Thor Easy GS Medium mount to S40

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I received the Easy GS Medium seat today from Thor for my S40. Placing it on the S40, I see that the mounting wings above the Perez clamp in the back are too wide for the the reinforcement rails on the bottom of the seat. I don't see any reasonable way to mount this without cutting off the wings. There's a similar problem with the front mounting wings, only not as dramatic. I've found guidance on this forum for V20's and other models but nothing for the S40. I attached some photos. The first shows the back mounting wings at the top of the photo and the front wings at the bottom.

uiE3gisA28DV1PyNA

The next photo shows the interference of the rear wings with the seat ribs:

HGHHNGFu91zQxw6F9

Another angle of the rear interference:

ECQz8GsT5exY5JEV9

suzdqAK6YYdSKESw5

Do I have to cut the ends of the wings off and redrill the holes closer to the weld of the wing? I see all the ideas for using shims but I don't see how to do that in this case without modifying the wing length. Hope the photos are working. Don't see them in the preview. Thanks.

Greg S

I didn't take pictures as I did the install but I have a Thor sport on my S40. I did have to cut the wings. After cutting, I was still able to use the front ones to mount the seat. The rear ones are cut just about down to the welds but I was able to drill through the remaining tabs and put a bolt through each.

I used sorbothane pads underneath both mount points and on the body where the seat comes in contact with it.

For my 2016 V20 I only use bolts on the front, velcro for the rest. It works perfectly. For my 2020 S40, (the Thor seat hasn't been ordered yet) there are no rear wings, so no cutting will be needed.
B.H.D., can you show how the Easy GS attaches on the front?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I didn't take pictures as I did the install but I have a Thor sport on my S40. I did have to cut the wings. After cutting, I was still able to use the front ones to mount the seat. The rear ones are cut just about down to the welds but I was able to drill through the remaining tabs and put a bolt through each.

I used sorbothane pads underneath both mount points and on the body where the seat comes in contact with it.

Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to cut off the tabs, but before making a permanent modification to my frame, I thought I would ask. Is the sorbothane just held in place by friction or did you add adhesive or something? Did you only place it at the connection points or down the length of the seat?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
For my 2016 V20 I only use bolts on the front, velcro for the rest. It works perfectly. For my 2020 S40, (the Thor seat hasn't been ordered yet) there are no rear wings, so no cutting will be needed.
B.H.D., can you show how the Easy GS attaches on the front?

Hey, I also got my V20 in 2016. And, yes, it does not have connecting wings on the rear. The frame conforms perfectly with the seat so velcro will connect it's whole length. I think that even if I remove the rear connection wings from the S40, the new Thor Easy GS won't match the frame perfectly and will leave no-contact regions. Probably need to bolt it down in the back. As Greg said, I can probably cut off a portion of the tabs but leave enough room for a bolt hole right next to the weld.

I hate this kind of tinkering, but no one's going to do it for me. I just want to ride...

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I have S40 with Thor seatt. I cut down rear wings. I then drilled 2 holes on the seat and zip tied around the frame. No issue. Lower part of the seat does have 2 bolts of course.
Did you use velcro along the length or was it just connected at the two ends?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Did you use velcro along the length or was it just connected at the two ends?
I did not use the velcro along the length. For the top part, I used a putty of the thermoplastic pellets to put in between the Thor seat and frame and push it down hard so that the top part of the seat rests at along about 2-3 inches of plastic conformed to both contours of the seat and the frame. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermopl...fix=thermoplastic,aps,241&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13 I suppose I could have put a strip of velcro there.
So basically it's 2 bolts at the bottom and zip tie at the top. I have been riding like that for 2000 miles with no issues.

Greg S

Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to cut off the tabs, but before making a permanent modification to my frame, I thought I would ask. Is the sorbothane just held in place by friction or did you add adhesive or something? Did you only place it at the connection points or down the length of the seat?
The sorbothane at the top and bottom is held in place by the bolts, the piece on the frame is glued on (cyanoacrylate aka "Super Glue" works on sorbothane). I used this cut to size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U91VI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I did not use the velcro along the length. For the top part, I used a putty of the thermoplastic pellets to put in between the Thor seat and frame and push it down hard so that the top part of the seat rests at along about 2-3 inches of plastic conformed to both contours of the seat and the frame. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermoplastic+beads&crid=20C14LOOGEXLA&sprefix=thermoplastic,aps,241&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13 I suppose I could have put a strip of velcro there.
So basically it's 2 bolts at the bottom and zip tie at the top. I have been riding like that for 2000 miles with no issues.
Interesting. I would think that the thermoplastic shim would also help at the front end. For the back end, it sounds like you pushed the seat all the way down to the frame and tie-wrapped it so that the plastic was not really working as a shim, but only as a stabilizer.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Interesting. I would think that the thermoplastic shim would also help at the front end. For the back end, it sounds like you pushed the seat all the way down to the frame and tie-wrapped it so that the plastic was not really working as a shim, but only as a stabilizer.
True. Good point. Whatever it is, it works. :)

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I copied my method from this thread. It has great detailed instructions.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/tiltmaniacs-s30v2-build.12220/
I did see this post and it was great! but it was for a S30V2 and I was hoping to see something for the S40, as they are somewhat different. He used a plastic mold in the center of the seat, probably to support the middle, since it is suspended between the two ends. In my case, the DI2 battery is located in the hole in the middle of the frame under the seat. I worried that if I put a blob of plastic over it, I won't be able to easily access the battery if I need to. I'll figure something out...

XKAH2v9vjq8-Cy8JreOEtCzJbGB2UtE6-Bt4eI0AYt7PbCcyX6l72QKXv4sZcmbH4Ithv3T8vdzEFCPiTXpmjlh6Kn7i_DQ1mkt-EqfysBsAEknnNjfH5o8eRy__TS5pwnGxR3L1yAydQCtCmDTiAEmq8YvRx3Ua6HTzWghDs642mh1jnNkbd_LRyBzxKt9hT3IXZGqxStgEjGqQT29y_37yS0n6tQp_mE-5ve1Ock56by0bh7_-hn-mnfMqLjdYFfySdZizqtW5KP6_7cx2LlM5GhOA0_U2kDiXUhtYxqPHBUpA7M7cF0YrWtGh0GXCPnozJIXqW11rs97gMgPCR7B2HYIT23BXK8h_qcwn0NATU0hgS73GNEwcARq14Yiau2aT4V-YBFpeAtcL8yzlkBJIpPR6vcMEapZKQXaEYKmPWJ6mTvGrM163DYU4yuktthoA3NktiaEC60QaLMC3_pKjODqoFoquwVOE3BT14NxU6qFwg0F27slPzz8hHuL_sqLpSZSzOxgg_XOP1Na-S0Int5RkDmLRBlR4IehzT_M4eJS5z2eDIHssB0w1n8sehtmWYS3a1YnJzQdDIgnIkJCvezQVmeBZqltfVkzVD81jqYEXWcHySAT4jGusFpPMfya8Yw8Qgr0gs_r5bGggF3hkCy4LOi_JFOCyqepH9TEu4KnE5KeM_b3zaV1nUw=w1992-h1494-no

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I did see this post and it was great! but it was for a S30V2 and I was hoping to see something for the S40, as they are somewhat different. He used a plastic mold in the center of the seat, probably to support the middle, since it is suspended between the two ends. In my case, the DI2 battery is located in the hole in the middle of the frame under the seat. I worried that if I put a blob of plastic over it, I won't be able to easily access the battery if I need to. I'll figure something out...

XKAH2v9vjq8-Cy8JreOEtCzJbGB2UtE6-Bt4eI0AYt7PbCcyX6l72QKXv4sZcmbH4Ithv3T8vdzEFCPiTXpmjlh6Kn7i_DQ1mkt-EqfysBsAEknnNjfH5o8eRy__TS5pwnGxR3L1yAydQCtCmDTiAEmq8YvRx3Ua6HTzWghDs642mh1jnNkbd_LRyBzxKt9hT3IXZGqxStgEjGqQT29y_37yS0n6tQp_mE-5ve1Ock56by0bh7_-hn-mnfMqLjdYFfySdZizqtW5KP6_7cx2LlM5GhOA0_U2kDiXUhtYxqPHBUpA7M7cF0YrWtGh0GXCPnozJIXqW11rs97gMgPCR7B2HYIT23BXK8h_qcwn0NATU0hgS73GNEwcARq14Yiau2aT4V-YBFpeAtcL8yzlkBJIpPR6vcMEapZKQXaEYKmPWJ6mTvGrM163DYU4yuktthoA3NktiaEC60QaLMC3_pKjODqoFoquwVOE3BT14NxU6qFwg0F27slPzz8hHuL_sqLpSZSzOxgg_XOP1Na-S0Int5RkDmLRBlR4IehzT_M4eJS5z2eDIHssB0w1n8sehtmWYS3a1YnJzQdDIgnIkJCvezQVmeBZqltfVkzVD81jqYEXWcHySAT4jGusFpPMfya8Yw8Qgr0gs_r5bGggF3hkCy4LOi_JFOCyqepH9TEu4KnE5KeM_b3zaV1nUw=w1992-h1494-no
I see. My seat is sort of suspended on both ends. Works fine.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The Cruzbike seat is supported along its length by the frame allowing it to be flatter and probably lighter. It is mostly flat and provides a wider surface area to sit/lay on than the frame (and looks good doing it).

The shape and ribs of the Thor seat provide the necessary stiffness and strength to support the shape and your weight/forces. Thor seat has two reinforced mounting locations, one at seat and one at back as identified below in green by Greg (maker of Thor seats).

http://www.thorseat.eu/en/how-to-fit-seat-to-recumbent-bike/

upload_2020-10-9_22-32-13.gif
Think of it like a suspension bridge with two support towers that support the full span. It needs good support at the connecting locations but the rest is supported by its structure. You can think of yourself as both the static load (bridge deck asphalt) and the live load (the bikes, cars, wind pushing and moving against it).

I’m sure any architects are rolling their eyes at my analogy by now. :rolleyes:

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
The Cruzbike seat is supported along its length by the frame allowing it to be flatter and probably lighter. It is mostly flat and provides a wider surface area to sit/lay on than the frame (and looks good doing it).

The shape and ribs of the Thor seat provide the necessary stiffness and strength to support the shape and your weight/forces. Thor seat has two reinforced mounting locations, one at seat and one at back as identified below in green by Greg (maker of Thor seats).

http://www.thorseat.eu/en/how-to-fit-seat-to-recumbent-bike/

View attachment 10224
Think of it like a suspension bridge with two support towers that support the full span. It needs good support at the connecting locations but the rest is supported by its structure. You can think of yourself as both the static load (bridge deck asphalt) and the live load (the bikes, cars, wind pushing and moving against it).

I’m sure any architects are rolling their eyes at my analogy by now. :rolleyes:
I did see this on the Thor website, but somehow didn't get that it could be suspended by the two mount positions. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I now feel prepared to take the plunge and modify the bike, that is, after I receive necessary materials from Amazon.