfortable. Loved it, and ten months later bought an X100.:D Oh, and those 6 bikes are gone now!

This time around I came across Cruzbikes; test rode one in Post Falls, ID - EPIC FAIL!

Most cannot just TEST ride a Cruzbike. This seems to be the reason these bikes are not stocked and sold at your LBS. One needs to learn how to ride a FWD bike, then you can test ride!o_O

Everyone is different, but one thing common with adults is we sometimes over think or just let our thinking get in our way.

So the learning process that Cruzbike has on this website AND going through the steps of Learning To Ride was what worked for me as well as many others new to Cruzbike.

Q45? yes, mine is VERY tight too. The spacing is about 97mm and the hub O.L.D. (Over-Lock-nut Distance) is 105mm.
I used this method to open it up a bit.

How much spread did you get? I did the same with my M5 and managed to spread the 130mm as far as 132.5, about halfway between the likely hub spacings

Giloun

How much spread did you get? I did the same with my M5 and managed to spread the 130mm as far as 132.5, about halfway between the likely hub spacings
Isn't M5 carbon fibre?
It started out as about 95mm. When I did it, I kept the shock and the screws on so that it is the aft free part of the swing arm is being spread. It was strong and it sprang back to where I started. I spread it to about 130mm and I can only get about 97mm after it sprung back. However it appears easier to take it in and out after that.

Isn't M5 carbon fibre?
It started out as about 95mm. When I did it, I kept the shock and the screws on so that it is the aft free part of the swing arm is being spread. It was strong and it sprang back to where I started. I spread it to about 130mm and I can only get about 97mm after it sprung back. However it appears easier to take it in and out after that.

There is an M5 CHR (Carbon High Racer). I have the M5 M-Racer which is Cr-Mo

KneeDrachen

Yup, Q45. Very, very tight. Brakes are adjusted, haven't been able to get it scheduled for the RD (well, ONLY derailleur) to be adjusted since I am at wit's end with the alignment issues. There's something I am missing, and I cannot figure it out. I either lose the big cog or the little cog and my derailleur positioning looks good (to me). Cable tension seems okay, but I'm going to get it in for a sanity check (for myself).

dtseng

6470104765_a6bf4f4cd8_b (2).jpg Q45-slider-04.jpg From esthetics point of view, which one do you like? In addition to the hefty weight of the 2nd one, the handlebar and the seat appear to be overly high. Mounting the handlebar directly on the steering column is probably the reason for the giraffe steerer tube. The top end of the steering column should have a diameter of 28.6 mm to be able to use the common stems. The one on the left uses a stem to raise the handlebar. For this very reason, I commend Emeljay's mod.

Last edited:

woodguy

View attachment 6573 View attachment 6574 From esthetics point of view, which one do you like? In addition to the hefty weight of the 2nd one, the handlebar and the seat appear to be overly high.
Strictly esthetics I would pick the one on the left, but when you add in functionality, for me the Q45 on the right wins. Higher seat = better vision, which is great for most of my riding. My legs are long enough to reach the ground so that isn't a problem. The handlebar height works well with the higher seat. If I want to race, I can drop the seat angle for better aero, and lose 15lb off my engine. That should equalize.

I don't recognize the model on the left, but I've only been around for a few months. What is it?

Rampa

Guru
Should also point out that Lucia and Michael rode Q45s in Japan and didn't have any issues with it being to tall. It's stated at 25 inches, and then will be a bit lower with suspension sag. The Q45 is probably adjustable for a wider range of seat angles as well.

Think of it as a Jeep.

dtseng

I agree that functionality is more important than esthetics if one cannot have both at the same time. I am just trying to break the barrier before placing my order for a new Q. I'll wait for user reports of Q45.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
View attachment 6573 View attachment 6574 From esthetics point of view, which one do you like? In addition to the hefty weight of the 2nd one, the handlebar and the seat appear to be overly high...

Agreed, seat configuration allows for easy adjustment for the masses but also leaves room for improvement by those who want to improvise. Also probably allows for easier seat upgrades.

View attachment 6573 View attachment 6574 ...Mounting the handlebar directly on the steering column is probably the reason for the giraffe steerer tube. The top end of the steering column should have a diameter of 28.6 mm to be able to use the common stems. The one on the left uses a stem to raise the handlebar...

When lowering the seat back there is probably simultaneous room for cutting down the "giraffe" steerer tube. (I like your description, very apt.)

My understanding is that the curve above the bottom bracket stiffens things up significantly and is part of the improvements on the Q45 as the front end transmission of the S and V models moves its way down to the Q45.

And the connection of the handlebar directly to the steering column again improves stiffness, weight savings, and force transfer between handlebar and

Thirdly, the increased diameter of the steering column aids in stiffness at lower weight.

...I commend Emeljay's mod.

Three cheers for Emeljay whose mod. is appreciated and whose documentation of his mod. makes me appreciate the pre-packaged powertrain of the Q45 even more.

... I am just trying to break the barrier before placing my order for a new Q. I'll wait for user reports of Q45.

I personally see all of the changes made to the Q to be positive improvements (except for possibly the paint schemes). I encourage you to take the plunge and purchase a Cruzbike in your favourite flavour.

Cheers,

Ben.