The Perfect Recumbent-DF Draft?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
One of these days I'll come across a bent fast enough that I can draft while on my DF
You probably need a recumbent rider friend similar to your age and power. Then a recumbent that is not too low like an S30 or S40.

It feels great to be synchronised and glide like a single unit as you overtake other riders!

Don1

Guru
That almost looks like something people would buy...... Although the guy Infront would like to have a power meter for the rear person, just to be sure they were putting in the effort.....

Last edited:

DocS

Guru
I know this is an old thread, but still interesting...
I ride with one guy who can draft off me very well. He's using Aero bars and is a former racer. I really like riding with him, because he challenges me to go faster and is a strong rider. When we get together, the pack falls behind very quickly and we only see them at the end of the ride...
Of course, when he's pulling, I have no problem drafting off him. In the declines, I usually back off a little, so he can hang on to my wheel, but otherwise, we work like a machine.

Blessings,
DocS

3bs

whereabouts unknown
It's mostly about trust. A couple of the guys that ride df with me overlap wheels.
Today we had a v20, a tarmac comp and a TiCa in a tight triangle going 20. We werecwere enough to chat in normal voice. No room for big mistakes

benphyr

Guru-me-not
He didn’t know you can’t draft behind a ‘bent. Sounds like a story I once heard about no one telling you they can’t climb.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Considering the $, effort, time people spend in things that will get them a watt or two wouldn’t the small draft from a bent be significant enough?

McWheels

Off the long run
It would be, but the psychological aspect of still having wind in your face fools almost everyone into thinking there's no draft. If our faces were on our legs, however...

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The challenge with this simple type of tandem are two-fold (as per Sheldon Brown): stiffness - twisting because they are only held together by the rear/front axle! (scary) AND they have to be able to pivot on that same axle for road grade transitions (speed bump would first lift the middle wheel, then one end then the middle wheel again and the reverse going over a pothole or dip. But the huge advantage is (bird language) cheap, cheap, cheap and easily available parts.

PS what are those blue tires, they look sharp!